Mohan Pathirisseri Kesavan
February 23, 1965
|Alma mater||University of Kerala|
Mohan Pathirisseri Kesavan (born February 23, 1965), known as Mohanji in the world, is an Indian spiritual leader, humanitarian, author, and motivational speaker. He is a domestically and internationally acclaimed spiritual guide and a well-known philanthropist. Mohanji has founded several non-profit organizations, such as Ammucare Charitable Trust®, Mohanji Foundation, ACT Foundation, and World Consciousness Alliance® among others.
Mohanji’s teachings aim to guide individuals in raising their internal awareness to help them understand themselves and accept and express their uniqueness in the world. He encapsulates these core teachings through the words “Be You.” He encourages people to live by the highest values of human potential, such as kindness, compassion, and non-violence. He promotes experiential spirituality and urges people to adopt a lifestyle of selfless service. Or in other words, make the transition from humankind to kind humans.
Mohanji is an animal rights advocate. He espouses the principles of non-violence (ahimsa), selflessness, and unconditional love through a vegan lifestyle. He is a speaker at worldwide conferences and events promoting plant-based cruelty-free lifestyles, spiritual well-being, harmony and peace, meditation, ethical business, and a range of topics connected to his core purpose.
Mohanji has authored three books, including "The Power of Purity: Essential Essays & Answers About Spiritual Paths & Liberation," "The Silence of Shiva," and "Mast: The Ecstatic."
Early life and education
Mohanji was born Mohan Pathirisseri Kesavan in Kundurkunnu (Palakkad district), Kerala state, India, to Dr. P. Kesavan Namboodiri and Sreedevi Namboodiri. He had diverse interests during his early years, including sports, literature, film, cricket, mountaineering, and martial arts. Mohanji obtained his bachelor's degree in economics & political science from Farook college, under Calicut University in India. He went on to obtain a master's degree in English language & literature from the University of Kerala in 1987.
After obtaining a master's degree in English language & literature from the University of Kerala in 1987, Mohanji embarked on a career in the shipping industry. His career started at Willingdon Island in Kochi on July 10, 1989, with Teejay Network Logistics Private Limited shipping company. He spent the bulk of his career in the Middle East, working with several reputed shipping and logistics companies, such as Mutrah Shipping Agency, APL, Indian Ocean Line, Hanjin Line, Norasia CSAV, Höegh Autoliners, MOL Tankers, Tokyo Tankers, Hebridean Cruises, Multiport and FedEx Cargo. He rose to leadership positions in his career and served as CEO / Country Leader in the latter part of his career until 2012 when he stepped away from his corporate career to pursue the path of selfless service on a full-time basis.
Mohanji's spiritual transformation began in 2000, following the tragic loss of his 4-year-old daughter Ammu in a road accident. This profound loss prompted him to embark on a personal journey to know himself and the true meaning of life. As part of this journey, Mohanji devoted significant time to spiritual practices, including stays in the Himalayas and daily spiritual practice sessions. Along the way, he experienced various subsequent challenges such as marital separation, job loss, and health issues like kidney stones and skin infections, each contributing to further detachment from external experiences and relationships. This inner journey ultimately led him to a profound state of inner silence, a pivotal milestone in his subsequent spiritual growth and philanthropic efforts.
He decided to turn the tragedies of his life into positive action, dedicating his life to the welfare and service of the world. Mohanji desired to help people in need and make the world a better place. He took inspiration from a saint who said, "Help those who are suffering, and you will find peace."
Over the years, Mohanji has been honored by many contemporary spiritual masters with titles reflecting his spiritual stature. Notable titles include Raja Yogi, Vishwa Kalyananda Bharati, Brahmarishi, Jagat-mitra, and Vishwa-mitra. However, he resonates most with "Jagat-mitra," which means "a friend of the world."
Ammucare® & ACT Foundation
Mohanji started Ammucare Charitable Trust in memory of his late daughter on October 15, 2003, on Diwali day in India. ACT Foundation was simultaneously launched in Dubai in the same year. From their inception to now, these volunteer-run non-profit organizations are committed to providing essential services such as food, clothing, shelter, education, and healthcare to those in need.
Ammucare operates across 23 states in India, while the ACT Foundation extends its outreach to 28 countries worldwide, including Australia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Canada, Croatia, Macedonia, Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the USA.
In parallel, Mohanji’s spiritual journey continued with his daily personal practices. He began to guide people on their questions, host satsangs (question and answer sessions), and deliver Shaktipat (a form of spiritual energy transfer). When he was living in Dubai, Mohanji also used to host a popular radio show called “Mohan’s World” with a company called Podme where he would answer various questions about life, spirituality, and related topics.
In 2007, his public teachings and spiritual discourses began to gain widespread acceptance for their transformative impact. He offered 2 free meditations “Power of Purity®” and “360 degree meditation” that year, and more meditations were delivered in subsequent years.
In 2012, Mohanji retired from the business world to dedicate himself entirely to his mission of raising spiritual awareness and alleviating suffering through charitable initiatives. Mohanji dedicated his life to adding value to society through various practices and initiatives. These meditations and techniques have been translated into multiple languages and are now conducted worldwide, benefiting people from various backgrounds.
In response to the growing demand, Mohanji Foundation was established to serve as a platform for these spiritual methods and teachings, with one goal: "Adding Value to the World". The foundation is headquartered in Switzerland. Official Mohanji Foundation bodies are registered in 17 countries globally, spanning 6 continents. However, the presence of Mohanji’s teachings and practices spans over 90 countries and 40+ languages.
Mohanji’s teachings aim to guide individuals in raising their internal awareness to fully understand themselves and accept, recognize, and express their uniqueness in the world. He encapsulates this core teaching through the words “Be You.” He encourages people to live by the highest values of human potential, such as kindness, compassion, and non-violence. He promotes experiential spirituality and urges people to adopt a lifestyle of selfless service. Or in other words, make the transition from humankind to kind humans.
On the spiritual side, his teachings emphasize the value of alignment of body, mind, and soul, focusing on liberation from sensory distractions and ego. Selflessness and unwavering faith in one's master and tradition are key. Unconditional love, compassion, and kindness are tools for personal and global transformation.
To aid this entire journey, Mohanji offers various methods, including guided meditations, kriyas, techniques for healing and harmonizing oneself, and other dynamic techniques. At all points, he stresses the virtues of non-violence (ahimsa) and unconditional love for all beings. These teachings promote inner transformation and connection with universal consciousness.
Organizations and Initiatives
Mohanji has established a diverse range of organizations and initiatives, including Ammucare Charitable Trust®, ACT Foundation, Mohanji Foundation, Himalayan Academy of Traditions (Schools of Yoga, Dance, Languages, Music, Martial Arts & Therapies), Gurulight and World Consciousness Alliance®. Furthermore, Mohanji has set up various initiatives and platforms such as ACT4Hunger, Early Birds Club, Fruit Tree Plantation Drive, Mohanji Youth Club and Success Mpowered, each with a distinct focus and purpose.
He has personally trained over a hundred individuals who are committed to serving the global community as Mohanji Acharyas. Their primary mission is to exemplify the core principles of the tradition and to ensure that Mohanji's teachings are disseminated worldwide, thus perpetuating his universal message.
In addition, he has inspired the formation of conscious businesses such as Ahimsa Vegan Cafe, Vegan First, and Divine M Heritage.
Mohanji has established centers and spaces around the world intended to bring people together without regard for distinctions of race, color, or nationality. These centers are designed in alignment with the natural environment and convey a powerful message to the global community: that it is indeed possible to coexist in harmony with all species. These centers can be found in Australia, Canada, India (Bharat), Serbia, Slovenia, South Africa, the United Kingdom and the United States.
Practices and Meditations
Over the last two decades, Mohanji has been instrumental in introducing and facilitating a wide array of spiritual practices. These practices include Consciousness Kriya®, Conscious Walking®, Conscious Dancing®, Conscious Chanting, Mohanji Energy Transfer, the Forgiveness Process, and Awakening Yoga Nidra. Additionally, he has developed and shared seven distinct meditations, which have been translated into numerous languages and have impacted hundreds of thousands of individuals worldwide by aiding in their purification, healing, and elevation of consciousness. These meditations are Bliss of Silence®, Blossoms of Love®, 360 Degrees Meditation, Freedom Meditation, Power of Purity®, Shree Jagannatha Meditation, and Shirdi Sai Baba Miracle Meditation. These meditations are available in 40+ languages and are free to download from the official website www.mohanji.org.
To facilitate easy access to Mohanji’s meditations and teachings, an exclusive Mohanji mobile app is also available for free download both on iOS and Android platforms.
The "EMPOWERED" Signature Course offers in-person and online workshops designed to guide individuals on a transformative path toward their highest state of liberation. This comprehensive program, with the slogan “Making Masters,” introduces techniques and practices to remove fears and anxieties, foster clarity of life purpose, enhance self-connection, and achieve emotional stability. It serves as a powerful tool for personal growth and empowerment, facilitating profound positive changes in participants' lives. The goal of the course is to enable participants to travel on the journey of mastering their minds.
In recent years, Mohanji has engaged in various speaking engagements and conferences worldwide. Mohanji encourages his followers to adopt a vegan lifestyle to reduce violence and cruelty towards animals.
In 2021, he spoke at a vegan conference and the "7th World Parliament of Science, Religion, and Philosophy." He also addressed a Rotary club in Turkey. In 2022, he was a speaker at the Rotary District Conference in the USA and delivered keynote speeches in South Africa and India. He played a prominent role at the "Amrut Manthan" Saints meeting in India, including business and interfaith conferences. He was the Chief Guest at the 15th annual convention of the Sarva Dharma Bharatiya Sansad (National Parliament of All Religions), held in Noida in April 2023. He addressed the House of Commons in London, UK, on "Seva (selfless service) for humanity" in 2023.
Mohanji has also been a keynote speaker at the "Conscious Leadership and Ethics Summit" in Johannesburg, South Africa, and a speaker at various institutions globally, including the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic (2022), the National Cadet Corps (NCC) in Bangalore, India (2022), KISS - Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences in Bhubaneswar, India (2023), Bournemouth University in the UK (2023), the University of Notre Dame in Rome, Italy (2023), and HU University of Applied Sciences in Utrecht, Netherlands (2023), where he shared insights on topics ranging from leadership and ethics to happiness and harmony.
Awards and Recognitions
- Mohanji was conferred the title of "Brahmarishi" by Avadhoota Nadananda (2016).
- He was honored with the Shivananda World Peace Award for his dedication to global unity and peace by the Sivananda World Peace Foundation (2018).
- Mohanjii was presented with the "Zulu Peace Warrior Stick" by King Goodwill Zwelithini during his South Africa visit (2018).
- Received the Seal of the Municipal District of Huarocondo, Peru, in recognition of his consistent global humanitarian efforts (2018).
- Mohanji was named "Most Influential Vegan" by PETA India (2021).
- The city of Frisco, Texas, officially declared April 16, as "Mohanji Foundation Day." (2022)
- Mohanji received the 'Mahaveer Award' presented by Nitin Mehta MBE, the founder of the Indian Vegetarian Society (2022).
- Mohanji was honored with the 'Global Peace Award' by the Chishty Foundation for his leadership and commitment to serving humanity (2022).
- Virginia House of Delegates commended the Mohanji Foundation for efforts to help the communities in the Commonwealth, and beyond, on February 24 (2023)
- The Power of Purity: Essential Essays & Answers About Spiritual Paths & Liberation (April 2011)
- Mast: The Ecstatic (October 2020)
- The Silence of Shiva: Essential Essays & Answers About Spiritual Paths & Liberation: 2 (August 2021)
In 1992, Mohanji got married to V.M Saritha and they had a daughter named Sreedevi Mohan (Ammu) on November 9, 1995. Ammu met with a road accident and died on August 23, 2000. He legally separated from Saritha in 2009.
In 2010, Mohanji married Biljana Radonic (name changed to Devi Mohan after marriage), whom he had met at a program in Dubai. They have a daughter, Mila Mohan, born on April 6, 2011.
In the media
- "All you need is simplicity, love, compassion and just emptying. Remove all concepts. Be free". www.speakingtree.in. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "International WELL Building Institute". resources.wellcertified.com. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohanji". www.goodreads.com. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohan Pathirisseri Kesavan Archives". Penguin Random House India. 24 May 2021. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohanji, the guru who finds you". www.lifepositive.com. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "About Mohanji". Mohanji's Personal Blog. 15 September 2009. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- Gulati, Praveesh. "Mohanji | Spiritual leaders". Vegan First. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohan Pathirisseri Kesavan Archives". Penguin Random House India. 24 May 2021. Retrieved 14 October 2023.
- "Brahmarishi Mohanji". My Dattatreya. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- Development, PodBean. "Mohanji Speaks | a podcast by Mohanji". mohanji.podbean.com. Retrieved 14 October 2023.
- "MOHANJI FOUNDATION UK - Charity 1177264". register-of-charities.charitycommission.gov.uk. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "ZefixWebApp". www.zefix.ch. Retrieved 14 October 2023.
- "Mohanji". The Mai-Tri Method. 25 February 2023. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohanji Centre: Your Haven for Inner Peace". mohanjicentres.org. 25 June 2023. Retrieved 14 October 2023.
- "Mohanji Datta Tapovan – Visit – Rejuvenate – Join". dattatapovan.org. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- Team, Editorial (7 April 2015). "Mohanji – The Mirror of Consciousness". awakeningtimes.com. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Experiences With Mohanji". Experiences With Mohanji. 28 September 2023. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "National Interfaith Peace Conference at Dargah Baba Tajuddin, Nagpur, Maharashtra conducted on 03rd Sept 2022 - New Delhi Times - India's Only International Newspaper - Empowering Global Vision, Empathizing with India". New Delhi Times. 6 September 2022. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- Peeth, Shree Datta Padmanabh (25 April 2023). "India delivers message of Unity in Diversity to the World: H.H Sadguru Brahmeshanand Acharya Swamiji". Shree Datta Padmanabh peeth. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohanji joins top execs at summit on conscious leadership". Ventureburn. 13 May 2022. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "DURING HIS VISIT TO SOUTH AFRICA IN 2018, MOHANJI WAS AWARDED WITH "ZULU PEACE WARRIOR STICK" BY HIS MAJESTY KING GOODWILL ZWELITHINI". Ishwar Ramlutchman Mabheka Zulu. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Riteish and Genelia's Imagine Meats, Spiritual Leader Brahmarishi Mohanji Among Winners of 2021 PETA India Vegan Food Awards - Blog". PETA India. 29 October 2021. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- Karnal, Sudhakarrao (8 May 2023). "Spiritual Leader Brahmarishi Mohanji on Vegan Living - Blog". PETA India. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohanji – A 'Friend to the World' awarded the prestigious Mahaveer Award at the Nehru Centre, (Indian High Commission) in London, UK". digitaljournal.com. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Chishty Foundation - Charitable Organization, Ajmer Shareef". www.chishtyfoundation.org. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mohanji". www.amazon.in. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "Mast - The Ecstatic". amazon. Gurulight. 19 September 2020. Retrieved 14 October 2023.
- "The Silence of Shiva". booktopia.com.au. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "FAQ – The Loud Silence". Mohanji's Personal Blog. 25 January 2010. Retrieved 4 October 2023.
- "My Life With Mohanji -Part 1". Devi Mohan Blog. 7 March 2012. Retrieved 4 October 2023.