Black & White Zebra
Number of locations
Black & White Zebra (BWZ) is an independent and fully bootstrapped media company founded by Ben Aston, a renowned digital project manager and entrepreneur with over a decade’s experience in the advertising and marketing industries. BWZ is headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, and acts as a holding company for a portfolio of online publications. The publications cover project management, product management, people management, customer experience, quality assurance and others with the goal of connecting people with the knowledge and tools they need to succeed professionally.
BWZ focuses on content creation that includes in-depth how-to guides. training courses, and member forums that help people succeed at work. This content supports organizations through better led and equipped teams.
BWZ has gained recognition as a pioneering indie company through their innovative monetization models which include advertising, training, membership and digital products.
BWZ has been featured in several media outlets for its unique platforms The company specializes in creating share-worthy content, community building, dynamic experiences, digital marketing.
Furthermore, BWZ has secured a wide range of prolific partnerships with SaaS companies including Monday.com, ClickUp and SmartSheet that have exponentially grown their businesses by leveraging the company’s services.
Black & White Zebra was originally started as a digital communications consultancy, creating websites for clients. In 2018, following success with the blog, The Digital Project Manager, they shifted focus to expand their publications and make the shift to become a media company. Their new focus was to create platforms for digital thought leadership in emerging digital disciplines. Their media properties enable learning and the development of best practice through articles, community, training and events.
Since its inception, BWZ has gained recognition for providing a range of multi-channel commercialization solutions to build, maintain and monetize customer ties. It combines review management, competitive insights, content management, enterprise-grade schema management, and digital marketing analytics into a single platform. BWZ has expanded its operations, segregating them under its six online publications.
The Digital Project Manager (DPM)
Launched in 2011, the DPM has become the world’s largest community of digital project managers that focuses on helping people manage digital projects better. The DPM includes a podcast, online events including webinars and workshops and an informative blog filled with resources, how-to guides, tips and tools. The DPM launched their online project management training called DPM School in 2018 and their online community membership in 2019.
People Managing People
Launched in 2019, this publication is People Managing People is a community and independent publication for people managers and culture creators. It aims at helping leaders lead and manage their teams and organizations more effectively to create and develop healthy workforces and workplace culture. In response to the rise of remote working as a result of COVID19, in April 2021, they launched the Remote Workplace Success Summit, a free event for managers, leaders, and HR leaders who want to create vibrant remote workplaces.
Launched in 2019, this publication primarily focuses on quality engineering and quality assurance thought leadership. It’s destined to become the largest, most influential and active community of technology and quality leaders in the world.
The Product Manager
Launched in 2019, this publication focuses on product management information and thought leadership, specifically designed to connect global product managers and owners.
Indie Media Club
Launched in 2020, this publication acts as a platform to connect entrepreneurs in the media industry.
The newest publication, launched in collaboration with Erika Ng in 2021 acts as an evidence-based behavioral health resource, comprising well-researched data especially concerning young children. It aims to help people make informed healthcare decisions.
- "Black & White Zebra - Crunchbase Company Profile & Funding". Crunchbase. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Revenue options for content creators". Business Podcast for Startups. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- Inc, Datability Solutions. "Own Thy Audience - The Zebras That Create Purposeful Content With Ben Aston". www.izooto.com. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Businessology". Businessology. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- link, Get; Apps, Other. "The Sunday Lunch PM meets Ben Aston, The Digital PM". Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- ""Frame your feedback" With Ben Aston". thriveglobal.com. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Black & White Zebra - The digital communications consultancy | Thinking, Designing & Developing for a digital world". web.archive.org. 28 July 2013. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "064 – Getting into – or out of – Project Management, with Ben Aston of The Digital Project Manager podcast". Project Management Happy Hour. 2 December 2020. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Black & White Zebra". web.archive.org. 30 October 2018. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "How agencies can avoid scope creep with client projects (featuring Ben Aston)". Small Agency Growth Alliance. 12 November 2019. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "E78 Ben Aston: Project Management from an Expert". DUDE | The Perfect Outsourcing Solution for Digital Agencies. 3 December 2020. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "PMI Washington, DC Chapter". pmi.org. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- FM, Player. "Anthoney Pavelich with Ben Aston, Part 1". Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Side Hustle to Over 3 Million in Annual Recurring Revenue (Ben Aston - The Digital Project Manager)". Zeitzwolfe Accounting. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Free Remote Workplace Success Summit For People". www.thecowboychannel.com. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "E168: Masterful project management and how to avoid scope creep with Ben Aston". UGURUS. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- Bullas, Jeff. "How to Start a $3 Million Side Hustle with Ben Aston". Jeffbullas's Blog. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Digital Marketing Masters Podcast: 142 - Building & Monetizing Niche Communities With Ben Aston on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Episode 28: Asking Questions to Drive Positive Impact". Voltage Control. 26 January 2021. Retrieved 21 September 2021.
- "Project Manager". Agency Management Institute. Retrieved 21 September 2021.