Yassir Jamal (born 27 february 1986) is a Moroccan music composer and dance show producer based in Kharkiv, Ukraine. He is considered as one of the most influencing artists in the Bellydance Art. Jamal is a highly acclaimed Darbuka player and has produced multiple music albums and instructional DVDs along with recording exclusive tracks for international belly dancers, as well as the exclusive drum solos. Jamal has composed over 320 exclusive drum solos and musics that are reflective of the oriental culture and traditional music.
Jamal has been known for his collaborations and has performed and toured nationally and internationally. He has made numerous appearances on several dance shows, including The Kingdom of Love, The Wind of Orient and The Ceremony. Jamal is the beacon of a diverse, artistic and cultural scene blended with unique belly dance talents.
Early life and education
Jamal was born in Kenitra, Morocco. He attended the Abdelmalek Essaadi High School. During his formative years in Kenitra Jamal became a self-taught percussionist. Jamal started to play drums when he was 11 years old and learned different rhythms and music belonging to other nations and folklores. He also collaborated with several musicians and music bands in Morocco.
Jamal for his higher education attended Ibn Tofail University where he earned his bachelor’s and master’s degree. He has also received Certifications from Ibn Tofail University, National School of Management - ENCGT - Tangier, Schools of Management - IAE, Montpellier and Grenoble - France and the University of Sevilla in Spain. Jamal did his PhD in Strategic Management from Kharkiv National University of Economics, Ukraine.
Jamal was later invited as guest in the throne ceremony of 2017. He was also a delegate of Morocco in multiple international youth events including the Youth Forum 2009 at the UNESCO, Paris, France and the International Youth Meeting 2010 held in Bari, Italy and The international Youth Conference in 2010 held inIstanbul, Turkey.
At the age of 11, Jamal learned how to play drums and experimented his style in several genres by playing with a diverse range of musical bands that specialised in Reggae, Flamenco, Rumba, Western, Moroccan, Egyptian, Lebanese and African music. He became a self-taught percussionist from a very young age. Jamal eventually worked on his finger technique by learning from Turkish, Indian, Persian and Cuban percussionists. These skills helped him develop a unique style and become a darbuka maestro.
Soon after that he decided to start playing for international belly dance artists. During his career, he has worked with a number of renowned international belly dancers such as Randa Kamal, Alla Kushnir, Tito Seif, Asmahan, Aziza of Canada, Dariya Mitskevitch, Alex DeLora, Marta Korzun and Yulianna Voronina amongst others. He has composed exclusive Belly dance Tabla Solos for Sadie, Didem, Anastasia Biserova and many others.
Jamal gained recognition for his talent which enabled him to perform all around the world. He has performed in Spain, Ukraine, Russia, France, Italy, Switzerland, Sweden, Romania, Latvia, Portugal, Lithuania, Estonia, Japan, Greece, South Korea, China, Kazakhstan, Germany, Poland, Netherlands, UK, Morocco and Mexico.
Jamal along with performing also teaches. He regularly organises unique and creative workshops for belly dancers and drummers. His compositions and technique are also used by teachers in several countries. From 2015 to 2018 Yassir Jamal was producer with TOPSHOW Organization specialized in Dance, X'ian, China.
Jamal has also collaborated with different organizations in multiple dance shows events including "The Kingdom of Love" organized by the embassy of Morocco in Kyiv, Ukraine in 2017 and The Wind of Orient organized in Quebec, Canada in collaboration with les nuits d'emeraudes Association, and The Ceremony, Parade of Nations organized by Fashion of diplomacy in collaboration with the embassy of Morocco and other diplomatic institutions in Ukraine, 2019, Kyiv, Ukraine.
Jamal was featured in the book Danza Oriental en Egipto as a renowned Darbouka Player and famous composer of Bellydance Drum solos and he gave several tv Interviews in France (France 3 tv), Morocco (Hespress), Ukraine and Russia.
Jamal is a passionate artist who believes in helping dancers get a better understanding of the principles and philosophy of Art. He is dedicated to spreading the information about the rich history of Bellydance. His main vision is to make bellydance luxury with the same level as opera and ballet.
Jamal is married and has a daughter.
- Eternity (Bellydance Tabla Solos), EP released in 2013
- Luxury Bellydance Drum Solos - Vol 1, released in 2020
- Black Eyes, released in 2020
- The Tabla Notes, released in 2020
- Darbouka Reggaeton, EP released in 2020
In the media
- "Is belly dance art? Yassir Jamal believes so". El Universal (in español). 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "من خُطب الحسن الثاني". Hespress (in العربية). Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- Yassir Jamal. When people listen, everything can work., retrieved 2020-08-17
- "Nantes. Oriental Night Show, retour en images".
- "نغمـــة .. الدربوكة". Hespress. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "The UNESCO YOUTH FORUM" (PDF). The UNESCO YOUTH FORUM.
- "Reach out to the National Commissions, and make your voice count, says Sane" (PDF). voice of the 6th UNESCO Youth Forum.
- الرقص المغربي في أوكرانيا, retrieved 2020-08-17
- "روعة الصحراء المغربية". Hespress. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "ورد المغرب". Hespress. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- رسالة مغربي بأوكرانيا في ظل انتشار "كورونا", retrieved 2020-08-17
- "موسيقى إيناس إيناس". Hespress. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "مسجد الحسن الثاني". Hespress. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- "صداقة المغرب وأوكرانيا". Hespress. Retrieved 2020-08-17.
- Le360 (2017-07-30). "Vidéo. Les Marocains du monde manifestent leur engagement pour la cause nationale". Le360.ma (in français). Retrieved 2020-08-17.