|Born||May 18, 1957|
|Alma mater||State University of New York College at Potsdam|
Sandy Maine (born May 18, 1957 ) is an American serial entrepreneur, author, business consultant, and Philanthropist. She is the founder of Sunfeather Natural Soap Company and Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm, both known for producing customized artisan body-care products. Sandy also oversees her families “Adirondack Riverside Cabins” business a unique and tranquil space designed by Maine, known for hosting Yoga and Shin Rin Yoku retreats every year.
Ms. Maine is also a renowned author of six soap books and has over three decades of experience in the retail and fragrance industry. She has created formulas for Burt's Bees, Nutraceutical Corporation, Sunfeather Natural Soap Company and many others playing an integral behind the scenes role in developing successful products for many businesses. Ms. Maine also distinguished herself as the soap maker for Oprah Winfrey’s 50 th birthday party having provided 12 custom blends and over 2400 lbs of soap bricks to help celebrate the occasion.
Ms. Maine, throughout her career, has been inclined towards promoting and supporting small businesses and guiding them in their entrepreneurial journeys. Her knowledge and her craft-inspired many entrepreneurial endeavors in the domain of soap and cosmetic micro business in the 1980s and 1990s. Apart from that, she has also been involved in several philanthropic endeavors, such as Community Supported Business Start-ups, The Reh Center for Entrepreneurship, and others.
Early life and education
Ms. Maine was born on May 18, 1957, in Cheyenne, Wyoming to an Airforce military family. As a child, she also lived in Japan, South Dakota, and the Finger Lakes Region of NY.
After graduating from Marcus Whitman High School in 1974, Maine enrolled in Finger Lakes Community College, where she pursued an Associate of Arts degree. In 1976 Sandy went to SUNY Potsdam, where she acquired a Bachelor of Arts degree graduating Magna Cum Laude.
After graduating from college, Maine studied Wilderness Leadership at North Country Community College in Saranac Lake and became a freelance part-time Adirondack Wilderness Guide until she started her family in 1988. In 2012 Sandy continued her education at Jeanne Rose School of Natural Perfumery in San Francisco, California.
Maine started her life long career in 1979 when she founded Sunfeather Natural Soap Co, Inc. Initially, she facilitated the operations of this firm in her farmhouse kitchen honing her knowledge of fragrant, medicinal herbs, and soap making. Under her leadership, Sunfeather Natural Soap Co. grew exponentially, where she focused on product development, sales, and marketing. In 2011, the Brand was sold to Nutraceutical Corporation. She then became the head of product development for the Corporation, working directly with new and existing private label customers until 2015.
In 2006, Maine founded Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm, leveraging her prior experience and merging her newfound knowledge of natural perfumery which she acquired from The Jeanne Rose School of Natural Perfumery. This venture of Maine focuses on using medicinal and fragrance plants in the production of custom skin and body care products as well as candles inspired by the wilderness region in which she lives. All the products of Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm are manufactured in her soap and candle factory 5 miles from her farm. She also works with local cedar distillers and trappers to harvest and source unique regional aromatics and scents.
In 2018 Ms. Maine founded the Adirondack Riverside Cabin, which she renovated on the back of her property on the St Regis River operating from spring through fall. Three other cabins were added by 2021. Sandy offers Yoga and Forest Emersion (Shin rin yoku) retreats at these cabins each year. The 2022 retreat is scheduled for July.
Over the course of her career, Ms. Maine has authored three soap-making books, a business startup book, and a children’s book about Miracle the White Buffalo.
- Herbal Homekeeping: Simple Recipes for a Naturally Clean Abode. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- Soap Book. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- Maine, Sandy (1997). Soothing soaps for healthy skin. Interweave Press. ISBN 978-1-883010-36-2. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- Creating an Herbal Bodycare Business (Making a Living Naturally). Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- Clean, Naturally. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
Ms. Maine was the founder and Board President of the nonprofit Community Supported Business Start-ups, which was launched in January of 2007 and disbanded in 2012. CSBU was created to gather funds through grants and private donations to assist in the identification, funding, and provision of business-related support to startups in rural Northern New York.
Maine was also a former Board Member for The Reh Center for Entrepreneurship at Clarkson University for over eight years. During this time, she helped to boost local economic growth by fostering partnerships between local businesses and Clarkson University students.
Maine is married to Louis, and the couple have three children, who they raised on their hobby farm in the Northern Adirondacks. They also have one grandchild.
In the media
- Mueller, Cleo; Parishville, in. "North Country at Work: Running a North Country soap business". NCPR. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "A Clean Break with Workplace Tradition". Bloomberg.com. 3 November 2004. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "About Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm". newyorkmakers.com. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "SUNY Potsdam Honors Sandra Maine '78 with 2013 Leadership Through Service Award". readme.readmedia.com. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm". New York Makers. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Adirondack Fragrance Farm". mediazilla.com. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Meet the Maker: Sandy Maine of Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm". New York Makers. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Adirondack Fragrance & Flavor Farm - Handmade Soap and Fragrance". Mood of Living. 7 May 2018. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Adirondack Fragrance and Flavor Farm | Soap Making Books". Adirondack Fragrance and Flavor Farm. Retrieved 29 September 2021.
- "Sandy Maine". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 29 September 2021.