Type of site
|Privately Held Corporation|
|Headquarters||New York, |
|Key people||Sean Kim (CEO)|
Rype is an online language learning app and e-learning platform, offering one-on-one live lessons via Skype web, iOS, and Android with native-speaking teachers. Currently, there are 10 foreign languages offered on the marketplace: Spanish, English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian, and Arabic.
Rype was founded in 2016 by Sean Kim. The company's first product was started as a subscription-based marketplace online that allows users to connect with language teachers via live 1-on-1 lessons online. They initially launched with Spanish as their first language, and expanded to French and English afterwards. The company is based in Brooklyn, New York.
In 2018, Rype added two more languages: Arabic and Mandarin. They also created an all-access membership, which allows members to have access to seven languages with one membership.
Rype Live is the initial product that was launched to connect users with language teachers online for live 1-on-1 lessons. It operates as a subscription-based membership model, where users pay on a monthly, bi-annual, or annual basis to gain access to a fixed number of private language lessons per month.
Beyond video chats, the online platform offers additional learning content and study tools that users can access in the Rype Vault.
In August 2019, Rype announced the launch of a new product, Rype GO on Kickstarter and Indiegogo, raising over $120,000 CAD.. The language app uses speech recognition technology and artificial intelligence to offer immersive conversation-based lessons using speech. The app also provides bite-sized video lessons that users can watch before the speaking lessons. User can also add-on private lessons as a member for real-life learning with language tutors.
- Maria, Anna (2019-10-07). "7 Best Apps for Learning a Language Like a Pro". FluentU Language Learning. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- Sahnoun, Yassir; WriteWorldwide, ContributorCo-Founder at (2017-12-24). "How Founder of Rype Sean Kim Went from Traveling the World to Connecting the World". HuffPost. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- Kim, Sean (2016-10-12). "This 1 Metric Is a Better Indicator of Employee Productivity Than Hours Worked". Inc.com. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- "Sean Kim: Habits and Routines of Entrepreneur and Writer". Tomas Laurinavicius. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Sean Kim, CEO of Rype". 7 Questions. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- "Language Learning Straight From the Source: Rype Review". Adventures & Sunsets. 2016-10-31. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "2019 Rype Reviews: Language Learning Software". www.consumersadvocate.org. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- Sahnoun, Yassir (2017-05-24). "The Ultimate Guide to Private Language Lessons Online". FluentU Language Learning. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Spanish Language Learner Earns $350,000 Helping Fellow Students". Side Hustle School. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- Kim, Sean (2016-08-12). "How we launched our startup without any technical knowledge". The Next Web. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Working at Rype". Glassdoor. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Spanish Language Learner Earns $350,000 Helping Fellow Students". Side Hustle School. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- Kim, Sean (2016-06-17). "7 lessons learned growing from $1,000 to $15,000 a month in 100 days". The Next Web. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "I Studied German for 20 Min a Day For a Year and This is what I learned". Learn to code in 30 Days. 2017-11-10. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- Kim, Sean. "Rype German - Private daily language lessons for busy people". Product Hunt. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Rype 2: A Brand New Way to Experience Language Lessons". Rype Magazine. 2018-04-04. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- by. "This Language Lessons Membership Will Change the Way You Learn Languages Forever". Best Products For. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Rype Review: The Most Convenient Way to Learn a New Language". The Clumsy Traveler. 2016-10-04. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- Kim, Sean (2018-04-16). "Introducing the World's First All-Access Language Membership". Medium. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Sean Kim: How to Grow Your Business By Writing For Major Media Outlets | EOFire". Entrepreneurs on Fire with John Lee Dumas. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- "These Innovative Startups Take Education to the Next Level". Observer. 2018-01-30. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- Arneson, Krystin. "Rype offers students one-on-one video language lessons via Skype — but it's a pricier and less flexible option than app-based language-learning platforms". Business Insider. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- "Rype GO: *Speak* a New Language With Confidence From Day 1". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- "Clever new language-learning app lets you practice speaking with an A.I. tutor". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Rype: Learn a New Language By Actually Speaking It". Indiegogo. Retrieved 2020-07-28.
- Greathouse, John. "Dropping Out Of College And A One Way Ticket To South America Guided This Entrepreneur To His Venture". Forbes. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- "Clever new language-learning app lets you practice speaking with an A.I. tutor". www.digitaltrends.com. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- Stepic, About the Author: Dragana (2019-08-06). "Rype Review: Speak a new language from day 1 – without feeling judged". The Frisky. Retrieved 2019-08-19.
- "Rype Go Language Learning iPhone App - Start Speaking New Languages from Day One". www.igeeksblog.com. 2019-08-07. Retrieved 2019-10-04.
- Stories, Mark Myerson on 08 16 19 under Product. "Rype GO helps you speak a new language on day one » Gadget Flow". Retrieved 2019-08-19.