Paul G. Hyman, Jr.
Paul G. Hyman, Jr.
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Occupation||Federal Bankruptcy Judge|
|Years active||1977 - present|
|Organization||The Florida Bar|
|Known for||Federal Bankruptcy Judge|
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Spouse(s)||Judy (deceased) |
Kelly Hyman (m. 2012)
|Children||Kaylee and Zachery|
Paul George Hyman Jr. is a Former Assistant U.S. Attorney and Federal Bankruptcy Judge. He served as Chief Judge of the Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida for ten years (2005-2015). Currently, he is serving as a recall Judge in the United States Bankruptcy Court. Judge Hyman is known for his extensive knowledge of bankruptcy laws. His judicial decisions are frequently covered as headlines in major print and online news outlets.
Judge Hyman was Co-Chairperson of the Bankruptcy Judicial Liaison Committee, and currently Co-Chairperson of the Communications Committee, and a member of the Business Law Section’s Executive Council. He is a member of and was the chairperson on the Archives and History Committee of the National Association of Bankruptcy Judges.
Early life and education
Paul George Hyman Jr. grew up in Miami, Florida. He received a B.A. in economics from Vanderbilt in 1974 and received his JD from the University of Miami School of Law in 1977.
Memberships and appointments
During his legal career, he has occupied many positions including:
- Assistant US Attorney
- Federal Bankruptcy Judge
- Chief Judge
- Co-chairperson for of the Local Rules Committee
- Co-Chairperson of Judicial Liaison Committee of Business Law Section
- Member of the Executive Council of the Business Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Chairperson of Archives and History Committee of the National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges
Judge Hyman started his career practicing at Britton Cohen Kaufman & Schantz in Miami specializing in commercial litigation from 1977 to 1979. After Britton Cohen Kaufman & Schantz, he took the position of Assistant US Attorney for the Southern District of Florida. In 1981, he again joined Britton Cohen Kaufman & Schantz and represented trustees along with debtors and creditors. in all types of bankruptcy proceedings.
In 1983, he moved to Denver, Colorado, and joined the firm of Holme Roberts & Owens where he practiced bankruptcy and became a partner in 1986. In 1993, he returned to South Florida when he was appointed as a Bankruptcy Judge for the Southern District of Florida. Judge Hyman has presided over many notable cases including Burt Reynolds Production, Inc, SunCruz Casinos LLC, and Southeast Banking Corp. From 2003 until 2006, he served as Co-Chairperson of the Local Rules Committee for the Southern District of Florida.
Judge Hyman also served as Chief Judge of the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida from October 1, 2005, until September 30, 2015. After his retirement in 2018, he consented to serve as a recalled Bankruptcy Judge in the Southern District of Florida pursuant to the regulations promulgated by the Judicial Conference of the United States. During his career, he presided over more than 50,000 cases.
In the media
- "Judge Paul G Hyman Jr". www.plainsite.org. Retrieved 2020-05-20.
- Admin, Blog. "Paul G. Hyman Jr. : Net Worth, Age, Height, Dating, Bio & Wiki!". Celebs Trend Now. Retrieved 2020-05-20.
- "Judge Paul G. Hyman, Jr. (Recall) | Southern District of Florida | United States Bankruptcy Court". www.flsb.uscourts.gov. Retrieved 2020-05-20.
- "Recall Appointment of Judge Paul G. Hyman, Jr. United States Bankruptcy Judge for Service in the Southern District of Florida | Southern District of Florida | United States Bankruptcy Court". www.flsb.uscourts.gov. Retrieved 2020-05-20.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2020-05-20.