John D. Orr
John D. Orr
Alfred John De Lery Orr
23 September 1965
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Other names||John Orr|
|Occupation||Entrepreneur, banking executive, lawyer, investment professional|
|Years active||1991 - present|
|Known for||Chief Executive Officer of FutureVault|
CEO of Amicus Bank
CEO of FirstCaribbean International Bank
|Title||Chief Executive Officer of FutureVault Inc.|
|Board member of||CAMH Foundation's Corporate Cabinet|
First Caribbean International Bank
CIBC Bank and Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd.
CIBC Trust Company (Bahamas) Ltd.
Law Society of Upper Canada
John D. Orr (23 September 1965) is a banking executive, lawyer, and investment professional. He currently serves as Chief Executive Officer of FutureVault Inc, as an advisor to the Arena Group, the Kessler Group, G2 Investment Group and Applied Data Finance and is Founder of Orr Capital Management. John is also Co-Chair of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health's Corporate Cabinet.
Background and education
Orr was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada growing up in the Toronto area and attended Ridley College, a private boarding and day university-preparatory school located in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
He went on to Western University, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics in 1987. He went on to enroll in the Bachelor of Laws (LLB) at the Schulich School of Law in Dalhousie University Halifax in 1988. In 1993, he enrolled himself in Master of Business Administration (MBA) program in the Ivey Business School at Western University.
Currently resides in Toronto Canada with his wife Lisa and his children Jack (John), Jane and Blake.
Following the completion of LLB, Orr joined Blake, Cassels & Graydon LLP in 1991 and stayed with the company for two years. After completing his MBA at the Ivey Business School at Western University, he joined Bennett Jones LLP as Corporate Securities Lawyer in 1995 and left the job in the same year.
After leaving Bennett Jones LLP, Orr joined CIBC as an Investment Banker in 1995. He was promoted to Managing Director in 1998 where he was responsible for CIBC's Caribbean and Asian businesses. Orr played a key role in a number of large transactions for CIBC, including the acquisition of Barclays' ownership stake in FirstCaribbean at the end of 2006. He remained at this position until he was promoted and appointed as Chief Executive Officer of CIBC's FirstCaribbean International Bank in May 2008. During his time at CIBC World Markets, he has held a number of positions in the investment and merchant banking units of CIBC World Markets.
FirstCaribbean International Bank is a relationship bank offering a full service bank offering market-leading financial services in Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, Treasury Sales and Trading, Retail Banking, Wealth Management, Insurance and Credit Cards. It has its presence in 17 countries around the Caribbean, with 3,400 employees in 100 branches and offices with approximately US$10 billion in assets and a market capitalization of US$1.5 billion.
2003 – 2006: CEO of Amicus Bank
Amicus’ principal brand is President’s Choice Financial, which had 1.3 million customers and $8 billion of assets. PCF is a value priced direct banking offer with its primary distribution through approximately 230 locations across the country, further differentiated through its leading loyalty program.
2012 – Present: Orr Capital Management
In 2012, Orr started his entrepreneurial career and founded, Orr Capital Management, an investment advisory company. He serves as the Managing Director of Orr Capital Management. Orr founded Orr Capital Management to pursue private investments in financial services and financial services technologies.
In 2017, Orr was named as CEO of FutureVault, Inc. an industry leading provider of secure, cloud-based document management solutions known as digital vaults.
- Senior advisor at Arena Investors, LP
- Advisor at Applied Data Finance
- Senior advisor at G2 Investment Group, LLC
- Senior advisor at Kessler Group
Memberships and boards
- Co-Chair of CAMH Foundation's Corporate Cabinet
- First Caribbean International Bank
- CIBC Bank and Trust Company (Cayman) Ltd.
- CIBC Trust Company (Bahamas) Ltd.
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- "Finance Lounge: John D. Orr - Chief Executive Officer". www.privatebanking.com. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- "FIRSTCARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE OF CHARLES PINK AFTER SIX SUCCESSFUL YEARS" (PDF). Ecseonline. 6 May 2008. Retrieved 27 December 2019.
- Staff. "New CEO appointed at FirstCaribbean | Cayman Compass". Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- "The Trinidad Guardian -Online Edition Ver 2.0". legacy.guardian.co.tt. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- "Financial News :: WISE :: West Indies Stockbrokers Limited". wiseequities.com. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- "Jamaica Gleaner Online". old.jamaica-gleaner.com. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- newsboy. "FirstCaribbean Wins Euromoney Award for Excellence | Bahamas News". www.bahamasb2b.com. Retrieved 2019-12-27.
- John D. Orr at Linkedin