|Born||1988 (age 33–34)|
|Alma mater||Art Center College of Design|
Gavriil Klimov, better known by the pseudonym Hexeract, is an award-winning Italian creative director, leading international designer, and keynote speaker, currently serving as the director of design at NVIDIA Corp. He is mostly known for his work in the making of Call of Duty: Black Ops III and StarCraft II. Klimov is one of the most pinned artists in the concept design category on Pinterest. He is also amongst the top 500 most successful crypto NFT artists in the world.
Klimov is a highly experienced individual who specializes in industrial design, hard-surface design, and robotics. He has a demonstrated history of working with companies like MJZ, Paramount Pictures, Kojima Productions, Nike, Intuitive Surgical, Activision Blizzard, and Warner Bros to name a few. In his diversified career, Klimov has worked on several high-profile projects such as State Zero, Walking Dead, Horizon Zero Dawn, 300, Life of Pi, Metal Gear Solid V, Starcraft 2, and Diablo.
Klimov rose to online prominence in 2012 when a post of his robotic designs - UNIT 06-T9 went viral online and ended up being the cover of 3D Artist Magazine. This magazine featured Klimov’s full-length interview focusing on his creative process. His work, since then, has been featured in various movies, games, magazines, keynotes, and gallery exhibitions such as Photonic Playground, Permanente di Milano, Gnomon School of Visual Effects, for which he also produced a training DVD for industry professionals. Klimov also received the 2019 Real-Time Live! Award at the graphics conference of Siggraph for his presentation on GauGAN.
Early life and education
Klimov was born in 1988 in Italy. He started using the computer at 7 years of age. His love for computer graphics was invoked by playing Warcraft and Starcraft. Klimov was also inspired by Caravaggio, Dante, Syd Mead, Marcello Gandini, and Craig Mullins.
After completing high school, Klimov enrolled in IED Milan but dropped out and upon getting a scholarship from Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, he went there and majored in industrial design and entertainment design. During this time, Klimov got the opportunity to work with Pixar Animation Studios on Toy Story 3. He was hired by Dice Tsutsumi.
Klimov started his career in 2009 as a concept artist intern at Pixar Animation Studios. During his time there, Klimov got the opportunity to work as a Vis-Dev artist on blockbuster films like Toy Story 3, Brave, and Day & Night. In the next year, he worked with the Blizzard Cinematics Team and worked on matte, keyframe, and concept painting. He was also involved in the making of Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm as an additional cinematics concept artist.
In 2012, Klimov became a freelance concept designer forming his brand Hexeract where he worked on numerous projects in a period of three years with several prolific clients like Paramount Pictures, FatFace Productions, Guerrilla Games, Warner Brothers, Oculus Rift, Tyler West Studio, and others.
In 2012, Klimov also started working at Rhythm & Hues as a concept artist and VFX designer. During his year-long tenure there, Klimov actively participated in the making of 300: Rise of an Empire, Winter's Tale, Life of Pi, and Unannounced Projects. Soon after his exit from Rhythm & Hues, Klimov became a senior concept designer for Kojima Productions, where he worked for the rest of 2013. Simultaneously, Klimov was also involved in projects by Treyarch - the making of Call of Duty: Black Ops III and Call of Duty: Black Ops IV. He was responsible for the weapon, vehicle, prop, and character designs.
In 2013, Klimov became a master class instructor and guest speaker for the Gnomon School of Visual Effects. He taught for over a year at this institute during which he also gave lectures at Moscow Film School, Concept Design Academy, Red Engine School of Design amongst other events.
In 2015, Klimov joined NVIDIA as a senior production designer. In the past five years of his tenure there, Klimov was promoted to the post of art & design director and currently serves as a senior in that department. He has been the creative director for various NVIDIA projects, such as the RTX3090 Keynote event launch demo "Marbles at Night RTX” as well as working on the design of the RTX 2080Ti Cyberpunk.
Klimov as a keynote speaker has attended multiple global events such as Trojan Horse Was a Unicorn, Art Center College of Design, Concept Design Academy, Red Engine School of Design, and Moscow Film School.
|1||Diablo III||2012||Cinematics Concept Artist||Video Game|
|2||StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm||2013||Cinematics Concept Artist||Video Game|
|3||Destiny||2014||Concepts Designer||Video Game|
|4||300: Rise of an Empire||2014||Concepts Artist||Video Game|
|5||Into the Storm||2014||Concepts Artist ( Rhythm & Hues)||Movie|
|6||Call of Duty: Black Ops III||2015||(Senior Concept Designer||Video Game|
|7||State Zero||2015||3d vehicle art director||Short Film|
In the media
- "Gavriil Klimov Author Page". The Official NVIDIA Blog. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Gavriil Klimov". IMDb. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Hexeract's Vision of Metaverse and the Future of NFTs". 80.lv. 9 November 2021. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- Leone, Matt (30 October 2019). "What it was like working at Kojima Productions Los Angeles". Polygon. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Lead Horizon Zero Dawn Dev Mike Nash Has Passed Away". PlayStation LifeStyle. 25 January 2021. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Horizon Zero Dawn Concept Artist & Design Lead Mike Nash has passed away at 36". Shacknews. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Design Techniques for 3D Concept Art | The Gnomon Workshop". www.thegnomonworkshop.com. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "How NVIDIA's Marbles RTX Demo was Textured with Substance". Substance 3D - Magazine. 17 September 2020. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "November 2014 Photos". Photonic Playground. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- Conferences, SIGGRAPH (1 August 2019). "Real-Time Live! Stuns at SIGGRAPH 2019". ACM SIGGRAPH Blog. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "GauGAN Wins Major Awards at SIGGRAPH 2019's Real Time Live Competition". NVIDIA Developer Blog. 31 July 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "GauGAN Will Draw Your Landscape For You". www.i-programmer.info. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- December 12, Leonard Teo- (12 December 2013). "Concept Artist Gavriil Klimov". ArtStation Magazine. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "GauGAN and Omniverse". fxguide. 17 April 2020. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Gnomon ships new Gavriil Klimov concept art training | CG Channel". cgchannel.com. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Storm: Conceptual Visions for Film and Games". Gnomon — School of Visual Effects, Games & Animation. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "The Super Impressive Mech Art of Gavriil Klimov | 3d Artist". www.this-is-cool.co.uk. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- Strategy, Moor Insights and. "NVIDIA Adds Next Layer Of AI Automation Development Platforms With Isaac". Forbes. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "WATCH: 'Marbles at Night' Demo Illuminates Future of Graphics in NVIDIA Omniverse". Animation World Network. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "NVIDIA RTX: The Sol of a Machine". fxguide. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2021.
- "Gavriil Klimov: Artist Interview". 3dtotal. Retrieved 15 November 2021.