|Born||January 16, 1975|
Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
|Other names||Sardar Tuktuk|
|Occupation||Vice President, HR at Reliance Jio|
|Home town||Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh|
|Height||179 cm (5 ft 10 in)|
|Spouse(s)||Jaspreet Kaur Khanduja|
|Children||Amanbeer Singh Khanduja|
Harjeet Khanduja is an Indian business executive, speaker, writer, poet and HR leader. He currently serves as Vice President, HR at Reliance Jio and has held positions at Tata Motors, Nicholas Piramal, Reliance Retail and Anthelio. Khanduja is also known for his TEDx talks and lectures at IIMs and IITs inspiring the youth. He is considered as a leader in human resource technology and hold two patents on HR Technology and one patent is due for approval.
Khanduja has also written stories in books, Chicken Soup for an IITian’s soul and is a contributing writer for several magazines including People Matters, Business Manager, SightsinPlus, Education Post, Human Factor, IT Next, and People and Management. He has contributed to a book named "Touched by Parkinsons" and got featured in “Heroes Amongst Us”, an inspirational book by Dr. Amit Nagpal, depicting real life stories of ordinary people who achieved extraordinary success. He has also announced that he is coming up with a book, Nothing about Business in 2020.
Khanduja is a keynote speaker and speaks frequently at conferences and industry events on the topics of human resource and human resource technology. He first appeared on Indian television in 1997 on Doordarshan, since then he has been regularly seen on SAB TV and NDTV.
Early life and education
Khanduja was born on 16 January 1975 in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, India. Right from a young age, he has always been zestful about performing and has participated in several Hasya Kavi Sammelans (Humorous Poetry Slams) and radio shows. Khanduja completed BE in industrial technology from Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee in 1996. During his time at college, he founded “Watch Out”, campus media body of IIT Roorkee and was also a recipient of Thomson Medal.
In 2005, he pursued MBA from Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Sciences. Khanduja also attended INSEAD in 2013.
Harjeet Khanduja is an Indian corporate executive for the telecommunication industry. He is currently the Vice President HR at Reliance Jio. Khanduja began his career as an Engineer Trainee for Tata Motors, where he worked for a span of 8 years. He was then a Deputy General Manager at Nicholas Piramal for 2 years. Joining Reliance Retail, he established all of the Company’s HR processes for its retail business and mapped them to the technology. A celebrated member of the Reliance group, Khanduja has seen this organization grow from 500 employees to 28,000 employees.
Later in 2009, Khanduja took a leadership role at the Conjoin group as Head of Talent Engagement and Development. After the company’s expansion, Khanduja took the CHRO role for the Conjoin group companies - Avotus and Anthelio. With his exemplary work, Khanduja won the Nasscom Diversity Award 3 times in a row for the Conjoin Group, resulting in him becoming the co-chairman of the Nasscom Diversity Committee.
Khanduja joined IBSL in 2012 as Vice President Human Resources. He built the leadership team of IBSL and established the HR process. His remarkable work helped the company grow tremendously, having about 100,000 employees in today’s date. Later on IBSL was renamed as Reliance Jio. As of 31 December 2019, it is the largest mobile network in India and the third largest network provider in the world with over 387.5 million subscribers.
Membership and appointments
Khanduja is a board member of Federation of World Academics and a member of HR and IR Committee of CII, Western Region.
- 2019: Top 10 Speakers of India by SpeakIn
- 2019: Top 25 HR Influencers in India by 40 under 40
- 2018: LinkedIn Power Profile
- 2017: Most Innovative HR Tech Leaders (Global) by World HRD Congress
- 2017: Pride of the Nation Award - Best CHROs of India by Asia One
- 2016: LinkedIn Power Profile
- 2012: HR Leadership Award - Asia HRD Congress
- 1996: Thomsan Medal - IIT Roorkee
His father, Sardar Kalyan Singh was a professor in Bareilly College. He too was a Hindi poet, whose influence can clearly be seen on Khanduja. His mother, Nirmal Kaur Khanduja was a doctor and a social activist. He is married to Jaspreet Kaur Khanduja, a fashion designer. The couple have a son Amanbeer Singh Khanduja. Khanduja is fluent in Hindi, English and Punjabi.
In the media
- "Anthelio: We currently have specialised openings in IT in India". Info.Shine. Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- "Search Patents - Justia Patents Search". patents.justia.com. Retrieved 2020-07-07.
- "Exclusive Interview with Harjeet Khanduja". Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- "The ConJoin Group Builds Experienced Team in India". www.businesswire.com. 2009-06-01. Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- India, Press Trust of (2019-05-03). "Narendra Modi Tops the List for the Top 10 Indian Speakers of the Month". Business Standard India. Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- "HR Tech". worldhrdcongress.org. Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- AsiaOne (2017-10-23). "Celebrating 70 Pride of the Nation Summit & 2nd Edition –". www.openpr.com. Retrieved 2020-07-05.
- "Award Winners - Asia Pacific HRM Congress 2020". www.asiapacifichrmcongress.com. Retrieved 2020-07-05.