Avery Allen Carl
|Born||May 5, 1988|
|Organization||The Short Term Shop|
Avery Carl (born May 5, 1988) is an award-winning American real estate agent, investor, and author. She is the founder and CEO of The Short Term Shop - a real estate firm that specializes in guiding investors through the process of buying and selling investment properties in the short-term (STR) and vacation rental markets in the United States. They work with investor clients with a focus on short-term rental properties.
Carl became a billionaire at the age of 31 after amassing a portfolio of over 30 properties (6 short-term rentals) spread across Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and Texas. She is an expert in matching investors with the best short-term rental opportunities. Carl is best known for strategically investing in short-term rental properties in great vacation retail markets. In 2020, she was named to the Wall Street Journal's Top 100 by transaction sides, as well as Newsweek's Top 500 real estate agents.
Early life and education
Carl was born on 5 May 1988 in Jackson, Mississippi. She later acquired a B.S. in Corporate Communication from the University of Texas at Austin. She spent several years touring the world as the lead guitarist in a punk rock band after graduation. She subsequently transitioned from performing to working in the music industry's business side, relocating to Los Angeles and holding positions at Capitol and Atlantic Records. She met her husband Luke, a Rock n Roll Disc Jockey on SiriusXM radio and an internationally known author, during a brief stay in New York City. They relocated to Tennessee in 2013, where Carl earned her MBA from Belmont University.
Carl began her career in 2006 as an independent marketing contractor for SXSW, where she worked for over four years focusing on digital marketing, events promotion, and social media content. In 2009, she became a brand partnerships intern at Atlantic Records, where she worked for six months. She then did another internship at EMI music, this time as a digital marketing intern. During this year, Carl learned the ropes of the music industry.
In 2011, Carl became a Set Costumer for Jennifer Black Design, where she worked for three years. In 2014, Carl joined ServiceSource as a Sales Account Executive, where she served for over a year. During her time there, Carl attained an average of 120% quota achievement and grew client business by $7 million over 4 quarters. In 2015, Carl became an account manager for Acxiom Digital Agency, where she worked for approximately a year. Simultaneously she also served as a marketing manager for SESAC.
In 2016, Carl ventured into the real estate industry as an investor for Metal Properties. In 2017, along with her husband, Carl established The Short Term Shop, a renowned real estate firm headquartered in Franklin, Tennessee. Within three years, the company has expanded its operations and opened offices in Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Panama City Beach, and Gulf Shores Alabama.
Carl is the author of Short-Term Rental, Long-Term Wealth: Your Guide to Analyzing, Buying, and Managing Vacation Properties, which was released in 2021.
Awards and recognition
- In 2018 Carl earned the Greater Nashville Association of RealtorsⓇRookie of the Year Award.
- Carl has been recognized as one of the Wall Street Journal's Top 100 Agents in 2020, which earned her the title of a top 1% real estate agent.
- In 2020 Newsweek listed Carl as one of America's Best Real Estate Professionals by sales volume, giving her the title of one of the "America's best realtors in 2020".
In the media
- "Turning Short-Term Rental Profits Into Long-Term Buy and Hold with Avery Carl - Ep. 666". Morris Invest. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- Kurutz, Steven (7 March 2012). "Lady Gaga's Muse Tests His Poker Face". The New York Times. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "179 – How To Make $120K A Year With Short Term Rentals With Avery Carl – Everything Real Estate Investing". everythingrei.com. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- Hartman, Jason (14 January 2020). "Women Leaders Of Real Estate: "There is an underlying assumption that women don't own property"". Authority Magazine. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "Define Your Niche … Short-Term Rentals – with Avery Carl". Real Estate Marketing Dude. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "The Short Term Show on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "Big Profits with Short Term Rentals with Avery Carl". stitcher.com. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "The Thousand | 2020 Individuals by Transactions | REAL Trends". realtrends.com. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "the real rockstar agents". theskeltongroup.com. Retrieved 21 December 2021.
- "America's Best Realtors 2020". Newsweek. 18 June 2020. Retrieved 21 December 2021.