Atlantic Hotel, Newquay
|Alternative names||The Atlantic|
|Address||Atlantic Hotel Dane Road, Newquay TR7 1EN|
|Town or city||Newquay|
|Construction started||March 1891|
|Roof||Mansard Roof (1892)|
|Design and construction|
|Number of rooms||57|
The hotel has 57 Sea View bedrooms.
History of Atlantic Hotel
The Cornish Architect SilvanusTrevail chose one of the most commanding positions on the north coast of Cornwall to built this new hotel. The Hotel would be one of the first luxury hotels in Newquay. The Construction of the hotel started in March 1891.
As the building progressed, reports appeared in London newspapers saying that Trevail's Atlantic Hotel in Newquay was to be 'the healthiest place in the country' and 'rendezvous of-students and bathers, natural historians, tennis players, golfers, and women sketchbooks'. Newquay Mercantile Association welcomed the hotel as a boost to the town's claim to be a Riviera as well as a summer holiday ground'.
The Four stories high under a mansard roof, with 61 bedrooms (originally), the hotel dominated symmetrical appearance has been disguised in many alterations many years later. Inside, the elaborate gasoliers illuminated the walnut furniture, marbled mosaic floors, and ornamental iron balustrading. Although it's opening in July 1892 was marred by a local outbreak of scarlet fever and a water shortage in Newquay, which Sivanus Trevail complained to the Newquay Board, nonetheless the hotel proved to be an astonishing success.
A new Ballroom was built in the 1930s. During both the first and second World War the Hotel was turned into a temporary hospital to help injured soldiers recover back to health. The hotel was reopened after the war, following some alterations.
The Beatles arrived in Newquay to film the experimental Magical Mystery Tour movie, based on a mystery tour around Britain.
In 1986 the current owners, the Cobley family took over the hotel and began a refurbishment to update the hotel.
The Atlantic Hotel has been considerably modified in the 20th century and has lost alot of its original architectural quality afforded by the architect Silvanus Trevail. The restoration of the building and harmonising of later additions could be a huge benefit to the town of this landmark.
- "Atlantic Hotel, Newquay | 4 Star Award Winning Sea View Hotel". atlantichotelnewquay.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "Atlantic Hotel- Newquay, England Hotels- GDS Reservation Codes: Travel Weekly". www.travelweekly.com. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "Cheers to 125 Years! - Atlantic Hotel Newquay". atlantichotelnewquay.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- Perry, Ronald (2008). Sylvanus Trevail: Cornish architect and entrepreneur. UK: Francis Boutle. p. 54. ISBN 9781903427439.
- "The history of the Atlantic Hotel - Atlantic Hotel Newquay". atlantichotelnewquay.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "The Beatles at Watergate Bay". www.watergatebay.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-09-27.
- "Cornwall Council - Character study" (PDF). 2019.
- Official website
- Atlantic Hotel on Facebook
- Atlantic Hotel on Twitter
- Atlantic Hotel on Instagram
- Atlantic Hotel on LinkedIn
This article "Atlantic Hotel, Newquay" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.