|Known for||Nature and Wildlife Photography|
|Spouse(s)||Saritha Susan Thomas|
Thomas Vijayan is an acclaimed Indian photographer and architect. Vijayan has received accolades for his photographs, notably claiming Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2015- People’s Choice Award. Vijayan is the second Indian and first person from Kerala to win the title from Natural History Museum, London. In 2019, he received the Grand Prize from Nature’s Best Photography Asia for photo, Peek A Boo.
His images are used worldwide by popular magazines for their cover pages and publications, including AAP Magazine, Wildlife Photographer of the Year Desk Diary 2020, Wildlife Photographer of the Year Pocket Diary 2020, NBPA Magazine, Emiratesinfllight magazine, Nature’sBest Photography magazine, RussianPhoto Magazine Lonely Planet, National Geographic, Traveller24.com and others.
From 2015, he is the brand ambassador of Nikon for Middle East & Africa.
Early life and education
Vijayan was born in Kerala, India and was raised in Bengaluru, Karnataka where is started his photography career. He graduated with a college degree in architecture.
Life and work
Vijayan was born in a family of photography lovers, from the age of 10, he was inclined towards photography, he started photography using an analog camera. Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary was his first photographic location, near to his house in Bengaluru. Since then Vijayan has photographed a wide variety of species including cats, orangutan, penguins, Komodo dragons, elephants, lions, polar bears and other wildlife. He has traveled all the 7 continents for photography.
Vijayan has done a detailed study on wildlife in these locations India, Russia, Africa, Kenya, Alaska, Mongolia, Indonesia and Namibia. His pictures are noteworthy for their capturing characteristic behavior of the wildlife. He is known for shooting the animal in its own habitat and for this, he spends days in the wilderness to get the perfect shot compromising on the food and basic living amenities.
From 2015, Vijayan has been one of the 'faces' of Nikon, and since then, he is the brand ambassador of the company for Middle East & Africa.
Vijayan is also a certified architect.
Awards and recognition
Vijayan has been conferred with following awards for his photography:
- 2016 - Wildlife Photographer of the Year
- 2017- Nature’s Best Photography Asia
- 2018 - “Wildlife Highly Honored” from Smithsonian
- 2018 - NBPA 2018 Photograph of The Year
- 2019 - Grand Prize Winner in Nature’s Best Photography Asia
- 2019 - Overall Winner in Southern Flinders Photo Festival
- 2019 - Runner Up in Siena International Photo Awards, Italy
- 2019 - Honorable Mention in 2019 Siena International Photo Awards, Italy
- 2019 - 1st place in SINWP Bird Photographer of the Year 2019
- "111 Best Wildlife Photographers in the World". www.tourmyindia.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- Saunt, Raven (2019-12-09). "Photograph of emperor penguin family wins wildlife award". Mail Online. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Profile: Thomas Vijayan". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Instatraveller: Thomas Vijayan". Outlook India. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- Praveen, M. p (2016-01-13). "Expat shoots to fame with a frame". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Dubai resident wins prestigious wildlife photography award". gulfnews.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Photographer Thomas Vijayan's passion for chasing wild cats". OnManorama. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Chromatic Photography Awards - International Color Photography Contest - Show WinnersGallery". chromaticawards.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Get the shot | Open Skies Article | Open Skies". Emirates Croatia. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "5 incredible photos you have to see from the Wildlife Photographer of the Year Awards". BT.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Intelligent SME issue 36 (February 2016)". Issuu. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Stunning wildlife photos capture moments of surprising animal behaviour". International Business Times UK. 2017-04-07. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- Pradeep, K. (2018-03-24). "Stories from the unknown wild". The Hindu. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- Ipe, Ann (2017-01-12). "Thomas Vijayan: Untamed passion for the rare frame". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- Museum, Courtesy of the Natural History (2016-01-11). "Wildlife photographer of the year people's choice award - in pictures". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Nature's Best Photography Asia 2017 Winners". pixcontests.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- gloveradmin (2019-11-22). "Best Wildlife Photography, Bird Photographer Of The Year". Glover & Howe. Retrieved 2020-01-31.