Thomas A Russo
Thomas A. Russo
|Born||November 6, 1943|
Staten Island, New York
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Alma mater||Fordham University|
|Years active||1969 - present|
Early life and education
Russo was born in Staten Island on November 6, 1943. He attended Xavier High School in Manhattan, a private Jesuit preparatory school. Russo pursued a bachelor’s degree in economics at Fordham University where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa in 1965. In 1969, he received an MBA from the Cornell Graduate School of Business, and in that same year his J.D. degree from Cornell Law School.
In 1969, Russo started working as an attorney in the Division of Market Regulation of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). In 1971, Russo became an associate at the Wall Street law firm Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft. In 1975, Russo was appointed deputy general counsel of the newly created Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and shortly thereafter became the first director of its Division of Trading and Markets.
In 1977, Russo became a partner at Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft, and subsequently became a member of its management committee. He specialized in SEC enforcement, broker-dealer law, and CFTC and Derivative (finance).
In 1992, he left Cadwalader and joined the Investment Banking firm of Lehman Brothers as its Chief Legal Officer and a member of its Executive Committee. Subsequently, he was also named Vice Chairman of the firm. He left Lehman Brothers in 2009, and in 2010 joined American International Group, Inc. (AIG) as Executive Vice President and General Counsel with responsibility for legal, compliance, regulatory, and government affairs until his retirement in 2016. At AIG he was a member of its Executive Committee.
Russo has authored several books and over 70 articles on topics in the commodities, securities and corporate legal fields relating to financial market regulation.
- Regulation of Brokers, Dealers and Securities Markets, Warren, Gorham & Lamont, Inc., Boston (1977), and Supplement (1979) Co-authors: Nicholas Wolfson and Richard M. Phillips
- Regulation of The Commodities Futures and Options Markets, Shepard's/ McGraw-Hill Inc., Colorado Springs (1983).
- The 2008 Financial Crisis and its Aftermath: Addressing the Next Debt Challenge, published by Group of Thirty, Washington, D.C. (2011) Co-author: Aaron J. Katzel
- "Thomas A. Russo, J.D./ M.B.A. '69,Shares His Ingredients for Success". www.lawschool.cornell.edu. Retrieved 2020-11-07.
- "Thomas A. Russo | FIA". www.fia.org. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Who Guards Whom at the Commodity Exchange? (Fortune Classics, 1980)". Fortune. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "THOMAS A. RUSSO" (PDF). gceps.princeton.edu/.
- "From Member of the Bar to Piano Bar: AIG's Russo Weighs Next Gig". news.bloomberglaw.com. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Thomas Russo, the Secret Scribe of AIG". Observer. 2010-11-03. Retrieved 2020-12-13.
- Staff, Reuters (2010-01-11). "AIG pursuing ex-Lehman lawyer to be gen counsel-WSJ". Reuters. Retrieved 2020-12-13.
- "AIG names ex-Lehman lawyer as general counsel". Reuters.
- Gupte, Pranay; April 11, Special to the Sun |; 2005. "Lehman's Russo: 'Create a Culture of Doing the Right Thing'". The New York Sun. Retrieved 2020-12-13.
- Johnson, Cornell. "Notable Alumni Archives | Page 2 of 9". Cornell Johnson. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Paul M. Barrett (1998-08-17). "Ousting Partners for Big Profits, Cadwalader's New Image Sizzles". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- News, Bloomberg (1992-12-04). "COMPANY NEWS; Lehman Brothers Picks New Legal-Affairs Chief (Published 1992)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Gupte, Pranay; April 11, Special to the Sun |; 2005. "Lehman's Russo: 'Create a Culture of Doing the Right Thing'". The New York Sun. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Cohen, Patricia (2019-04-17). "Lehman Brothers, a Family Saga, as Viewed by Some Who Lived It (Published 2019)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Thomas Russo, the Secret Scribe of AIG". Observer. 2010-11-03. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Lehman Brothers 'was a victim' of the 2008 financial crash, says ex-boss Tom Russo". Sky News. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Thomas A Russo". www.iie.org. Retrieved 2020-11-07.
- Lublin, Serena Ng And Joann S. (2010-01-12). "AIG Asks Former Top Lehman Lawyer to Be General Counsel". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Bansal, Paritosh (2010-06-30). "AIG hires ex-Lehman lawyer as compliance head". Reuters. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "Thomas A. Russo". IIE Scholar Rescue Fund. Retrieved 2020-11-07.
- May 18, Sonali Basak; AM, 2016 at 06:37. "AIG's Tom Russo exits after settling probes, suits as legal head". ThinkAdvisor. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "AIG general counsel Russo set to retire and open piano bar". China Daily. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Scism, Leslie (2016-05-18). "Ex-Lehman Lawyer Thomas Russo Retiring From AIG". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-12-13.
- "Derivatives Securities and Risk Management Conference" (PDF). fdic.gov/.
- Foderaro, Lisa W. (2009-12-12). "Colleges Turn the Economic Crisis Into a Lesson Plan (Published 2009)". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- Solomon, Sarah. "Where Are The Former Lehman Execs Now?". TheStreet. Retrieved 2020-12-13.
- RUSSO, THOMAS A.; VINCIGUERRA, MARLISA (1992-01-01). "REGULATION OF US DERIVATIVES AND TITLE V OF THE FUTURES TRADING PRACTICES ACT OF 1992". Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance. 1 (1): 99–102. doi:10.1108/eb024756. ISSN 1358-1988.
- "Regulation of brokers, dealers, and securities markets". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2020-11-09.
- "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Its Aftermath: Addressing the Next Debt Challenge" – via researchgate.net.
This article "Thomas A Russo" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.