Third Wave Water
Third Wave Water is an American consumer goods company that offers inline water systems and water enhancement products. The company is best known for coffee-focused water-additive mineral powder packets made from their patent-pending formula. The company is widely recognized for its patented Tethys and soluble capsules. Third Wave Water products are designed to optimize and balance alkalinity by minimizing the scale buildup and corrosion.
Third Wave Water aired on Shark Tank, America’s leading business reality TV show, and has been featured in several other media outlets like Dayton Business Journal, Gear Patrol, Daily Coffee News, The Manual, Sprudge, Barista Magazine, and others.
Third Wave Water was established in 2016 by Taylor Minor of Telemetry Roasters and Charles Nick of The Wright Cup. The idea of Third Wave Water was conceived on a typical dinner night in Ohio when Nick expressed his desire for making a concentrate of Minor’s perfected water blend for his coffee customers. This is when two coffee enthusiasts, Minor and Nick, collaborated and designed the world’s first coffee-optimized water soluble capsules.
The Third Wave designed a mineral supplement containing the perfect amount of calcium, magnesium, and sodium. This supplement, when added to a gallon of demineralized water, turns it into the suitable water that is compatible with the user’s coffee beans.
Third Wave Water launched its very first product on October 26, 2016, at The Barista Guild of America’s Bloom event in Chicago, receiving their very first online order in a month. Within three months of its inception, Third Wave Water gained massive popularity and became The Sprudgie Awards Finalists.
2017 for The Third Wave Water came with several media outbursts and advancements for the Third Wave Water. Several media outlets referred to the company’s products as “hipster buffoonery.” This controversy made Third Wave Water a center of attraction in the F&B industry.
Soon, Third Wave Water launched its very first campaign, Kickstarter, intending to raise $10K, which turned out to be a super success and raised over $25K. The company released flashy badges for the employees and also won in Knoxville, Tenn. CoffeeChamps Event.The company soon gained a substantial amount of success and was aired on Newswatch on AMC. It also won several contests in Poland and Romania, along with securing a second place in the U.S. Brewers Cup and a fourth place in the World Brewers Cup.
Third Wave Water aired on the Shark Tank, America’s leading business reality TV show in 2017, where the founders accepted an offer of $100,000 from Barbara Corcoran in exchange for 25 percent equity. After the Third Wave Water was aired on Shark Tank, they gained massive popularity. The people of Cedarville honored the company by designating an official day of the celebration named 'Third Wave Water Day.'
In 2019, Third Wave Water launched Tethys System for commercial Coffee settings. Tethys is named after the Greek mythological Titaness of freshwater. It offers a self-contained, plug-and-play simplicity and consists of a 40-gallon storage tank that can turn out up to 250 gallons per day with 60 psi of plumbed pressure. It also has three carbon filters, two reverse osmosis filters, and two 3M air filters for the atmospheric tanks. Third Wave Water also offers several negotiable leasing options for its customers, including a three-year and four-year agreement with installments of $330 per month and $260 per month, respectively.
Third Wave Water uses LED UV treatment and a powder dosing mechanism as water treatment methods.
This system receives water from a plumbed line and reduces it to zero mineral content through a combination of reverse osmosis and UV filtration, then adds back the company’s Espresso water profile.
The Third Wave Water capsules are compliant with The Specialty Coffee Association’s (SCA) guidelines for optimum brewing water.
- 1 Gallon (2 Pack)
- Carboy Mixer
- Classic Profile
- Dark Roast Profile (12, 1 Gallon Sticks)
- Espresso Profile
- Hipster Water Trifecta Pin Pack
- TDS Meter
- Jug Cover
- Gift Box of (2 packs)
- Gift Cards
In the media
- "Third Wave Water Launches Tethys System For Commercial Coffee Settings". Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine. 6 May 2019. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Price, Will (24 April 2018). "These Magical Little Packets Make Coffee Taste Better". Gear Patrol. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Cadwalader, Zac. "Third Wave Water Will Appear On Shark Tank This Sunday". sprudge.com. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Cadwalader, Zac. "Why Do Food Media Elites Hate Third Wave Water?". sprudge.com. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Third Wave Water Still Riding the 'Shark Tank' Wave". Cedars. 1 December 2017. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Where To Buy Third Wave Water From 'Shark Tank' To Make Your Coffee That Much Better". Bustle. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "New Technologies for Specialty Cafes Improve Water Quality". Water Quality Products. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Kennedy, By Lesley (20 October 2020). "How to brew a better cup of coffee, according to baristas and coffee experts". CNN Underscored. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Hipsters have finally ruined coffee". The Independent. 7 January 2017. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Third Wave Water Fills Shark Tank, Escapes with $100,000 Investment". Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine. 11 October 2017. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Third Wave Water — $100,000 Deal Fell Through After Shark Tank". 2paragraphs.com. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Dayton Startup Profile: Third Wave Water". Dayton Business Journal. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Lilly, Elizabeth. "28 "Shark Tank" Products That'll Make Your Everyday Routine A Little Easier". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- "Columbus Coffee Festival 2020 - Curated Take Home Experience Box!". ColumbusUnderground.com. Retrieved 21 October 2020.
- Driscoll, Kara. "Local startup to appear on Shark Tank in October". dayton-daily-news. Retrieved 21 October 2020.