Soft Kill is an american band originally from Portland (Oregon) of post-punk revival. Also, they are one of the bands that have called themselves on their personal facebook page as "sad rock", a new musical subgenre. Emerged from the post-punk scene, they have released five albums and several singles and EPs.
An Open Door (debut album) was one of the most prestigious releases of the last ten years of the post-punk genre, receiving excellent musical reviews. Bassist and singer of influential band in the 80s, The Chameleons, Mark Burgess took an interest in their music and he sponsored them for a tour around United States in addition to putting the voice on the song "On The Inside" of his fourth album Choke.
Soft Kill have been compared with major new wave bands such as Stone Roses, The Replacements and The Chameleons.
They began around 2010, when vocalist and guitarist Tobias Sinclair dissolved his band called Blessure Grave. The songs that Sinclair wrote for the second work of Blessure Grave was more oriented to the post-punk revival, led to the new Soft Kill's formation, even with it's former members Justin Gradin, Mattey Hunter and Shiloe Alia, who released their LP of debut, An Open Door.
After that release, Sinclair had health problems that left the band inactive. However, Sinclair continued to record demos and songs collected from the Circle of Trees collection (2013).
The band reformed to remain active as until 2014, with Owen Glendower on bass and keyboards, Conrad Vollmer on guitar and Maximillion Avila on drums. This formation was released in 2015, Heresy LP and the following year Choke, which was considered a tour de force for the band. In this album Mark Burgess, who was bassist and vocalist of The Chameleons, collaborated in the recording of the track "On the Inside".
In their latest studio album Savior (2018), the band takes inspiration from personal experiences such as the tragic birth of Sinclair's son, in whose delivery Sinclair's wife almost died. It was recorded at Kingsize Studios in Los Angeles and it was produced by Ben Greenberg.
- Studio albums
- An Open Door (2011)
- Circle of Trees (2013)
- Heresy (2015)
- Choke (2016)
- Savior (2018)
- How Can I Be Lost? EP (2011)
- Grandview EP (2014)
- Just A Body EP (2018)
- "Seven Hundred" (2012)
- "Selfish Love" (2016)
- "Five Point / Full Moon" (2017)
- "Let's Believe In Love" (2018)
Soft Kill in the Media
- Phares, Heather. "Soft Kill Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Soft Kill + artista invitado" (in spanish). Salarazzmatazz. Retrieved 23 November 2018.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Entrevista con Tobias Sinclair de Soft Kill" (in spanish). Eyescreamproductions.com. 12 February 2018.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Soft Kill pasarán con su gira por Madrid y Barcelona" (in spanish). Mondosonoro.com. 16 November 2018. Retrieved 23 November 2018.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- Sheppard, Oliver (12 September 2016). "An Interview with Soft Kill – with new "Choke" LP Details". Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- Official website
- Soft Kill on Facebook
- Soft Kill on Twitter
- Soft Kill on Instagram
- on 's channelYouTube