|Birth name||Shakal Carty|
|Born||January 6, 1985|
Saint Ann, Jamaica
|Citizenship||United States of America|
Shalkal (born January 6, 1985) is a Jamaican dancehall/reggae artist, real estate agent and developer. Shalkal is best known for his songs that are inspired by his Jamaican Heritage, such as Envious So, Come Money Come, Fi You Money, and Ungrateful Maga Dog. Shalkal is regarded as one of the genre's most prolific Jamaican artists.
Shalkal has gained much popularity in the country and has even sparked numerous dance videos on multiple social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, Tiktok, and YouTube. Shalkal’s music is available on his website as well as on all the music streaming platforms such as Spotify, Apple Music, Discogs, and YouTube.
Early life and education
Shalkal was born on January 6, 1985, in Jamaica. He grew up in Runaway Bay, St. Ann, where he attended York Castle High in Brown's Town. While growing up in an artistically inclined family, Shalkal participated in numerous lyrical competitions and everyday challenges, which resulted in him inhabiting his music style, which is infused with riddles and metaphors.
Shalkal joined a leading real estate firm based in Chicago, Illinois. Even after working full-time as a realtor/developer, Shalkal follows his passion for composing music. Shalkal’s debut song was released in 2019, titled Envious So, which immediately became a success. Soon after, Shalkal released his other popular songs Come Money Come (2019), Fi You Money(2020), and Money Dance (2020).
Shalkal is presently working on his next songs and is set to release an EP by the end of 2020. Shalkal has also assisted several local artists in writing lyrics for their songs. .
Shalkal’s music style is heavily influenced by the Jamaican culture and falls under the category of Dancehall and Reggae. His lyrics promote messages that reflect various aspects of society; for example, his song Ungrateful Maga Dog, released in 2020, encourages people to appreciate the help they get from others, especially when they rise to the top.
|2020||Put God First||Shalkal music Production|
|2021||Shalkal - Put God First (Official Audio) ft. Ninja Lipsy||Shalkal music Production|
- Envious So (2019)
- Come Money Come (2019)
- Money Dance (2020)
- Fi You Money (2020)
In the media
- "Shalkal: How the World Went Crazy for the New King of Dancehall". News.yahoo.com. Retrieved 30 March 2021.
- Thomas, Kyle (22 January 2021). "Shalkal is Excited to Expand His Audience Internationally With Real Music". The Daily News Times. Retrieved 24 March 2021.
- "Shalkal Upset That Dancehall Given PR Black Eye Over Spice Obeah Scandal". DancehallMag. 27 December 2020. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Shalkal talks of the 'Ungrateful Maga Dog'". www.loopjamaica.com. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- "Shalkal Raises His Voice for The Empowerment of Women". Big News Network.com. Retrieved 24 March 2021.
- "Jamaican artiste engages Zim producer, artiste". H-Metro. Retrieved 24 March 2021.
- "Shalkal says social media chatter around Spice degrades dancehall". www.loopjamaica.com. Retrieved 17 January 2021.
- "Shalkal calls out the 'ungrateful'". jamaica-star.com. 14 July 2020. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- "Shakal says 'Put God First'". jamaica-star.com. 16 November 2020. Retrieved 11 December 2020.