|Add a Photo|
Sega Bodega performing in Madrid, 2019
|Birth name||Salvador Navarrete|
|Born||16 February 1992|
|Origin||Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom|
Salvador Navarrete (born 16 February 1992), better known by his stage name Sega Bodega, is a Scottish music producer, singer, songwriter, DJ and co-head/founder of record label and collective NUXXE. Sega Bodega is known for his futuristic, bass-heavy and leftfield takes on electronic and club music, fusing various elements of UK bass and hip-hop music, deconstructed club, and trip hop music into his songs. He rose to prominence producing tracks for London-based rapper, co-founder of the NUXXE label and close collaborator Shygirl, gaining attention from the likes of Rihanna, using various NUXXE tracks for her Fenty Beauty commercials and fashion shows. Sega Bodega released various EPs before releasing his debut album, Salvador, in 2020.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Personal life
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Salvador Navarrete was born on 16 February 1992, in Galway, Ireland to a Chilean father and an Irish mother. He lived in Ireland until he was 10, which he was then relocated to Glasgow. producer since 2008 playing in various bands until he could understand how to use Digital audio workstation. Navarrete briefly studied at the Royal Conservatory of Scotland, but largely taught himself to produce music using online tutorials.
Initially, from about 2010, Navarrete operated under the moniker Peace, but retired it when the Peace (band)|indie rock band of the same name began rising to fame. He would later settle on his Sega Bodega moniker in 2012.
2012-2015: Early beginnings
Sega Bodega first began gaining traction through various remixes, from which he gained widespread attention from, and DJ gigs, supporting Lil B in Glasgow and playing the Field Day (festival)|London Field Day festival in 2012.
In February 2013, Sega Bodega released his debut EP Song Dynasty, a collection of tracks recorded as far back as 2010, but refined and polished after developing a better understanding of the technicalities to music production. The EP was released via the London-based label, Week of Wonders. This was followed by his 34 EP, released in May 2013, also via the Week of Wonders label.
In May 2014, Sega Bodega was a part of the lineup for BBC Radio 1’s Big Weekend festival, where he played his re-released single "Stay Nervous", and "Maryland", which would later appear on his 2018 EP self*care, among other tracks. He also relocated to London in 2014.
After taking a hiatus from releases, Sega Bodega returned with the October 2015 release of the first SS project, containing reimagined and 'alternative' takes on cult film scores, such as A Clockwork Orange, Eraserhead, Akira and Boyz n the Hood, among others. The project was self-released. This was followed shortly after by the Sportswear EP, released via the Activia Benz label.
2016-2018: NUXXE, Ess B, the start of collaboration & self*care
In June 2016, London rapper Shygirl released her debut single, "Want More", produced by Sega Bodega. The single marked the first release of collective and label NUXXE, co-founded by Sega Bodega, Shygirl and French producer and performer COUCOU CHLOE, formed from a desire to create music and art with an easy-going, free-flowing and fun attitude, seperate from other pre-establishing labels, and to introduce a sound that no one had heard before to the world. The single would also appear in a Fenty Beauty commercial later in 2019. The release of "Want More" was followed by a collaborative single in October 2016 from Sega Bodega and COUCOU CHLOE titled "SPIT INTENT", under the moniker Y1640.
February 2017 marked further collaboration with the single "CC", featuring Shygirl. The track was the lead single from Sega Bodega's next EP, titled Ess B, released later that month via the Crazylegs label, followed by one other Crazylegs release: the "Nivea" double single in July. More NUXXE releases continued shortly after Ess B's release, such as another Y1640 single in March, titled "WEEP", Shygirl's double single "MSRYNVR" in May, and COUCOU CHLOE's EP Erika Jane in September, on which Sega Bodega is featured. In October, Sega Bodega released a second installation of the cinema-inspired project, SS, featuring more reimagined takes on film scores such as Requiem for a Dream (this track also features Shygirl on vocals), Alien (film)|Alien and Ghost in the Shell, among others.
March 2018 marked the first release from French singer and producer Oklou on the NUXXE label: her EP The Rite of May, on which Sega Bodega contributed co-production on the final track, "Friendless". Sega Bodega also released a piano version of the song later in the year. The two would continue to collaborate further down the line.
In May 2018, Shygirl released her debut EP via NUXXE, Cruel Practice, featuring production from Sega Bodega on every track. The EP gained positive attention from multiple high-profile publications, such as Pitchfork (website)|Pitchfork, Crack Magazine and Tiny Mix Tapes|Tiny Mixtapes.
In October 2018, Sega Bodega unveiled his next EP, self*care, his first full-length project released via NUXXE. The EP also marked a new direction for Sega Bodega, as he began using his own vocals more prominently than on any other previous release. The EP is also notable for having artwork designed by PC Music musician and visual artist Hannah Diamond.
2019-present: Further collaboration, SEXORCISM & Salvador
2019 bore many collaborations with other indie artists, such as Cosima, Col3trane, Nadia Tehran and MISOGI, among others, as well as further collaborations with Oklou and Shygirl. NUXXE also released COUCOU CHLOE's NAUGHTY DOG EP in May.
2019 also marked NUXXE's highest profile artist signing and album release: American rapper and singer Brooke Candy and her October-released debut album, Sexorcism (Brooke Candy album)|SEXORCISM. The album features a slew of features from the likes of Charli XCX, Iggy Azalea and Rico Nasty, among many others. Candy had faced many delays and blocks towards releasing her debut album, with plans to release it dating as far back as 2014. When Candy and Sega Bodega spoke on a panel together for LoomFest May 2019 in Barcelona, Candy was made aware of the NUXXE label that Sega Bodega co-runs and conversations on releasing the album on NUXXE were struck. Sega Bodega himself co-produced one track on the album: the single "Drip" featuring American singer, actress and television personality Erika Jayne.
In November 2019, Sega Bodega released the single "U Suck", which would be the lead single for his debut album Salvador. The single delved into a more synth-pop direction, and again featured Sega Bodega's vocals prominently. He then played a headlining show in St Pancras Old Church|St Pancras Old Church, London with a backing string quartet in December, to promote the single and premiere upcoming music from his album.
In early January 2020, Sega Bodega announced his debut album Salvador for a 14 February release. The same day as the announcement, he released the single "Salv Goes to Hollywood". The track combines the more vocal-heavy ideas of his recent work, with his roots in deconstructed club music and intense bass.
Sega Bodega also continued to collaborate with Oklou on her debut mixtape Galore, released in September, co-producing two tracks, and Shygirl's ALIAS EP, released in November, acting as co-executive producer alongside Shygirl on the project. Among these established collaborators, Sega Bodega also contributed heavily to American rapper Zebra Katz's debut record LESS IS MOOR in March, and appeared on Dorian Electra's My Agenda project in October, as a featured artist (which was his first time appearing as such) and as a co-producer on two tracks.
In early November, Sega Bodega released a collaborative single with English musician Låpsley, titled "Make U Stay".
Sega Bodega has been open about his struggles with alcoholism, stating he often hid his anxieties behind drinking,  He has also stated that quitting alcohol was the hardest thing he has ever done.
As of 2020, he is 4 years sober.
Sega Bodega has also been open about his struggles with mental health, writing an op-ed and guide on self-care in 2018 for i-D, coinciding with the release of his EP titled self*care.
|"Stay Nervous"||Song Dynasty||Week of Wonders||2014|
|"Nivea" / "Bacardi"||Non-album single|
|"kisses 2 my phone"||self*care||NUXXE||2018|
|"Salv Goes To Hollywood"||2020|
|"Make U Stay"
|"All Around The World"
(featuring Desiigner and Chynna)
|"Jaxon"||Singles Club Executive Lounge: Celebrating 50 Years of Activia Benz||Activia Benz||2016|
|"I'll Never B"||LuckyMe Advent Calendar 17||LuckyMe||2018|
Songwriting and production credits
|2016||"Want More"||Shygirl||Non-album single||Producer||Blane Muise||Sega Bodega|
|"SPIT INTENT"||Y6140||Co-producer||Chloé Olivié||Chloé Olivié, Navarrete|
|"MSRY"||Shygirl||MSRYNVR||Producer||Blane Muise||Sega Bodega|
|"Flip U"||COUCOU CHLOE||Erika Jane||Co-writer/co-producer||Chloé Olivié, Navarrete||Navarrete, Chloé Olivié|
|2018||"Friendless"||Oklou||The Rite of May||Additional producer||Oklou||Oklou, Sega Bodega (add.), Krampf (add.)|
|"Rude"||Shygirl||Cruel Practice||Producer||Blane Muise||Sega Bodega|
|"Gush"||Co-producer||Sega Bodega, Dinamarca|
|"Asher Wolfe"||Producer||Sega Bodega|
|"U.A.F.W.M."||Quay Dash||Non-album single||Quay Dash|
|2019||"R U Lonely 2?"||Cosima||Co-producer||Cosima, Fryars||Fryars, Sega Bodega|
|"Ferment"||Murlo||Dolos||Co-writer/producer||Murlo, Sega Bodega||Sega Bodega|
|"Problems In Us"||Col3trane||Heroine||Co-writer/co-producer||Cole Basta, Jay Mooncie, Navarrete||J Moon, Sega Bodega|
|"Tell Nobody"||Nadia Tehran||Dozakh: All Lovers Hell||Fabian Berglund, Nadia Kardar Tehran, Patrick Alvarsson, Navarrete||Sega Bodega, Nadia Tehran, DJ HAYDN|
|"Bleached"||MISOGI||Blood Moon Underworld||Co-writer||Falls, MISOGI, Navarrete, Zain Siddiqui||Falls, MISOGI|
|"UCKERS"||Shygirl||Non-album single||Producer||Blane Muise||Sega Bodega|
|"Close To You (Moonlighting)"||Cosima||Non-album single||Co-producer||Cosima Ehni, Duncan James, Matt Parad||Sega Bodega, Duncan James, Matt Parad|
|"BB"||Shygirl||Co-writer/producer||Blane Muise, Sega Bodega||Sega Bodega|
|"Forever"||Oklou||Co-producer||Oklou||Oklou, Sega Bodega (co.)|
(feat. Erika Jayne)
|Brooke Candy||SEXORCISM||Co-writer/co-producer||Brooke Candy, Oscar Scheller, Ashnikko, Navarrete, Jesse Saint John||Sega Bodega, Oscar Scheller, Raf Riley|
|2020||"ISH"||Zebra Katz||LESS IS MOOR||Co-writer/producer||Zebra Katz, Navarrete||Sega Bodega|
|"MOOR"||Co-writer/co-producer||Zebra Katz, Navarrete, Michael Carr||Walter Gross, Sega Bodega|
|"SLEEPN"||Co-writer/producer||Zebra Katz, Navarrete||Sega Bodega|
|"LICK IT N SPLIT"
|Zebra Katz, Blane Muise, Navarrete|
(featuring Isamaya Ffrench & Izambard)
|God Colony||Cult||Co-writer||God Colony, Isamaya Ffrench, Izambard, Sega Bodega||God Colony|
|"god's chariots"||Oklou||Galore||Drum producer||Marylou Mayniel, Casey Manierka, Blane Muise||Oklou, Casey MQ (co.), Sega Bodega (drum), Florian Le Prisé (drum)|
|"rosebud"||Additional producer||Marylou Mayniel, Casey Manierka||Oklou, Casey MQ, Sega Bodega (add.), Florian Le Prisé (drum)|
|"M'Lady"||Dorian Electra||My Agenda||Co-writer/co-producer||Dorian Electra, Count Baldor, Sega Bodega, Will Vaughan||Count Baldor, Sega Bodega, Will Vaughan|
(featuring Sega Bodega)
|Featured artist/co-writer/co-producer||Dorian Electra, Sega Bodega||Count Baldor, Sega Bodega|
|"Like"||Alissic||Non-album single||Co-producer||Oli Sykes||Dan Lancaster, Sega Bodega|
|"SEVEN"||Shygirl||ALIAS||Co-writer/co-producer||Sega Bodega, Shygirl||Sega Bodega|
|"SLIME"||SOPHIE, Sega Bodega, Kai Whiston, Shygirl||SOPHIE, Kai Whiston|
|"FREAK"||Sega Bodega, Shygirl||Sega Bodega|
|"TASTY"||Co-writer/additional producer||Oscar Scheller, Sega Bodega||Oscar Scheller, Sega Bodega (add.)|
|"SIREN"||Co-writer/co-producer||Happa, Sega Bodega||Happa, Sega Bodega|
- "Sega Bodega". Notion. 2020-05-12. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- Dazed (2016-12-12). "The Glaswegian producer designing club tracks + tracksuits". Dazed. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "PRO FILT'R FOUNDATION EXTENSION SHADES | FENTY BEAUTY - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- Dazed (2018-05-24). "Club collective Nuxxe is bringing new sound to dance floors". Dazed. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Ferocious Perfectionist: Sega Bodega Interviewed". Clash Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Ferocious Perfectionist: Sega Bodega Interviewed". Clash Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "2014". BBC Music Events. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- Dazed (2015-10-30). "Hear the reimagined soundtracks for Kids, Gummo and Akira". Dazed. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Stream Sega Bodega's Sportswear EP". Fact Magazine. 2015-10-22. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "⚡ Sega Bodega shares collaboration with Shygirl "CC," announces new EP". HighClouds. 2017-02-15. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Sega Bodega pays it forward from his hard-bodied 'Nivea' video by sharing five of his favourite tracks of now". atractivoquenobello. 2017-07-18. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Essential: Shygirl's dynamite new single, 'MSRYNVR'". Mixmag. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Review: Coucou Chloe - Erika Jane". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Sega Bodega Launches 'SS (2017)' Mixtape". Clash Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- Dunn, Frankie (2017-11-09). "sega bodega just rescored all your favourite cult movies". i-D. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- qktheme. "OKLOU UNVEILS WONDROUS EP, THE RITE OF MAY". Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Shygirl : Cruel Practice". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Shygirl's cybernetic tracks and downplayed style is constructed for the club". Crack Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Music Review: Shygirl - Cruel Practice". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Sega Bodega unveils multidisciplinary project self*care". Fact Magazine. 2018-10-03. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Sega Bodega Shares Gorgeous New Single 'Mimi'". Clash Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Sega Bodega's Disruptive Pop Vision Feels Utterly Alive". Clash Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- Dunn, Frankie (2019-02-15). "cosima's 'r u lonely 2?' and everything else you need to listen to today". i-D. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Col3trane Delivers New Solo Track "Problems In Us"". HotNewHipHop. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- October 29, ChrisPublished; 2019. "Oklou – Forever". GORILLA VS. BEAR. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- Kim, Michelle. "The Ones: Shygirl's "Uckers"". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Review: Shygirl - BB". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "Coucou Chloe shares 'SILVER B' from new EP, NAUGHTY DOG". Fact Magazine. 2019-05-23. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Loom Festival 2019". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- "https://twitter.com/segabodega/status/1187660592011722752". Twitter. Retrieved 2020-11-19. External link in
- "Sega Bodega is horny and petty on new single, 'U Suck'". Fact Magazine. 2019-11-04. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Here's Where Sega Bodega's Head Is At". PAPER. 2019-11-30. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- Evans, Georgia (2019-12-20). "Sega Bodega // Live Review | LONDON IN STEREO". Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Sega Bodega Announces Debut Album 'Salvador'". Clash Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Sega Bodega's Salvador Is a Disturbingly Raw Deconstruction of Club Music". pastemagazine.com. 2020-02-21. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Review: Sega Bodega - Salvador". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Sega Bodega: Salvador". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- Wang, Steffanee. "Oklou Welcomes You To 'Galore,' A Fantastical Pop Escape". Nylon. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Shygirl announces new EP, 'ALIAS', with SOPHIE, Sega Bodega, more". DJMag.com. 2020-10-21. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Zebra Katz meshes industrial hip-hop and drum 'n' bass on debut album, LESS IS MOOR". The Vinyl Factory. 2020-01-23. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Dorian Electra talks through their My Agenda collaborators". The Face. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "Listen to Sega Bodega and Låpsley's new collaboration 'Make U Stay'". NME Music News, Reviews, Videos, Galleries, Tickets and Blogs | NME.COM. 2020-11-06. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- "20 Questions: Sega Bodega". Crack Magazine. Retrieved 2020-11-20.
- Bodega, Sega (2018-12-13). "Sega Bodega's guide to self care". i-D. Retrieved 2020-11-20.