|Add a Photo|
|Origin||Columbia, South Carolina|
|Past members||Emily Bracey Neff|
SYR is a Celtic folk rock band from Columbia, Columbia, South Carolina.
Kyle MacCallum, the band's lead singer, was inspired to create a Celtic band after watching the Hobbit in The Lord of the Rings (film series)|. The name SYR originates from a poem MacCallum read in his youth. The band initially played death metal before shifting to Celtic music, mostly covering Irish traditional music. MacCallum has said, "My mom is a Celtic singer, and we’ve always been into that part of our heritage, so it made sense to move our music in that direction." After a few years, SYR started to create original music, inspired by Celtic history and Celtic mythology. SYR has released two albums, the self-titled SYR (2015) and The Winter King (2017). They also released a single, "Legacy", on April 4, 2020. The band's current members are siblings Kyle (lead vocals, guitar) and Laurel MacCallum (vocals, Percussion instrument), Kelly Vance (Bass guitar), Luis Valverde (Drum), Ben Campbell (guitar) and Worth Lewallen (violin). SYR's original violinist, Emily Bracey Neff, retired from the band in 2020 after a shoulder injury.
- SYR (2015)
- The Winter King (2017)
Singles and EPs
- Legacy (April 4, 2020)
- "Celtic Radio: Syr". Celtic Radio. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- Knight, Nicholas. "SYR THE IRISH ROCK BAND YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT". The Daily Counter. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- McElveen, Katie. "SYR plays Celtic folk rock or 'metal acoustic, if there is such a thing'". The State. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- "Syr on Instagram: "LEGACY is now available on all purchasing and streaming platforms. You can find this lyric video at YouTube.com/SyrMusic! Slàinte! . . . .…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-07-18.
- "Syr on Instagram: "Hey everyone! We have some awesome announcements and cool things to share with you all coming very soon, but before we get to any of that,…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-07-18.