Randal S. Milch
|Add a Photo|
|Citizenship||United States Of America|
|Alma mater||Yale University|
Randal S. Milch is a corporate executive and academic, who specializes in cybersecurity, national security and corporate governance. Milch was Verizon Communications|Verizon’s General Counsel and head of public policy. He has organized public policy campaigns relating to state and federal legislation and transactions and has testified before committees of Congress, which have been cited in works such as Captive Audience by Susan P. Crawford. Milch is currently the faculty co-director of the Master of Science in Cybersecurity Risk and Strategy, a joint program between New York University School of Law|NYU School of Law and New York University Tandon School of Engineering|NYU Tandon School of Engineering.
Milch holds a Bachelor of Arts in American History from Yale University (1980) as well as a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from New York University (1985).
Randal Milch was as a clerk to Clement Haynsworth|Clement F. Haynsworth, Jr., Chief Judge Emeritus of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He became a partner at Donovan, Leisure, Newton & Irvine|Donovan, Leisure, Newton and Irving in 1992. In 1993, he worked as counsel in telecommunications to the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company of Maryland. Milch then became Associate General Counsel at Bell Atlantic. He oversaw state regulatory matters in New York and New England. He supervised the state regulatory litigation, particularly that which arose under the Telecommunications Act of 1996, across Bell Atlantic’s northern seven states. Milch obtained the first New York State authorization for a local telephone company’s entry into the long-distance market in 1999. After Bell Atlantic merged with GTE and became Verizon Communications|Verizon, Milch was Senior Vice President and General Counsel of Verizon’s global enterprise business. Milch became Verizon’s General Counsel in 2008. He was named the Executive Vice President for Public Policy in 2012, and in this position, made changes in corporate data policy in regard to law enforcement requests. He then became Strategic Policy Adviser to Verizon’ Chief Executive Officer and Chairman in 2014 until his retirement in May 2015.
Milch is currently the faculty co-director of the New York University School of Law|NYU Law - New York University Tandon School of Engineering|NYU Tandon Master of Science in Cybersecurity Risk and Strategy program. Milch is also the Co-Chair of the NYU Center for Cybersecurity, a Distinguished Fellow at the Center on Law and Security and a Professor of Practice at New York University School of Law|NYU School of Law. Milch has also taught at Columbia Law School and the University of Colorado Law School|University of Colorado Law School.
Milch is a Life Trustee on the Board of Trustees for New York University School of Law|New York University School of Law. Milch formerly served as the Chair of the Board of Directors for Equal Justice Works. He was also a member of the boards of The Constitutional Sources Project and the National Veterans Legal Services Program.
Publications and Congressional testimony
- "Cybersecurity in One Voice: Leveraging CISA Programming to Improve FTC Cybersecurity Enforcement" (with Sam Bieler). Lawfare (December 5, 2019).
- "How Much is Data Security Worth?" (with Almudena Arcelus and Brian Ellman). The SciTech Lawyer (The American Bar Association, Spring 2019).
- "Some Concerns with Privacy as A Framework for Cybersecurity." In Privacy and Cyber Security on the Books and on the Ground (Pernice & Pohle eds., Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society 2018).
- "First Legislative Step in the IoT Security Battle." Lawfare (August 4, 2017).
- "Q&A: Privacy and Cybersecurity: The Corporate Perspective" The Analysis Group (Jan. 2017).
- "Cyber Insurance as a Way to Reduce Cyber Risk." Before the President’s Commission on Enhancing National Cybersecurity, May 16, 2016.
- Maggie Gousman, John P. Frantz and Randal S. Milch, "Company-Provided Legal Services," ch. 21 in in Beyond Elite Law: Access to Civil Justice in America (Samuel Estreicher & Joy Radice eds., Cambridge Univ. Press 2016).
- Samuel Estreicher & Randal S. Milch, "Public Service Residency in Lieu of the Third Year of Law School," ch. 50 in Beyond Elite Law: Access to Civil Justice in America (Samuel Estreicher & Joy Radice eds., Cambridge Univ. Press 2016).
- "From the War Room to the Board Room? Effectively Managing Cyber Risk without Joining the Front Lines." (with Zachary Goldman) The Center on Law and Security, New York University School of Law, June 2015.
- "An Examination of Competition in the Wireless Market." Before the United States Senate, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, February 26, 2014.
- "Samsung vs. Apple Needs an Obama Intervention." Commentary, The Wall Street Journal, July 23, 2013.
- "Cut Red Tape Tying up E-Medicine." Op-ed, Politico, January 24, 2013.
- "The Verizon/Cable Deals: Harmless Collaboration or a Threat to Competition and Consumers?" Before the United States Senate, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, March 21, 2012.
- "Cell Phone Text Messaging Rate Increases and the State of Competition in the Wireless Market." Before the United States Senate, Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, June 16, 2009.
- Crawford, Susan (June 2013). "Response to Harold Furchtgott-Roth". Federal Communications Law Journal. 65: 342.
- "Randy Milch". NYU Law and NYU Tandon. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- "Verizon's Randy Milch on Being General Counsel and Running the In-House Legal Department". Legal Talk Network. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- "Analysis Group Welcomes New Affiliates, Announces Consultant Promotions". www.businesswire.com. 2017-05-22. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- IQ, Text. "Randal Milch - Text IQ". www.textiq.com. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- contributor, Brady Dale / (2015-04-03). "Big companies aren't as well protected as they think". Technical.ly Brooklyn. Retrieved 2020-08-26.
|last=has generic name (help)
- "Verizon Names Randal S. Milch to General Counsel Position". www.verizon.com. 2008-10-02. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- "Verizon's EVP and strategic policy advisor Milch to retire; Silliman assumes duties". FierceTelecom. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- Calia, Michael (2013-12-19). "Verizon to Disclose Law Enforcement Requests for Customer Data". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2020-08-26.
- "Climate, geopolitical and cyber risks challenge firms to navigate uncharted terrain". Reuters. 2019-11-13. Retrieved 2020-08-26.
- "Program Overview: NYU Master of Science, Cybersecurity Risk & Strategy". NYU Law and NYU Tandon. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- "NYU CCS project – Page 6 – NYU Center for Cyber Security". Retrieved 2020-06-09.
- "Randal S. Milch - Overview | NYU School of Law". its.law.nyu.edu. Retrieved 2020-06-09.
This article "Randal Milch" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.