Oliver Anthony David Barker
July 29, 2002
|Known for||The Verge of Forever|
Olly Novello (born July 29, 2002) is a prominent English composer, producer, and performer widely recognized for his musical theatre compositions and performances. He is renowned for his unique and pioneering musical style that combines traditional musical theatre with both classical and contemporary themes. His work includes several productions, such as The Verge of Forever, Mayflower the Musical, and The Journey to Paradise.
Early Life and Education
Novello was born on July 29, 2002, in Luton, UK, to a family with a musical background. He attended Hill House School in Doncaster and undertook dance lessons at the Riley School of Dance. Novello later enrolled at the Guildford School of Acting, where he developed his skills as a performer, musician, and composer.
From an early age, he showed a talent for dancing and music. He began writing at the age of thirteen and received composition lessons from Robert J. Sherman. Throughout his childhood, Novello won several performance titles.
Novello made his foray into the music industry with the release of two hit singles in 2019. His songs showcased Novello's unique musical style that blends old-school musical theatre with modern themes. From the success of his initial songs, his music was noticed by a television producer, which led to Novello being the feature of an episode in the Sky Showcase series "Youth Of Today."
Novello's most notable musical theatre work is The Verge of Forever - The Drama School Audition Musical, a show that explores the challenging lives of young musical theatre performers. The musical follows the story of Leo and Marie, two teenagers who attempt to balance drama school auditions with their relationship. Novello's jazz-inspired score and unique musical style combine old and new musical genres. The Verge of Forever was staged at The Other Palace Theatre in London by Tony Award-winning producer Louise Beard. The show's success made Novello the youngest composer to receive an Off-West End run in history.
Awards and recognitions
- Novello was the British Song and Dance Champion at the British Championship held by Theatre Dance Council International (TDCI) in August 2019.
- He also won the All England Song and Dance Finals in London in 2017.
He lives in London and is in a long-term relationship. In addition to his musical career, Novello is a vocal supporter of the #boysdancetoo campaign, which aims to raise awareness of bullying against boys in the arts.
- Writer, Staff (5 May 2023). "Olly Novello's The Verge of Forever to Open at The Other Palace". Theatre Weekly. Retrieved 9 May 2023.
- Tossell, Shaun (7 May 2023). "THE VERGE OF FOREVER – THE DRAMA SCHOOL AUDITION MUSICAL ANNOUNCED FOR THE OTHER PALACE". Theatre Fan. Retrieved 9 May 2023.
- Wild, Stephi (19 January 2022). "The Other Palace Announces Premiere Of Olly Novello's New Musical THE VERGE OF FOREVER". BroadwayWorld.com. Retrieved 9 May 2023.