OC&C Strategy Consultants
|Founded||1987 in London, England|
|Founder||Chris Outram and Geoff Cullinan|
|James George (International Managing Partner)|
|Products||Strategy consulting services|
Number of employees
|500 worldwide (2019)|
OC&C Strategy Consultants, established in 1987, is a global strategy consulting firm with 12 offices worldwide. The company advises customers in the FMCG, retail, leisure, media, communications and technology, industrial products and business services, and private equity sectors.
OC&C is active in Europe, North and South America, the Middle East and Asia.OC&C was founded by Chris Outram and Geoff Cullinan in 1987. In the same year, Dusseldorf based 'S. & K. und Partner joined the partnership. Further European expansion followed with the opening of offices in France in 1989, and Rotterdam in 1992. In 2007, OC&C merged with the Callidon Group (based in Boston). OC&C later formed associate partnerships with leading South American consultancy, Advisia, in Brazil in 2013. In 2015, OC&C opened offices in Shanghai and Hong Kong. Later, OC&C Poland, OC&C Turkey, OC&C New York, and a rebranded OC&C Germany joined the firm’s integrated network in 2017. In 2019, Long Term Partners formally joined the OC&C integrated network. In October of 2019, OC&C announced a strategic partnership with Indian consultancy, RedSeer. LTP’s merger into OC&C, and RedSeer’s affiliation means that the firm is currently present in ten markets.
OC&C typically accepts applications from the world’s elite universities and institutions, putting less of an emphasis on discipline studied and more on demonstrable aptitude for creative and lateral thinking and the applicant’s fit within the company’s culture. As part of the application process, candidates are asked to remove their name and contact information from their CV and cover letter before submitting alongside their application, reducing unconscious bias by reviewers.
Each year OC&C operates an International Strategy Workshop, which brings together 24 “international students from different academic backgrounds”, to work on a business strategy case. OC&C later employs those who perform well throughout the workshop.
OC&C was ranked 6th in the Vault Consulting 25 for 2018, combining Vault’s “Best to Work For” ranking with overall prestige. OC&C’s pay scale, opportunity to progress and positioning as an alternative to competitors makes them an attractive proposition to potential recruits.
Diversity & Inclusion
OC&C runs a number of diversity and inclusion networks across the business – these networks are run and staffed by volunteers within OC&C.
The diversity ethos is supported by OC&C’s Women’s Network, LGBT Network, Ethnic & Cultural Network and a commitment to widening participation.
OC&C Women's Network
The OC&C Women’s Network is an initiative designed to support women throughout their careers. The Women’s Network connects women across grades and tenures, both within and across offices, runs a mentoring programme which gives each individual a senior point of contact to provide them support and guidance while at the firm as well as running women specific training and events.
The LGBT Network supports OC&C as a place that attracts, supports, and respects LGBT professionals. Incorporating both (self-identifying) LGBT employees and allies, the group arranges global networking events during OC&C’s International Training Week and talks from prominent LGBT role models, and has established a mentor system to provide advice and support for those who seek it.
Ethnic & Cultural Network
The OC&C Ethnic & Cultural Network fosters a better environment for prospective and existing staff from all ethnicities and cultures through community engagement, recruitment efforts and cultural diversity awareness. The network aims to celebrate the diversity that exists within the business, provide a support network for employees, offer role models and career mentors for ethnic minority and culturally diverse staff, to raise awareness of unconscious bias. They collaborate with organisations such as SEO to run events and encourage BME and students from a variety of backgrounds to apply for a career in strategy consulting.
In 2015 OC&C partnered with Performance in Context (PiC), and have implemented procedures to identify individuals during the recruitment process that have been successful in comparatively challenging circumstances – ensuring they are assessed on their true performance and ability.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Since 2004 OC&C (UK) have provided social impact consulting services to Impetus –The Private Equity Foundation (previously Impetus), pioneers in venture philanthropy. During that time, OC&C teams have worked on numerous strategic projects for charities and social enterprises in the Impetus-PEF portfolio. Charities include; Beat, IntoUniversity, Fairtrade, Leap Confronting Conflict, the Prison Radio Association, St. Giles Trust and Street League.
Research and publications
OC&C regularly publishes Insights regarding its core business areas. Partners have also written books on management issues and industry trends. In addition to these unique publications, the firm also publishes annual industry reviews, which include;
- The FMCG Global 50, in association with The Grocer
- The UK Food & Drink Top 150, in association with The Grocer
- The Retail Proposition Index
- The Media Proposition Index
- The Digital Media Index
- The OC&C Fundex
- Outram, Chris; (2015). Digital Stractics: How strategy met tactics and killed the strategic plan. Palgrave Macmillan UK. ISBN 978-1-137-57483-1
- Outram, Chris; (2013). Making Your Strategy Work: How to go from paper to people. Pearson Education. ISBN 978-1-78399-238-6
- Birch, Alex, Gerbert, Philipp, Schneider, Dirk & Schnetkamp, Gerd; (2001). Digital Storm. Fresh business strategies from the electronic marketplace. Capstone Publishing Limited. ISBN 1-84112-168-1
- Birch, Alex, Gerbert, Philipp & Schneider, Dirk; (2000). The Age of E-Tail: conquering the new world of electronic shopping. Capstone Publishing Limited. ISBN 1-84112-092-8
- Wileman, Andrew, & Jary, Michael; (1997). Retail Power Plays, From trading to brand leadership. MacMillan Business. ISBN 0-333-68527-X
- 2019 Financial Times UK Leading Management Consultants
- 2018 Vault Consulting ‘Best to Work For’ (6th place)
- 2018 Financial Times UK Leading Management Consultants
- 2018 Excellence in Media Acquisitions UK, Corporate Insider M&A Awards
- 2016 Global Strategy Consulting Firm of the Year, ACQ Global Awards
- 2017 Financial Times UK Leading Management Consultants
- 2017 Business Charity Award, Third Sector Awards
- 2015 Best for Traditional Media Acquisitions, AI M&A Awards
- 2015 Best for Business Unit Strategy, AI M&A Awards
Notable former employees
- Eric Wiebes, Minister of Economic Affairs and Climate Policy, Netherlands
- Jeremy Hunt, Secretary of State for Health and the Member of Parliament for South West Surrey
- Paul Zwillenberg, CEO of Daily Mail Group
- James Meekings, Founder of Funding Circle
- Ben Holmes, Managing Partner of Index Ventures
- Andy Anson, Global President, CEO of The British Olympic Association
- Mandeep Singh, Co-Founder of Trouva
- Jimmy Williams, Co-Founder of Urban Jungle
- Tom Blomfield, CEO of Monzo Bank.
- "Top 10 Consulting Firms in London, UK". Management Consulted. 22 January 2018.
- "Who are Generation Z?". FMCG CEO. 26 February 2019.
- "M&A deals for consumer goods companies reached 15 year high in 2018". CNBC. 9 July 2019.
- "Boutique consultancy punches above its weight in retail". Financial Times. 18 January 2018.
- "Experts predict rapid growth in casual dining". Caterer Search. 25 April 2008.
- "If Yahoo said no to Microsoft, what could it do?". Reuters. 22 February 2008.
- "New report reveals future of car ownership". Yahoo Finance. 17 October 2019.
- "M&A team of OC&C advises on sale of Aston Manor and Wagamama". Consultancy UK. 13 November 2018.
- "Advanced analytics spending in the UK to jump to 24 billion 2020". Consultancy UK. 14 June 2019.
- "Chris Outram biography". 1 January 2015.
- "OC&C Strategy Consultants – Callidon Group Merger". 29 June 2008.
- "China's High-End Retail Emporium". Bloomberg. 4 November 2016.
- "Online buying poised for HK expansion". The Standard. 26 February 2018.
- "Grocery Pioneer Whole Foods to Join Mass-Market Crowd". Wall Street Journal. 16 June 2017.
- "OC&C gains foothold in Italy with Long Term Partners deal". Consultancy UK. 19 July 2019.
- "OC&C expands reach in Asia with RedSeer partnership". Consultancy UK. 27 September 2019.
- "OC&C advises on private equity deals in Italy's fashion industry". Consultancy EU. 5 August 2019.
- "Universities urged to tap expanding global market". Financial Times. 10 December 2010.
- "OC&C Strategy Consultants: International Strategy Workshop - Thursday 20 to Sunday 23 November 2008". Imperial College London. 22 October 2008.
- "SEO". 31 October 2018.
- "Are you up to speed with due diligence 2.0?". Real Deals EU. 9 May 2018.
- "Impetus-PEF". 1 January 2004.
- "IntoUniversity". 21 June 2008.
- "Fairtrade". 14 May 2007.
- "Leap Confronting Conflict". 5 June 2012.
- "Impetus Trust Impact Report 2011-12". 26 June 2013.
- "UK TV industry risks losing £1bn a year to Amazon, YouTube and Facebook". The Guardian. 27 August 2017.
- "Leading British food producers suffer fall in sales". Financial Times. 22 September 2016.
- Outram, Chris (28 September 2013). "Book extract: Put your strategy to the test". The Sunday Times.
- "The marketer's manifesto". Campaign Live. 3 March 2017.
- "Analysis: Lessons from retail's best Christmas in five years". Retail Week. 6 February 2017.
- "China's slowing economy also slows Singles Day". Retail Week Asia. 14 November 2018.
- "China's new middle class swaps karaoke for cruise holidays and thrilling rides, survey shows". South China Morning Post. 20 September 2017.
- Hipwell, Deirdre (23 February 2018). "Alexa talks us out of going shopping". The Times.
- "Branded players must learn from own label strategies". The Grocer. 10 May 2018.
- "Poles apart: How polarisation is changing the face of global news". TVB Europe. 25 April 2019.
- "Guiding spirit: OC&C founder and chairman emeritus Chris Outram talks about a career spent helping clients solve seemingly impossible problems". CP Jobs. 11 June 2016.
- Outram, Chris (2015). Digital Stractics: How Strategy Met Tactics and Killed the Strategic Plan. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 978-1137574817.
- Hawkes, Steve (14 July 2008). "Giants Unilever, Nestle and Procter & Gamble protect margins as customers foot bill". The Times.
- Outram, Chris (2013). Making Your Strategy Work: How to Go From Paper to People. Pearson Education. ISBN 978-1-78399-238-6.
- Birch, Alex; Gerbert, Philipp; Schneider, Dirk; Schnetkamp, Gert (2000). The Digital Storm: Fresh Business Strategies from the Electronic Marketplace. Capstone Publishing Limited. ISBN 1841121681.
- Birch, Alex; Gerbert, Philipp; Schnetkamp, Gert (2011). The Age of E-Tail: Conquering the New World of Electronic Shopping. Capstone Publishing Limited. ISBN 978-1841120942.
- Wileman, Andrew; Jary, Michael (1997). Retail Power Plays: From Trading to Brand Leadership. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 033368527X.
- "UK's Leading Management Consultants 2019". Financial Times. 30 January 2019.
- "How firms fared in the UK's Leading Management Consultants". Financial Times. 18 January 2018.
This article "OC&C Strategy Consultants" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.