Michael N. Koutsilieris
Michael N. Koutsilieris
|Add a Photo|
|Born||July 10, 1954|
|Alma mater||University of Athens|
Michael N. Koutsilieris is endocrinologist, professor of Experimental Physiology, director of the Physiology Laboratory and Department of Basic Medical Sciences, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens until August 2020 when he was appointed Chairman of the administrative board of the State Scholarhip Foundation of Greece.
Koutsilieris was born in Piraeus, Greece (July 10th, 1954) and has a family of four children (Nicholas, Vassilis, Maria, Dimitra).
He attended the University of Athens Medical School (1980) and continued his postgraduate studies at the “Royal Victoria Hospital», Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, at the University of McGill (1982-1987); Board Certified in Endocrinology in Quebec, Canada (no. 91164: College des Medecins du Quebec, Province of Quebec, Canada) and in Greece.
He completed his doctorate thesis (Ph.D) at the McGill University Montreal, PQ, Canada, on “Experimental Medicine”, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Department of Experimental Medicine, [THESIS: Prostate-derived mitogen(s) with selective activity for osteoblasts: implications for the pathophysiology of osteoblastic metastasis from prostate cancer, scientific field: PHYSIOLOGY/ENDOCRINOLOGY:ENDOCRINE-ONCOLOGY [THESIS ADVISOR: David Goltzman, MD - Calcium Research Laboratory, McGill University (1983-1987)].
Molecular Physiology – Molecular Endocrinology – Endocrine Oncology – Exercise Physiology – Prostate & Breast Cancer – Bone Metastasis - Medical Education.
Has a university career (16 years) in Canada at McGill University (Research & Clinical Fellow: 1982-1987); Sherbrooke (Research Associate: 1987-1988); and Laval (Assistant Professor (1988-91); Associate Professor (1991-1997); Professor (1997)] and has been an independent research executive in various Research Units and Laboratories, such as "HORMONIC BIOREGULATION HORMONALE", "MOLECULAR ENDOCRINOLOGY" (ENDOCRILE LA).
In 1997, he was elected a faculty member of the Laboratory of Physiology (Professor of Experimental Physiology) and since 2004 he has been the Director of the Laboratory of Physiology, School of Medicine, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens. He has also been elected and served twice as Director of the Department of Basic Medical Sciences at the Medical School, EKPA (2004-2006 & 2018-2020).
He holds the academic title of Assistant Professor in the Department of Physiology - Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Quebec, Canada (2008 until today) and in the Medical School of the University of Cyprus ( 2014 until today). He also has title of Visiting Professor at the Medical School of the European University of Cyprus (2016 until today), and has been named Distinguished Fellow of New Westminster Medical College in Vancouver, Canada (2013 until today). He has been a member of the International Committee "Planning & Establishment of the Medical School of the University of Cyprus", Ministry of Education of the Republic of Cyprus since 2008.
He has been a member of the "National Council for Research" in Biomedical Sciences of the Ministry of Education (2011-2015) and a member of the Board of Directors of the Biomedical Science Research Center "ALEXANDER FLEMING" (2006-08 & 2010-12). He has been a member of the independent authority "National Ethics Committee for Clinical Studies in Greece" of the Ministry of Health (2013-2017). He is a Member of the Hellenic Foundation for Research & Innovation, Ministry of Education and Religions, Greek Government (2018-).
He is the founder of the Hellenic Society of Physiology (2006) and has been the first elected president of the society in the years 2007-2009 & 2009-2011, while since then he has been an elected member of the Administrative Board (2011-2013; 2013-2015; 2015-2017; 2017-2019; 2019-2021). Also, has he been elected 3 times president of the Association of Medical Professors of the University of Athens (EKIPA) in the years 2009-2011, 2011-2013 and 2013-1015 and has been named "Honorary President of EKIPA" (2015). From 2016 to 2020 he was the president of "EXERCISE IS MEDICINE-GREECE” and achieved as President of the Institute of Applied Physiology & Exercise in Medicine (IEFAI) the recognition of "Therapeutic Exercise" as Complementary Therapy in Modern Health Council, Ministry of Health (KESY).
He is responsible for the teaching of Human Physiology (2 semesters - Winter Physiology & Spring Semester Physiology) in the Undergraduate Program of the Medical School (EKPA) and the Departments of Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy (EKPA). Participates in the committees for the "reform of the undergraduate & postgraduate program" of the Medical School. He is also the founder and head of the elective course "Clinical Physiology Seminars" and the optional exercise "Applied Physiology: Clinical Skills", which have been enthusiastically accepted by the students of the Medical School. He is the founder and Director / Scientific Officer of the highly successful Postgraduate Program of the Medical School in "Molecular & Applied Physiology". He is an evaluator of national committees for the review of research programs, such as the Foundation of State Scholarships (IKY) and the national judging committees of the Ministry of Education for the programs THALIS - HERAKLITOS - PENED - ELIDEK. He also participates in the committees for judging international research programs in international institutions, such as: CANADA - MEDICAL RESEARCH COUNCIL, UK - CANCER RESEARCH COUNCIL, THE NETHERLANDS - DUTCH CANCER SOCIETY, ROMANIA - ROMANIAN RESEARCH COUNCIL & ITALY - ITALIAN RESEARCH COUNCIL.
August 2020 he was appointed Chairman of the Administrative Board of the State Scholarship Foundation (I.K.Y.) with the decision No.105280 / Z1 / 12.08.2020 of the Minister of Education and Religions.
Honors & Distinctions
He has many scientific distinctions in Basic and Translation Research (scholarships, distinctions & awards) and social distinctions abroad and in Greece, including:
- Fellow of the National Medical Research Council of Canada ; 1984-1988);
- American Society for Bone & Mineral Research "Young Investigator Award" (13) (1985) - Awarded by AU Representative to the President of the United States Ronald Reagan;
- Award for the "Scholar Scholar" of the Quebec Medical Research Council (Fonds de la Recherche en Sante du Quebec  -FRSQ; (1989-1992);
- Award of the Scholar Scholarship of the Quebec Medical Research Council (Fonds de la Recherche en Sante du Quebec  -FRSQ, (1993-1996);
- "Volunteer Award" from the Ministry of Health, awarded by his Excellency the President of the Hellenic Republic Mr. K. Stefanopoulos, for the organization & participation in programs "Early Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer in Eastern Mani", which has benefited dozens of citizens who suffered from the disease (2005);
- Proclamation of "Honorary Citizen" of the Municipality of East Mani  (2013);
- Awarded the title of "Distinguished Fellow" of the New Westminster Medical College, Vancouver, Canada (2013);
- Title of "Distinguished Researcher" by the Hellenic Society of Obesity (2015);
- Research Work Award of the European Muscle Conference, Warsaw, Poland (2015)
- Title of "Distinguished Teacher" by the Hellenic Pediatric Academy (2016);
- “Vassilis Xanthopoulos - Stephanos Pnevmatikos" Award for Excellence in Academic Teaching by the Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas (FORTH) of the University of Crete - award by Excellency the President of the Hellenic Republic Mr. P. Pavlopoulos (2017).
- Honorary Distinction of the Academy of Athens (modern) in "Surgical Urology" (2018) for the Work in the Scientific Journal "Molecular Medicine" on "Oncogenic role of Ec in prostate cancer";
- Award for "Research Work" of the Hellenic Urological Society  for the work "Circulating Cancer Cells in Bladder Cancer" with his research team (2018);
- "Apollonian Award" for the contribution to Science and the Greek Society by the Associations of "Greek Olympians, Panhellenic Gymnastics Society, Veteran Basketball Athletes, Panhellenic Association of Gyms, Institute of International and Greek Athletics" Sports - Science & Society (2019);
- Honorary Distinction of the Directorate of Mental Health of UNESCO-Piraeus & Islands for the academic year 2019 - 2020?
- Title of "Honorary Professor" of the Medical Department, School of Health Sciences, Democritus University of Thrace  (2019)
- Honorary President of the National Foundation "Exercise is medicine - Greece" (Exercise is medicine - Greece) (2020
Scientific Productions & Recognition
Publications > 300 επιστημονικές δημοσιεύσεις (pubmed)
h-index > 55 (google scholar)
i10 –index > 200
Citations > 10,000 (google scholar)
Membership at international scientific societies
He actively participates to the following scientific societies:
- 1982-: Endocrine Society (USA)
- 1884-: Inter-American Society for Chemotherapy
- 1985-: American Fertility Society (AFS)
- 1985-: New York Academy of Science (NYAS)
- 1985-: American Society for Bone & Mineral Research
- 1988-1998: Club de Recherches Cliniques du Québec
- 1991-: European Society of Human Reproduction & Embryology (ESHRE)
- 1996-: European Urological Association (EUA)
- 1996-: American Urological Association (AUA)
- 1996-1998: HellenicMedical Association of Quebec
- 1997-: Canadian University Alumni Association
- 1998-: World Endometriosis Society (ES)
- 1998-: International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE)
- 1999-: Metastasis Research Society (MRS)
- 1999-: Molecular Medicine Society (MMS)
- 2000-: Society of Basic Urology Research (SBUR)
- 2000-: Breast Cancer Coalition-EUROPA DONNA
- 2002-: Hellenic Endocrine Society (HES)
- 2002-: American Diabetes Association (ADA)
- 2006-: Steering Committee “Steroidal Hormones & Hormones and Cancer”
- 2006-: Hellenic Society of Physiology (HSP)
- 2009-: Amerian Physiological Society (APS)
- 2013-: Hellenic Society of Reproductive Medicine (HSRM)
Editorial board & external reviewer international medical journals
Koutsilieris is member of the editorial board or external reviewer for international medical journas such as: Journal of Clinical Investigation (JCI), Molecular Medicine (MM), New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), World Journal of Experimental Medicine (WJEM), Frontiers in Endocrinology, Hormones, Endocrinology, Journal Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism (JCEM), Journal of Bone & Mineral Research (JBMR), Plos ONE, Fertility & Sterility, American Journal of Arthritis Research (AJAR), Cancer Research (CR), Open Journal of Intergrative Physiology, Cancer Biology & Medicine, Clinical Cancer Drugs (CCD), Molecular Medicine: Current Aspects (MMCA), American Journal of Clinical & Experimental Medicine (AJCEM), Journal of Anatomy & Physiology, Mastologia, Updates in Cardiovascular Diseases & Diagnosis (UCDD), World Journal of Orthopedics (WJO), Tumor Microenvironment (TME), J Medical & Experimental Images (JCMEI), Journal of Cardiovascular Disorders (SMJCD), Journal of Frailty Sarcopenia and Falls (JF), Cancer Translational Medicine (CTM), Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs (EOID), Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy (EOP), Journal of Musculoskeletal & Neuronal Interactions (JMNI), International Journal of European Citizen’s Quality of Life, In Vivo, World Journal of Gastroenterology (WJG), World Journal of Methodology (WJM), Open Journal of Molecular & Intergrated Physiology, CPQ Orthopaedics, International Journal of Molecular Sciences-Molecular Endocrinology & Metabolism, Molecular Medicine Reports.
He is the Founder and President of the Institute for the Promotion and Development of Mani "Equals of Mani" (2017 - ) . He is the founder and President of the Institute of Applied Physiology & Exercise in Medicine (IEFAI) (2017 - ), one of the founders of the Hellenic National Center & Honorary President of "Exercise is Medicine-Greece".
- "ΕΚΠΑ: Εργαστήριο Φυσιολογίας "Φυσιολογείον" - Αρχική σελίδα". physiology.med.uoa.gr. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Home - State Scholarships Foundation (IKY)". www.iky.gr. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism". Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Collège des médecins du Québec". www.cmq.org. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "David Goltzman - Professor". Department of Physiology. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Université de Sherbrooke (Québec, Canada)". www.usherbrooke.ca (in français). Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Universite Laval".
- "UNIVERSITY OF CYPRUS". www.ucy.ac.cy. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- Surgeons, DISTINGUISHED FELLOWS OF NEW WESTMINSTER COLLEGE-; says, Medical Doctors. "New Westminster College, British Columbia, Canada – Professor Dr. Michael Koutsilieris, M.D., Ph.D." Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "BSRC Alexander Fleming". www.fleming.gr. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Αρχική". exerciseismedicine.gr (in Ελληνικά). Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "Foundation for Research and Technology - Hellas". www.forth.gr. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "E.O.E" (in Ελληνικά). Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "ΟΜΟΙΟΙ της ΜΑΝΗΣ". homoioimanis.com. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
- "ΙΕΦΑΙ". iapem.gr. Retrieved 2020-09-20.
This article "Michael N. Koutsilieris" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.