|Born||1972 (age 48–49)|
|Alma mater||University of St. Gallen|
|Thesis||Erfolgsfaktoren des Wirtschaftens von KMU im Zeitablauf: dargestellt an Beispielen aus der deutschen Nahrungs- und Genussmittelindustrie (2000)|
|Doctoral advisor||Hans Jobst Pleitner|
|Other academic advisors||Dietmar Harhoff|
|Institutions||École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)|
Market opportunity identification
Strategy in new and established firms
Marc Gruber (born 1972 in Munich) is a management scholar and researcher specialized in technology commercialization. He is a professor at École Polytechnique EPFL (École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne), and holds the Chair of Entrepreneurship and Technology Commercialization at École Polytechnique EPFL's College of Management of Technology.
Gruber received a Master's degree in management from the University of St. Gallen (HSG) 1995. Staying at HSG, he wrote a PhD thesis on "Erfolgsfaktoren des Wirtschaftens von KMU im Zeitablauf: dargestellt an Beispielen aus der deutschen Nahrungs- und Genussmittelindustrie" (Success factors of SMEs over time: illustrated by examples from the German food and luxury food industry) and graduated in 2000. He then joined the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (LMU) as senior researcher and lecturer, and to work with Dietmar Harhoff and Manfred Schwaiger. He obtained his habilitation from LMU's School of Management in 2005 for his book "Marketingplanung von wagniskapitalfinanzierten Unternehmensgründungen – eine theoretische und empirische Analyse" (Marketing planning of venture capital-financed start-ups - a theoretical and empirical analysis). During that time he held the position as vice-director of the Institute of Innovation Research, Technology Management and Entrepreneurship and established LMU’s Center for Entrepreneurship. He has held several visiting scholar posts at the Wharton School (2004), and at the University of Pennsylvania (1999 and 2004). He was also a visiting professor at the Business School of Imperial College London (2015-2018). In 2005, Gruber joined École Polytechnique EPFL to work on the Chair of Entrepreneurship and Technology Commercialization (ENTC) first as an assistant professor and was promoted as a associate professor in 2008. Since 2011, Gruber is a full professor at École Polytechnique EPFL's College of Management of Technology. From 2017 to 2020, he was Vice President for Innovation at École Polytechnique EPFL.
Gruber's group focuses on the theoretical study of the fields of entrepreneurship, technology commercialization, innovation, and strategic management. Together Sharon Tal, he created the Market Opportunity Navigator, a business tool that supports start-ups and established firms in market opportunity identification and exploitation. The tool is used worldwide by more than 50,000 companies and has been adopted as the 4th tool in the lean start-up tool-set.
He was named among the most impactful entrepreneurship scholars worldwide on the first position (shared) for the years from 2005 to 2015, and among the worldwide top five for the years 2000 - 2015. He is the recipient of several prizes such as the TUM Research Excellence Award from the European Academy of Management (2012), the Thought Leader Award of the Entrepreneurship Division at the Academy of Management (2009, 2010, 2012), and the Mentor Award of the Entrepreneurship Division at the Academy of Management (2019). Gruber acted as associate (2013 - 2016) and as deputy editor (2017 - 2020) at the Academy of Management Journal. He is a member of the Academy of Management and of the Verband der Hochschullehrer für Betriebswirtschaft.
- Gruber, Marc; MacMillan, Ian C.; Thompson, James D. (2013). "Escaping the Prior Knowledge Corridor: What Shapes the Number and Variety of Market Opportunities Identified Before Market Entry of Technology Start-ups?". Organization Science. 24 (1): 280–300. JSTOR 23362113.
- Fauchart, Emmanuelle; Gruber, Marc (2011). "Darwinians, Communitarians, and Missionaries: The Role of Founder Identity in Entrepreneurship". Academy of Management Journal. 54 (5): 935–957. doi:10.5465/amj.2009.0211.
- Gruber, Marc; MacMillan, Ian C.; Thompson, James D. (2008). "Look Before You Leap: Market Opportunity Identification in Emerging Technology Firms". Management Science. 54 (9): 1652–1665. doi:10.1287/mnsc.1080.0877.
- Gruber, Marc; Tal, Sharon (2017). Where to Play: 3 Steps for Discovering Your Most Valuable Market Opportunities. ISBN 9781292178929.
- "Entrepreneurship and Technology Commercialization". www.epfl.ch. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- Gruber, Marc. "Erfolgsfaktoren des Wirtschaftens von KMU im Zeitablauf : dargestellt an Beispielen aus der deutschen Nahrungs- und Genussmittelindustrie". slsp-hsg.primo.exlibrisgroup.com. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Munich School of Management Magazine" (PDF). June 2005.
- Gruber, Marc 1972-. Marketingplanung von Unternehmensgründungen eine theoretische und empirische Analyse (1. Aufl ed.). Wiesbaden. ISBN 978-3-8350-0181-7. OCLC 162263869.
- "CV - Marc Gruber" (PDF).
- "ETH Board appoints new members of the EPFL Senior Management". www.admin.ch. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Research". www.epfl.ch. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- Gupta, Vishal K.; Ibrahim, Sajna; Guo, Grace; Markin, Erik (2016-03-01). "Entrepreneurship research in management and organizational studies: A contribution-based assessment of the literature". New England Journal of Entrepreneurship. 19 (1): 70–87. doi:10.1108/neje-19-01-2016-b005. ISSN 2574-8904.
- Bianchi, Marco. "TUM Research Excellence Award". EURAM. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Awards - Entrepreneurship Division". ent.aom.org. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- "Mentor Award - Entrepreneurship Division". ent.aom.org. Retrieved 2020-12-15.
- Gruber, Marc; de Leon, Nick; George, Gerard; Thompson, Paul (February 2015). "Managing by Design". Academy of Management Journal. 58 (1): 1–7. doi:10.5465/amj.2015.4001. ISSN 0001-4273.
- "Mitgliederverzeichnis - vhbonline.de". www.vhbonline.org. Retrieved 2020-12-15.