The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Add a Photo|
|Organization||Kemet Maasai Academy (founder)|
Kamau Mahakoe is a Jamaica teacher, author, and YouTuber. She founded the Kemet Maasai Academy, and she has published 28 books, including fiction set in Jamaica, biographical works, and pedagogical material aimed at success in school, especially understanding mathematics. She has written three books on Garveyism, and received awards from the Universal Negro Improvement Association and African Communities League for contributions to education. In addition, she is an active YouTuber.
Mahakoe grew up in rural St. Andrews, Jamaica.
Mahakoe Homeschooling|home schooled her children, then three, while she was a reporter. The home-school was founded by herself and partner Omari Ra. The home school expanded to take in other students, and eventually became the Kemet Maasai Academy. She trained herself in the subjects required in order to teach her children, by reading books, using internet resources and watching videos. She cited as her reason that she wanted the children to know about their heritage, and to have a sense of their ability to achieve, which was not being taught in schools. She teaches 4 subjects pf the Caribbean Examinations Council to students who attend. She feels a mandate to empower and educate children, saying this is her contribution to the community, and that "everyday is child's day to me".
Her first book was written at 13, and published as Yellow And Me in 2014. Her books, such as Landed Gentry, touch on innocence and experience in Jamaica from the perspective of youth, and deal with its social classes, and vulnerability.
She has four Youtube channels; one for school Kemet Maasai Academy, and of which Kamaudacity has the most videos.
Jamaica Library Service National Reading Competition National Champion (2009)
University of Chicago Outstanding Educator Award
She believes strongly in the African diaspora community. She home-schooled her children in order to show off that part of her heritage, and she has written three books dealing with Marcus Garvey, in addition to having the name of her school, and some of its curriculum, inspired by her Afrocentrism belief system. In interviews, she has said that she works for the advancement of black children.
She became a Vegetarianism at 13, and has preferred to follow a raw food diet since then, even though it has been difficult. She meditates daily, and her personal belief is informed by the The Master Key System|Master Key system by Charles Haanel and a book called Power of Your Subconscious Mind, by Joseph Murphy.
Her children have won various awards. Her oldest daughter was accepted to 11 universities, including the University of Chicago, in 2014, after having sat 16 subjects in CXC. Her eldest son entered high school at grade 9 instead of the customary 7, having six CSEC subjects at the time.
- Barefooted and Clean : Thoughts and inspirations (2014) ISBN 978-1-4997-4327-2
- I Love All My Wives (2014) ISBN 978-1-5002-7505-1
- Yellow and Me (2014) ISBN 1500971707
- There's Something You Should know About Leroy (2014) ISBN 978-1-5010-8466-9
- Prayer To The Motivator (The Child Who Reads Book 2) (2014) ISBN 978-1-5028-8346-9
- Good Morning, Mr. Daye! (The Child Who Reads Book 3) (2015) ISBN 978-1-5188-0221-8
- Spotty Dopey (Brave Young Minds Book 1) (2015) ISBN 978-1-5032-1884-0
- The Fighter in the Family (Brave Young Minds Book 2) (2014) ISBN 978-1-5054-6678-2
- Landed Gentry (2016) ISBN 978-1-5197-2049-8
- Ashley Smells Like Garbage!: First book in the series: A Child Like Me (2018) ISBN 1723169110
- Don't Look Down!: Second Book in the Series: a Child Like Me (2018) ISBN 978-1-7310-0024-8
- Ghosts Are Really, Really Stupid!: Third Book in the Series: a Child Like Me (2019) ISBN 978-1-0904-4195-9
- The Student's Master Plan (2014) ISBN 978-1-5010-4114-3
- I Understand Graphs!: Workbook One: Beginner (2019) ISBN 978-1-7231-6930-4
- I Understand Graphs!: Workbook Two: Intermediate (2019) ISBN 978-1-7231-6923-6
- I Understand Graphs!: Workbook Three: Advanced (2019) ISBN 978-1-7231-6919-9
- Prolific!: How to Write Like a Master (2019) ISBN 978-1-7933-3622-4
- The Garveyite Workbook One: Beginner: A Comprehensive Study of the Life and Work of Marcus Garvey (2019) ISBN 978-1-7952-4977-5
- The Garveyite Workbook Two: Intermediate: A Comprehensive Study of the Life and Work of Marcus Garvey (2019) ISBN 978-1-7952-5048-1
- The Garveyite Workbook Three : Advanced: A Comprehensive Study of the Life and Work of Marcus Garvey (2019) ISBN 9781795250986
- Please Clear the Way and Let Me Pass (Any Thoughts? Book 2) (2015)
- Keep The Change (Any Thoughts? Book 3) (2016) ‘'
- The Untrained I (Any Thoughts? Book 4) (2016)
- Wait! Let Me Write That Down. : Fifth Book in the Series, Any Thoughts? (2017)
- So, It Was You All Along! : Sixth Book in the Series, Any Thoughts? (2017)
- The Custodian of Thoughts: Seventh Book in the Series: Any Thoughts? (2018)
- Life Is a Full-Time Job: Eighth Book in the Series: Any Thoughts? (2018)
- "A family tradition - Student with 16 CSEC subjects defends high number". Jamaica Beacon. 2019-08-23. Retrieved 2020-07-19.
- "Jamaican teen offered 9 scholarships by US universities". Jamaica Observer. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- "A family tradition - Student with 16 CSEC subjects defends high number". Jamaica Beacon. 2019-08-23. Retrieved 2020-06-21.
- "Happy to homeschool:Mother of four guiding her children to great achievements". jamaica-gleaner.com. 2014-08-17. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- "FROM THE AUTHOR'S ZONE WITH KAMAU MAHAKOE MAY 19, 2016". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- Mahakoe, Kamau (2016-12-24). The Untrained I. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform. pp. iii, iv. ISBN 978-1-5412-4617-1.
- "A Bright Spark | Jamaica Teachers' Association". www.jta.org.jm. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
This article "Kamau Mahakoe" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.