Jonathan Harris Glassberg
May 1, 1984
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Relatives||Eleanor Tatman (Sister)|
Jon Glassberg (born 1 May 1984) is an American entrepreneur, professional climber, photographer and filmmaker. He is the founder of Louder Than 11, LLC. a film and photo production studio based in Boulder, CO. Glassberg is best known for his work as a cinematographer in a number of award-winning documentaries such as Free Solo, Golden Gate, The Nose, China Doll, and the Cliffside Shop.
Glassberg has gained global recognition as a renowned commercial and documentary filmmaker with his contributions to rock climbing media culminating in the debut of the inaugural Sport Climbing Olympic event in Tokyo, Japan in 2021. Glassberg is known for capturing pictures and video in the vertical world and blurring the line between commercial and documentary cinema. Glassberg is also known for climbing “The Nest” graded V15 in Red Rock National Conservation Area outside of Las Vegas, Nevada.
Early life and education
Glassberg was born on 1 May 1984 to Holly Hintz and Neil Glassberg in Charlottesville, VA. He started climbing at age 11 at Rocky Top Climbing Gym. Glassberg went to high school at Albemarle High and competed as a youth and adult for nearly 20 years.
In 2003, Glassberg moved to Boone, NC, and attended undergraduate and grad school at Appalachian State University, earning a bachelor's and master's degree in Graphic Arts and Imaging Technology, with a focus on Business.
Glassberg started his career as a professional climber when he was 17 years old. He has traveled the world climbing rocks up to 5.14 and V15. During his career, Glassberg developed an authentic perspective on climbing and the outdoor industry. As a director Glassberg captures the spirit and soul of cutting-edge climbing with the world's best climbers.
In 2008, Glassberg founded Louder Than 11 (LT11), a media production company that is known for its work in the outdoor industry. The company has been an exclusive broadcast and media partner with the USA Climbing from 2008-2018. Working with a diverse group of pro athletes and directing a variety of award-winning features and international campaigns for The North Face, Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Black Diamond, and Buff, Glassberg has grown his company, Louder Than Eleven, into one of the outdoor industry's most trusted production houses. He has also managed to attract personal sponsors like Mountain Hardwear, Buff, Friction Labs, Canon, F-Stop, Vuarnet, Petzl, and La Sportiva.
In 2021, Glassberg co-founded Crux Academy, an educational learning platform for the outdoor industry considered the “Masterclass for the Outdoors”. In his career, Glassberg has also done charitable video work for Pathfinder International, Room to Read, Apne Aap Women's Worldwide, Heifer International, VE Global, American Red Cross, and Foothills United Way.
|1||“Satisfaction”||2008||Feature Documentary||Camera op, assistant editor|
|2||“The Swiss Account”||2011||Feature Documentary||DP, Director, Editor|
|3||“The Abyss”||2012||Feature Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|4||“Park Life”||2012||Feature Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|5||“Marmot’s Lead Now Tour”||2013||Short Documentary Series||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|6||“The Nose”||2015||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|7||“Golden Gate”||2015||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|8||“Role Reversal”||2016||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|9||“Kissing the Rock”||2016||Short Documentary||Assistant editor|
|10||“Zodiac”||2017||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|11||“The Incredible Hulk”||2017||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|12||“The Cliffside Shop”||2017||Commercial||DP, Director, Editor|
|13||“The Dawn Wall”||2017||Documentary||Additional cinematography|
|14||“Dreamland”||2017||Documentary (Art)||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|15||“Storm Giant”||2017||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|16||“Freedom of the Wheels”||2018||Short Narrative Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|17||“Reel Rock”||2018||TV Series||Still photographer and Additional crew|
|18||“Magic Mushroom”||2018||Short Documentary||Producer, Director, DP, Editor|
|19||“Free Solo”||2018||Documentary||Camera operator|
|20||“Deep Water”||2019||Short Feature Documentary||Director, DP, Editor|
|21||“CBD Vending Machine”||2021||Commercial||DP, Director, Editor|
|22||“Masterclass: Climbing”||2021||Web TV Series||High Angle DP and Camera op.|
- Storm Giant: Recipient of the Mountain Film Festival Award, Best Documentary Category
- China Doll: Recipient of the Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Award, Independent Documentary Award, Mountain Film Festival Award and Women's Only Entertainment Film Festival Award
- Dreamland: Recipient of the Mountain Film Festival Award
- Free Solo: Recipient of an Oscar, BAFTA, Primetime Emmy
- Going The Distance Vending Machine: Recipient of the Clio Cannabis Award
- Cliffside Shop: Recipient of two Cannes Lions and two Clio Awards
Licenses and certifications
- FAA Certified Drone Pilot, Federal Aviation Administration
- Certified Adobe Expert - Illustrator, Appalachian State University
Glassberg is married to Jessica Glassberg, who is also a professional photographer and has a Ph.D. in photo history. They currently live in Boulder, Colorado, with their dog Jerry, a mini Australian labradoodle.
In the media
- "Jon Glassberg". IMDb. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg". www.sportiva.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "EP 52: Jon Glassberg (Part 1) — Filming Emily Harrington on 'Golden Gate', and Pursuing V15". The Nugget Climbing Podcast. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg: The Man Behind the Lens". frictionlabs.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg". Shine & Polish. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- Admin, Admin. "Jon Glassberg - How to Climb V15". La Sportiva North America. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Perseverance FTW: 5.15 and V15 Take-Downs in France and Red Rock". Climbing. 29 June 2021. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg and a dream come true…". www.up-climbing.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg". www.buffusa.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Flash: 6 Climbing Photos—Philippines Trad, El Cap Free, Utah Bouldering, and More". Climbing. 8 April 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg Athlete Bio | Mountain Hardwear". www.mountainhardwear.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg". The Mountaineers. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "News - Petzl Photo Essay: Jon Glassberg's Mostly-Bolted V7 - Petzl USA". www.petzl.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Visual Revolutionary: Episode 84: Jon Glassberg / Director / Photographer / Professional Climber". visualrevolutionary.libsyn.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "EP 53: Jon Glassberg (Part 2) — Moonboarding, an Example Training Day, and Foreign Haircuts". The Nugget Climbing Podcast. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg". shop.fstopgear.com. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Jon Glassberg". Mountainfilm. 4 May 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Backcountry Marketing: Finding Your Focus As A Freelancer | Jon Glassberg | Louder Than 11 on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Lead Now: One Year of Climbing and Helping Non-Profits Around the World". Climbing. 9 March 2016. Retrieved 5 May 2022.
- "Dreamland: Rockland's Best Bouldering". Climbing. 7 March 2017. Retrieved 5 May 2022.