|Add a Photo|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Parent(s)||Janet and Cornelius Nabers|
|Awards||Writers Guild of America Award for Television: New Series|
Janine Nabers (born October 18th) is an American playwright and TV writer.
Nabers was born in Houston, Texas to Janet and Cornelius Nabers. She attended Alief Elsik High School in Houston. Nabers has a BA in theater from Ithaca College and an MFA in playwriting from The New School. She is also a graduate of the Lila Acheson Wallace American Playwrights Program at the Juilliard School in New York City.
Nabers was initially interested in the theater space as an actress but her frustration with the lack of black roles in plays pushed her toward a penchant for playwriting instead. In her time studying at Juilliard, her play Annie Bosh is Missing was chosen as a finalist for the 2012-2013 Alliance/Kendeda National Graduate Playwriting Competition. Annie Bosh is Missing follows 22-year-old drug addict Annie Bosh who wanders the tumultuous streets of Houston after Hurricane Katrina. The play had its world premiere at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in 2013. Nabers' play, Serial Black Face, about a single mother coping with the disappearance of her son during the Atlanta child murders, won the 2014 Yale Drama Series prize. The award included publication by the Yale University Press. Serial Black Face had its world premiere at the Actor's Express Theatre Company in Atlanta, Georgia in 2016. Nabers' other notable works include A Swell in the Ground, which premiered at the Gift Theatre in Chicago, Illinois in 2017 and Welcome to Jesus, which premiered at The American Theater Company in Chicago in 2017, Juniper; Jubilee and The Peterson Show.
Nabers' television writing credits include Bravo's first scripted series Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce, Lifetime's UnREAL and AMC's Dietland. She is credited as Supervising Producer on the first and second episodes of HBO's Watchmen and Co-Executive Producer on Netflix's Away.
Honors and awards
In 2011, Nabers was the recipient of the Page 73 Playwriting Fellowship. In 2012, she was named a New York Theatre Workshop Playwriting Fellow. As a 2015-2016 participant in the LA Writers' Workshop at Center Theater Group, she won the Fadiman Playwriting Award in 2018 for her play The Peterson Show. She was a 2016-2017 member of the Echo Theater Playwright's Lab.
As a Supervising Producer on HBO's Watchmen, Nabers was nominated for Writers Guild of America Awards for Best New Series and Best Drama Series and won the Best New Series award in 2020.
- Juniper; Jubilee
- Annie Bosh is Missing
- Serial Black Face
- A Swell in the Ground
- Welcome to Jesus
- The Peterson Show
|2015 - 2018||Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce||Story Editor||Episode 2x01: Rule #58: Avoid the Douchemobile
Episode 2x02: Rule#77: Don't Blow the Bubble
Episode 2x03: Rule#8: Timing is Everything
Episode 2x05: Rule #72: It's Never Too Late to Be a Mean Girl
Episode 2x06: Rule #25: Beware the Second Chance
Episode 2x08: Rule #79: Labels are for Canned Goods
Episode 2x10: Rule #36: If You Can't Stand the Heat, you're Cooked
Episode 2x11: Rule #118: Let Her Eat Cake
Episode 2x13: Rule #59: "Happily Ever After" Is an Oxymoron
|2015-2018||Written by||Episode 1x07: Rule #67: Don't Kill the Princess
Episode 2x07: Rule #14: No Means... No
Episode 2x12: Rule #876: Everything Does Not Happen for a Reason
Episode 4x03: Rule #706: Let Them Eat Cupcakes
Episode 5x03: Rule #97: It Takes Two to Stab yourself in the Butt
|2017||Co-producer/Written by||Episode 3x05: Rule #99: Cook Naked|
|2016||UnREAL||Executive Story Editor||Episode 2x01: War
Episode 2x02: Insurgent
Episode 2x03: Guerilla
Episode 2x05: Infiltration
Episode 2x06: Casualty
Episode 2x07: Ambush
Episode 2x08: Fugitive
|2016||Executive Story Editor/Written By||Episode 2x04: Treason|
|2018||Dietland||Supervising Producer/Teleplay By||Episode 1x06: Belly of the Beast|
|2018||Supervising Producer||Episode 1x01: Pilot
Episode 1x02: Tender Belly
Episode 1x03: Y Not
Episode 1x04: F... This
Episode 1x05: Plum Tuckered
Episode 1x07: Monster High
Episode 1x08: Red Fatties
Episode 1x09: Woman Down
Episode 1x10: Bedwomb
|2019||Watchmen||Supervising Producer||Episode 1x01: It's Summer and We're Running Out of Ice
Episode 1x02: Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship
|2020||Away||Co-Executive Producer||Episode 1x06: A Little Faith|
- Nabers, Janine. "Juniper; Jubilee." Off Off Broadway Festival Plays, 33rd Series, edited by Thomas C. Dunn. New York: Samuel French, 2008; ISBN: 9780573670367
- Nabers, Janine. Letters to Kurt, Playscripts Incorporated, 2012; ISBN: 9781623844172
- Nabers, Janine. Decade: Twenty New Plays about 9/11 and Its Legacy, edited by Samual Adamson, London: Nick Hern Books, 2012; ISBN: 9781848422308
- Nabers, Janine. Serial Black Face. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2015; ISBN: 0300211376
- Nabers, Janine. "Serial Black Face." The Kilroys List: 97 Monologues and Scenes by Female and Trans Playwrights. Volume One, edited by Annah Feinberg for The Kilroys, New York: Theatre Communications Group, 2017; ISBN: 9781559365352
In the media
- Alexander, Andrew (August 16, 2016). "'Serial Black Face' revisits Atlanta child murders". AJC. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- "Winners & Finalists | Alliance Theatre". alliancetheatre.org. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- "Annie Bosh is Missing | Steppenwolf Theatre". www.steppenwolf.org. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- Kozinn, Allan (2014-03-26). "Janine Nabers Wins Yale Drama Series Prize". ArtsBeat. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- "Serial Black Face | Actor's Express". www.actors-express.com. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- "A SWELL IN THE GROUND - Shows and Events - The Gift Theatre". thegifttheatre.org. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- "Welcome To Jesus - American Theater Company - Chicago". www.theatreinchicago.com. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- "The Sugar Plum Interview: 3 Questions for Janine Nabers". Sarai Walker. Retrieved 2020-09-03.
- Miller, Hillary (2020). Playwrights on Television: Conversations with Dramatists. Routledge. ISBN 978-0815352235.
- Stedman, Michael Schneider,Cynthia Littleton,Alex; Schneider, Michael; Littleton, Cynthia; Stedman, Alex (2020-02-02). "WGA Awards: 'Parasite,' 'Jojo Rabbit,' HBO Among Top Winners (Full List)". Variety. Retrieved 2020-09-10.
- Janine Nabers on imdb
- Janine Nabers on Instagram
- Janine Nabers | Actor's Express
- Janine Nabers | Playscripts, Inc.
- Janine Nabers Theatre Credits, News, Bio and Photos
- Janine Nabers | Concord Theatricals
- The Sugar Plum Interview: 3 Questions for Janine Nabers
- https://newyorktheater.me/2020/05/22/playwrights-on-television-conversations-with-dramatists/janine-nabers/ Janine Nabers – New York Theater]
- Janine Nabers | Steppenwolf Theatre
This article "Janine Nabers" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.