|Born||July 4, 1990|
|Nationality||Lebanese, Ghanian, Canadian|
|Years active||2015 - present|
|Known for||Global Basketball Trainer|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
Jamil Abiad (born 4 July 1990) is a Canadian entrepreneur, global basketball trainer, sports coach, and motivational speaker. He is the founder of Next Level Media, NL Fitness, and Team Believe Basketball. Next Level Media is a company that specializes in producing professional-grade media (photographs & videos)for all types of events. NL Fitness is a personal brand of Abiad, under which he offers basketball training to his clients. Team Believe is a basketball organization in Ottawa under the leadership of Abiad.
Abiad is a renowned ex-professional basketball player and the recipient of a silver & gold medal in University and also received the Garth Smith Award. Abiad is an Under Armor Canada ambassador, NBYMP Mentor, Louis Riel Jr. Boys Basketball Head Coach, Sahel Basketball Technical Director, and Trainer. Abiad has worked alongside NBA/WNBA players, NBA scouts, coaches, and other global trainers.
Abiad is best known for his contribution to uplifting the basketball scene in Canada. He has addressed multiple events and has been featured in leading media outlets including Forbes, Thrive Global, Medium, Globe NewsWire, London Daily Post, Disrupt Magazine, and several others.
Early life and education
Abiad was born on 4th July 1990 in Windsor, Canada, and grew up with three younger brothers. Abiad was indulged in sports from a noticeably young age. During his school years, Abiad was a standout soccer player & track athlete. His family moved to Ottawa, Ontario, when Abiad was nine years old. He attended Colonel by high school, where he was a four-time high school city all-star. During his time there, Jamil won multiple Tournament MVPs and an OFSAA AAAA City Championship.
After completing his high school graduation, Abiad attended Bishops University, where he pursued a bachelor’s degree course in sports studies. During his time there, Abiad was a 2-time RSEQ Finalist, securing a silver medal in 2013 and a championship trophy in 2015, which allowed the school to compete in the USPORTS Nationals, where they ranked 6th. Throughout his career, Jamil was highly acclaimed for his prolific shooting, speed, confidence, and leadership. During his time at Bishop’s, he received the Garth Smith Award 2014-2015 and was also nominated as the Athlete of the week.
Abiad started his basketball career in 2004 and retired in 2018.
|2.||Hoops Club, Lebanon Div 1||2015-2016|
|3.||Wellington Basketball Club, Canadian Basketball League||2016-2017|
|4.||Tadamon Club, Lebanon Div||2017-2018|
Abiad founded Next Level Media in 2016, a media production company that specializes in producing professional-grade media (photographs & videos) for all types of events. After a year of its inception, Abiad organized an exposure camp that focused on helping athletes gain exposure.
In 2018, he became a technical director at Sahel Basketball, a research group for African basketball. In the same year, Abiad founded NL Fitness, a Global Basketball Training Service offered by Abiad himself. Under this umbrella he offers multiple services such as 1 on 1 Private Training, Group Training, Team Training Camps, Clinics, and others.
He soon after started Team Believe in 2019, a competitive boys basketball organization in the Ottawa area. This organization aims to help individuals reach their maximum potential not only on the court but in all aspects of their lives.
Abiad is currently a global basketball coach & trainer. He is also an Under Armour Canada Ambassador and NBYMP (National Basketball Youth Mentorship Program) Mentor. In his professional career, he has traveled to various countries in the world like Lebanon, Chad, Gabon, Senegal, across Canada, and places in the United States.
- 4x High school City All-star (05-09)
- Multiple MVP & Awards (High school)
- OFSAA "AAAA" City Champion (08-09)
- 2x RSEQ Finalist (1 Silver Medal and 1 Gold Medal)
- Garth Smith Award (2014-2015)
- Athlete of the week (2014)
In the media
- "Jamil Abiad - NL Fitness: Helping Others To Score Their Basketball Dreams". FACES Magazine. 21 June 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Canadian Jamil Abiad is an Entrepreneur, Motivational Speaker, Influencer, and Global Basketball Trainer". CEO MEDIUM. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- Fitness, Jamil Abiad-NL (22 August 2020). "Global Basketball Trainer & Coach Jamil Abiad is Dedicated to Our Youth". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad Is A Global Trainer At The Heart Of Canada's Basketball Revolution". Forbes India. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Global Basketball Trainer & Coach | Jamil Abiad | Ontario". Jamil Abiad. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad, Canadian Global Basketball Trainer". PRUnderground. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad - Men's Basketball". Bishop's University Athletics. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Next Level | CTV News". ottawa.ctvnews.ca. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- John, Boban (18 November 2020). "Jamil Abiad: Meet this Impressive Coach, Professional Basketball Trainer, and Mentor". Medium. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "NBA playoffs resume today | CTV News". www.ctvnews.ca. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "HOOPS AND DREAMS: NBA boycott scores on Ottawa's basketball courts". ottawasun. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad's experience with adversity has made him a better basketball trainer and mentor". LondonDailyPost.com. 2 November 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- Bear, Frank (21 September 2020). "Jamil Abiad's Contribution to Canadian Basketball Continues to Grow". Sunrise News. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad: Life As a Basketball Trainer and Growing Basketball in Canada". VAVEL. 1 October 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Serial Entrepreneur Jamil Abiad is Helping Youth Through his Businesses". Daily Scanner. 22 September 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- Grilli, Jonathan (1 November 2020). "Jamil Abiad Working To Grow Basketball Training Empire". Bigtime Daily. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Global Basketball Trainer & Coach Jamil Abiad is Dedicated to Our Youth". ca.news.yahoo.com. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad: Life As a Basketball Trainer and Growing Basketball in Canada". News Break. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "NBA boycott resonates on Ottawa's local basketball courts". ottawacitizen. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad, Professional Basketball Trainer, Continues to Provide Premiere Training to Athletes From Canada and Abroad". Unique News Online. 8 July 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Canadian International Basketball Trainer Dedicated To Bettering Youth". Player Side of Sport by SPMA. 21 July 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- Malik, Saqib. "Meet Jamil Abiad – Global basketball trainer who looks to make an impact in the growth of Canadian Basketball". Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Jamil Abiad is Influencing Those Around him While Making an Impact on the Basketball World". Disrupt Magazine. 7 November 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.