|Add a Photo|
|Citizenship||United States of America, Russia|
|Alma mater||City University of New York|
|Known for||Known for his contributions to geometric group theory, geometric topology, and complexity theory|
Ilya Kapovich is a Russian-American mathematician and a Professor of Mathematics at the Hunter College of CUNY. He is known for his contributions to geometric group theory, geometric topology, and complexity theory.
He received his Ph.D. from the Graduate Center of CUNY in 1996 under the direction of Gilbert Baumslag. After postdoc positions at Rutgers University and Hebrew University, he worked at the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign from 2000 to 2018.  While at Illinois, he has had several visiting positions. Most notably, he was an Alexander von Humboldt Foundation research fellow at Frankfurt University during Spring 2006, and Ada Peluso Visiting Professor at Hunter College during Spring 2017.
In 2012, he was named an inaugural fellow of the American Mathematical Society. He delivered an invited address at 2008 Spring Eastern Sectional meeting of the AMS.
He has worked on problems related to automorphisms of free groups, free-by-cyclic groups, mapping class groups as well as complexity and decision problems in group theory. He has supervised 8 PhD students to completion as of 2020.
Between 2010 and 2015, he served on the editorial board of the LMS Journal of Mathematics and Computation.
His older brother Michael Kapovich is a professor of mathematics at the University of California, Davis, and his twin brother Vitali Kapovitch is a professor of mathematics at the University of Toronto. 
- Ilya Kapovich and Alexei Myasnikov (2002). "Stallings Foldings and Subgroups of Free Groups." Journal of Algebra. doi:10.1006/jabr.2001.9033* Ilya Kapovich, Alexei Myasnikov, PaulSchupp, Vladimir Shpilrain (2002). "Generic-case complexity, decision problems in group theory, and random walks" Journal of Algebra. doi:10.1016/S0021-8693(03)00167-4* Ilya Kapovich, Alexei Myasnikov, PaulSchupp, Vladimir Shpilrain (2005). "Average-case complexity and decision problems in group theory." Advances in Mathematics
In the media
- Kapovich, Ilya (2020-06-27). "CV" (PDF).
- "Mathematics and Statistics Faculty at Hunter College". 22.214.171.124. Retrieved 2020-06-27.
- Kapovich, Misha. "Misha Kapovich's bio".
- Ilya Kapovich Google Scholar
- Ilya Kapovich | Mathematics at Illinois
- Ilya Kapovich's homepage - Illinois
- Ilya Kapovich - CUNY-Hunter College
- Ilya KAPOVICH | Professor | PhD in Mathematics, City College of new york
- Ilya Kapovich on linkedin
- Ilya Kapovich - The Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Ilya Kapovich at Hunter College - RateMyProfessors.com
- Ilya Kapovich at University Of Illinois at Urbana
This article "Ilya Kapovich" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.