Herbert D. Hernandez
Herbert D. Hernandez
|Born||April 15, 1981|
Quezon City, Philippines
|Alma mater||University of Santo Tomas|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (175 cm)|
|Spouse(s)||Heidi Borja Hernandez|
Herbert D. Hernandez (born April 15, 1981) is a Filipino artist, songwriter, guitarist, and advertising executive. He is the founder of GIGIL Advertising, an independent creative agency based in the Philippines, and the co-founder of Indierectory, an independent advertising ideas agency. With over 20+ years of industry experience, Hernandez has received several awards and recognitions for his work and contribution, including "40 Under 40" by Campaign Asia and "The Most inspiring Talents of 2021" by Adweek's Creative 100.
Additionally, Hernandez is a renowned guitarist, having played for nationally recognized bands such as 6cyclemind and Moonstar88. He is known for composing one of the country's most-streamed songs, 'Migraine,' which has scored 100 million plays on Spotify.
Early life and education
Herbert Hernandez was born on April 15, 1981, in Quezon City, Philippines. Hernandez has always had an interest in music and mathematics. His ability to play the guitar was evident at the age of nine when his brother Darwin Hernandez taught him. In high school, he represented Rizal in the Math Olympiad and was the president of St. Matthews Academy's student council. In addition, he received several accolades, including the Gerry Roxas Leadership Award and the Juan Luna Award for Outstanding Artist of the Batch. Hernandez continued his academic success when he was elected president of the College of Fine Arts and Design's student council at the University of Santo Tomas. Moreover, he co-founded the band Moonstar88 in 1999.
In 2002, Herbert Hernandez graduated with honors from the University of Santo Tomas with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Advertising. Owing to his outstanding academic performance, he was awarded both the UST Rector's Award and the UST Quezon Leadership Award. In 2001, he also got the San Mateo Rizal Youth Achievement Award.
After graduating from college, Herbert Hernandez pursued a career in advertising and has held several positions in the industry. He started his career in February 2003 as an Art Director for J. Walter Thompson Manila, known for developing Red Horse Musiklaban, Ford, and Lipton marketing materials. From February 2006 to March 2012, Hernandez was a Creative Director for DM9JaymeSyfu, developing campaign ideas for Tanduay Ice, Smart Telecom, and the Department of Health. He also served as the Executive Creative Director for Young & Rubicam, Manila, from March 2012 to June 2017, overseeing campaigns for brands such as SMART Telecom, Caltex, and Ford Philippines.
Hernandez founded GIGIL Advertising Group Inc. in 2017. The company has won over 180 local and global awards in just five years and was named Campaign Philippines Independent Agency of the Year and Creative Agency of the Year in 2020. Adage also named GIGIL Advertising Group Inc. the International Small Agency of the Year in 2021. Through the company, Hernandez has led creative campaigns and executions for brands such as 7-Eleven, Netflix, Jollibee, Levi's, and Unilever.
Hernandez's musical career has also been inspiring. He is a founding member, guitarist, and songwriter of Moonstar88, which has released four studio albums: Popcorn, Press to Play, Todo Combo, and This Year. One of the band's hit songs, "Migraine," has over 100 million streams on Spotify. Hernandez is also a guitarist for 6cyclemind and was part of the production of the album Goodbye Sunday.
Hernandez is an active member of several organizations, including the Creative Guild of the Philippines, IMMAP, and the Filipino Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers, Inc. (FILSCAP), where he has been an ambassador for the Hero Foundation.
Awards and recognitions
- Herbert Hernandez has been credited as "The Most inspiring Talents of 2021" by Adweek's Creative 100.
- He has been recognized as "40 Under 40" by Campaign Asia (2020).
- GIGIL has been credited as the “Creative Agency of the Year” by Campaign Asia (2020).
- GIGIL is also known to have nominated and received several awards at Cannes, One Show, AWARD Awards, The Clios, ADFEST, APAC Effies, LIA, AD Stars, and Spikes Asia, for its outstanding performance and creative work in the industry.
Herbert Hernandez currently resides in Manila, Philippines. He is married to Heidi Borja Hernandez, a beauty queen, makeup artist, and commercial model.
In the media
- "Ad man and music guy Herbert Hernandez on grand plans and happy accidents". news.abs-cbn.com. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- Rajapaksha, Ravi (15 November 2022). "Herbert Hernandez Disrupts the Advertising World and Has No Plans of Stopping". Disrupt. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- Staff, Dancing Astronaut (19 May 2022). "Herbert Hernandez's triple-threat performer status, and where he is now". Dancing Astronaut. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- "herbert hernandez, Founding Partner". Best Ads on TV. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- Nellist, George (13 October 2022). "How ad agency GIGIL came to be: a conversation with co-founder Herbert Hernandez". Digital Journal. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- "Ad Exec Herbert Hernandez Pushes the Limits, Goes Viral & Scoops Up Awards". techtimes.com. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- Team, The Good News Pilipinas (21 June 2021). "Viral video ad maker Gigil's founders named 1st Filipinos in Adweek Creative 100". Good News Pilipinas. Retrieved 10 March 2023.
- "40 Under 40 2020: Herbert Hernandez, Gigil | Advertising". Campaign Asia. Retrieved 10 March 2023.