|Born||1988 (age 32–33)|
|Education||Fashion Institute of Technology|
|Years active||2012 - present|
|Known for||Whisper Bridal, New York|
Guillermo Pharis (born 1988) is a Honduran fashion designer and entrepreneur. He is the owner of GIA ATELIER NEW YORK, INC., a leading fashion company based in New York that specializes in custom made luxury bridal and eveningwear. Pharis is also the founder of WHISPER by GUILLERMO PHARIS, a global bridal brand.
Pharis has over a decade’s experience in the fashion industry and has worked for some of America’s leading bridal and evening designers. He is widely recognized for his clothing line and has been featured in several media outlets including, Huffington post, The Press of Honduras, The Herald of Honduras, Fashion week online, Tiempo Digital, Wedding Inspirasi, and others. He is a member of The Fashion group international (FGI) in the New York region since 2019.
Early life and education
Pharis was born in 1988 in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. He grew up in La Ceiba and San Pedro Sula, Honduras, and was raised by a single mother and his aunts. Pharis was inclined towards the fashion industry from a very young age and developed his passion for the industry after watching a couture fashion show of Christian Lacroix and Christian Dior.
Women became the primary source of inspiration for Pharis during middle and high school. After graduating from high school, Pharis enrolled in an architecture bachelors’ program, but after his third semester, he decided to follow his dream of becoming a fashion designer. Pharis moved to New York City when he was 26 years old and enrolled at The Fashion Institute of Technology.
Pharis started his career in 2012 when he won a fashion contest in Central America. Soon after this victory, Pharis signed a contract with a fashion company and sold a mass collection.
In 2014, Pharis moved to New York City and started working as a freelance fashion design instructor. Pharis freelanced for over three years, during which he supported students from Parsons The New School and helped them with the product development process, especially garment construction and pattern making. Pharis was also a dressmaking teacher for students from private institutes of New York and Long Island.
During his time as a student at The Fashion Institute of Technology, he interned and worked for a short period of time in different labels and fashion studios all over New York City, including Calvin Klein and Dennis Basso. While trying to find the right direction, he had the opportunity of making costumes for The Lion King and Madonna’s dancers for The Rebel heart tour.
In 2017, Pharis joined SemSem LLC, a luxury fashion line based in New York as a product development associate. Pharis worked for over a year with this brand, during which he was responsible for supporting the senior designer, production manager, and design team with product development and the technical process. Pharis also was involved in the direction of small productions and the development of Red carpet gowns.
Pharis founded GIA ATELIER NEW YORK, INC., a fashion brand based in New York. GIA ATELIER specializes in custom made dresses, Bridal collections, Gender neutral Ready-to-wear, and shoes. Pharis’ brand is known for its eco-friendly design process and is inspired by Gia Marie Carangi, a 70’s American fashion model. In the same year, Pharis presented his first ready to wear collection in 2017 called Eye candy, which was inspired by the fascination of color and the American painter Bruce Gray.
In 2018, Pharis launched his first couture collection called Flora, which was inspired by the artist Henry Mattise. In 2019 Pharis launched WHISPER by Guillermo Pharis, a registered trademark and global bridal brand. WHISPER Bridal is available worldwide through the official website and has authorized stockists in The United States and China.
Pharis was formerly known as Guillermo Irias, but he changed his last name when he married Andrew Pharis, an American architect, in 2018. Their marriage was officiated by Bobby Berk, an interior designer, and reality television host.
In the media
- "Guillermo Irías: The Future of Fashion". Revista Estilo Honduras (in español). Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Gia New York & Whisper Bridal". Fashion Week Online®. 29 October 2019. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- Inspirasi, Nina @ Wedding. "Whisper Bridal Spring 2021 Wedding Dresses". Wedding Inspirasi. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "LA FEMME". La Botanica. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "▷ Amiga: Vestidos de novia 2021 de Guillermo Pharis » Domiplay". hn.domiplay.net. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Whispers: Lanzamiento de la Colección Primavera-Verano 2021". Honduras Magazine (in español). Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "label: Whisper Bridal Archives". BridalPulse. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Hondureño se destaca en el extranjero con sus vestidos de novia". Honduras Tips (in español). 9 December 2020. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- Wong, Curtis M. (25 June 2018). "'Queer Eye' Star Bobby Berk Marks Pride By Officiating 3 Weddings". HuffPost. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Guilermo". tiempo.hn. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- YORK, GIA NEW. "GIA NEW YORK - EVENING AND custom made wedding gowns". GIA NEW YORK. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "'Eye Candy' lo nuevo de Guillermo Irías". Diario El Heraldo (in español). Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "La colección de novias 2021 de Guillermo Pharis". Revista Estilo Honduras (in español). Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "La cautivante colección Flora de Guillermo Irías". Diario La Prensa (in español). Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Lo nuevo de Whisper Bridal para novias románticas". Diario La Prensa (in español). Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Hondureño triunfa en el mundo de la moda de Estados Unidos y China". Honduras.com (in español). 3 December 2020. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Vestidos de novia de hondureño se venden en EEUU y China". Blog Ruta5 (in español). 3 December 2020. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "WHISPER BY GUILLERMO PHARIS - Pharis, Guillermo Trademark Registration". USPTO.report. Retrieved 16 December 2020.
- "Guilermo". tiempo.hn. Retrieved 16 December 2020.