The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline.
|Mayor of Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota|
|Assumed office |
January 6, 2003
|Preceded by||Joe Atkins|
|Born||September 16, 1950|
South St. Paul, Minnesota
|Residence||Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota|
|Add a Photo|
George Tourville (born September 16, 1950) is the mayor of Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. First elected in 2002, he became the 9th Mayor of Inver Grove Heights after previously serving 21 years on the City Council. In 2018 Tourville was elected to his 9th term, making him the longest serving mayor of the city, a record previously held by his predecessor Joe Atkins, who served 5 terms.
Early life, education and career
Tourville grew up in South St. Paul and graduated in 1968 from South St. Paul High School. After returning to home he attended Inver Hills Community College and worked as a paramedic at Divine Redeemer Hospital and served on the Inver Grove Heights Fire Department for 26 years. Since 1983 he has worked in the sales department of many companies, most recently he was hired as Senior Regional Sales Manager for SEH Incorporated in Vadnais Heights, Minnesota.
Tourville was elected to the Inver Grove Heights City Council in 1981, and was elected mayor in 2002. Over his tenure as mayor, Tourville has overseen the largest expansion of commercial development in the city's history. A trend exemplified controversially by the carrying out of a plan to build a Wal-Mart in the southern end of the city despite immense public backlash, culminating in a lawsuit that was ultimately kicked back to the city counsel by the judge overseeing the case. In 2020 Tourville announced that he would not be seeking a 10th term.
- Roberts, Jeff (14 August 2012). "George Tourville, Candidate for Mayor of Inver Grove Heights". patch.com. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- Burlingame, Hannah (15 October 2018). "Inver Grove Heights candidates focus on expanding the tax base". Lillienews.com. Lillie Suburban Newspapers. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- Glewwe, Lois A. (1990). The History of Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota's Treasure 1858-1990. City of Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. p. 323.
- "Mayor George Tourville". Municipal Legislative Commision. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
- Bonner, Brian (10 April 2005). "Wal-mart Spawns Development Boom - Not All Welcome Evolution". St. Paul Pioneer Press. p. B1.
- Arginteanu, Judy (12 March 2002). "'Suburban Lawn' Activists// These Well-informed and Well-heeled Residents Are a New and Remarkably Influential Breed of Traditional Grass-roots Organization". St. Paul Pioneer Press. p. C1.
- Arginteanu, Judy (16 March 2002). "Critics of Wal-Mart Ask: 'Do We Really Need Another One?'". St. Paul Pioneer Press. Saint Paul, Minnesota. p. B2.
- Bonner, Brian (26 January 2004). "Wal-Mart Opening Two Years after Fight - Retailer's Plans Led to Final Compromise". St. Paul Pioneer Press. p. C1.
- Staff (12 August 2020). "Primary election results yield interesting fall suburban contests". Minneapolis Star Tribune. Retrieved 18 September 2020.
Tourville lives in Inver Grove Heights with his wife, Barb. He has three children: Ben, Renee, and Teresa; all of whom are grown.
This article "George Tourville" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.