Echoes of Harlem (swing dance troupe)
Echoes of Harlem, named after the Duke Ellington song "Echoes of Harlem" from 1936, is a swing dance troupe based in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. "Founded in 2008, Echoes of Harlem celebrates the music, movement, and style of the swing era. From ragtime rhythms to swingin’ big bands, our repertoire encompasses high-flying lindy hop, soulful blues, cheeky charleston and other specialty dances."
Past and present members originate from different parts of Australia, as well as Argentina, Canada and the USA. Many started dancing with Swing Patrol and are/were teachers for Swing Patrol or 1929 Studios.
Echoes of Harlem have performed in Melbourne and Sydney. Notable venues include Melbourne Town Hall (2013), Arts Centre Melbourne's Hamer Hall, Hamer Hall (2013, 2015), Thornbury Theatre (2015), Bella Union (2017), Ormond Hall (2014), Melba Spiegeltent (2016). Below is a listing of some of those performances and video where possible.
|Show / Event Name||Description||Video||Date|
|"Rugcutters Live Jazz Party"||"Hoot and holler and enjoy the hell out of yourself! Unleash your inner jazz hound, modern-day dandy, hepcat or swing kid and get your jam on at Rugcutters’ live jazz party. "
Four Rugcutters events ran with Echoes of Harlem performing an entirely new 20-30 minute show each event.
In conjunction with 1929 Studios.
|Promotional video||Four shows:
(1) February 11, 2017
(2) May 27, 2017
(3) July 29, 2017
(4) September 23, 2017
|"Speak Easy, Swing Hard"||On Friday, October 23, 2015, Echoes of Harlem presented their very first sold-out show "Speak Easy, Swing Hard" at the Thornbury Theatre showcasing three acts of spirited lindy hop and vintage jazz dance.
Act 1 – Speaking Easy (1920s)
Our newlyweds stumble upon a speakeasy and get swept up in rhythm and revelry, partying like it’s 1929.
Act 2 – The Joint Gets Jumpin’ (1930s to 1940s)
The bar of ill-repute is now the place to be! It’s time to jump, jitterbug, and dance through the heady days of the WWII era.
Act 3 – Rhythm Revisited (Modern Era)
A new owner and his friends revive the spirit of the swing era, breathing life into a forgotten gem.
|Act 1 -
Act 2 - https://youtu.be/ihlM8kEwTiw
Act 3 - https://youtu.be/1sOwjHhhKkI
|October 23, 2015|
|"Swinging the Spiegeltent"||Performance at Swing Patrol’s "Swinging The Spiegeltent Christmas Party"||December 3, 2016|
|"A Night at The Cotton Club"||Show performed live to Michael McQuaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers celebrating and paying tribute to Cotton Club in Harlem (and midtown) New York City, US in the 1923-1940.||October 9, 2009|
|"Roaring Swing"||Capturing the colour and energy of the swing era, Echoes of Harlem perform a number of pieces with live music by Michael McQuaid's Red Hot Rhythmakers at the Melbourne Swing Festival/Melbourne International Jazz Festival||June 9, 2013|
Echoes of Harlem periodically offers workshops to the local swing dance community (calendar of events). On World Lindy Hop Day (May 26, 2018), Echoes of Harlem celebrated with a workshop and social dance night.
On September 9, 2018, Echoes of Harlem hosted “The Big Practice” workshop. “This workshop is about what you want to work on, about getting together in one big room to practise whatever you want for as long as you want with experienced help on hand. It’s an open session where dancers of all levels can explore ideas, seek feedback, get practice tips, spend one-on-one time with troupe members, and also meet other dancers and future practise pals.”
To celebrate their tenth anniversary, Echoes of Harlem commissioned an “Artists In Residence” (AIR) program where an exceptional swing dance couple works intensively with the troupe for 10 days across a variety of Jazz and Lindy Hop topics. In November 2018, acclaimed dancers and teachers Marie N’Diaye and Anders Sihlberg (based in Sweden) were selected as the AIRs. There were public and private workshops and a social dance night, called "Harlem Roots". 
In the media
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "Echoes of Harlem | Good Old Fashioned Entertainment!". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "Rugcutters Live Jazz Party". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "Speak Easy, Swing Hard – Act 1". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "Speak Easy, Swing Hard – Act 2". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "Speak Easy, Swing Hard – Act 3". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Swing Patrol's Swinging the Spiegeltent Christmas Party - Swing Patrol - Melbourne". Swing Patrol - Melbourne. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- ""Echoes Of Harlem" with Michael Mcquaid". Jazz Lives. 2009-10-11. Retrieved 2018-07-13.
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "World Lindy Hop Day". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- http://www.echoesofharlem.com. "The Big Practice: A workshop all about you! | Echoes of Harlem | Good Old Fashioned Entertainment!". www.echoesofharlem.com. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
- "Harlem Roots feat. Marie N'Diaye & Anders Sihlberg". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2018-10-03.
This article "Echoes of Harlem (swing dance troupe)" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.