Dr. Emily Splichal
Dr. Emily Splichal
|Born||July 7, 1980|
Dickinson, North Dakota, United States
Dr. Emily Splichal (born July 7, 1980) is an American podiatrist, human movement specialist, author, public speaker, and global leader in barefoot training and rehabilitation. She is the founder and CEO of Naboso Technology, a startup known for its innovative insoles, socks and accessories mats that enhance movement and stimulate the nervous system. Dr. Splichal is also the creator of the Barefoot Training Specialist Certification and the founder of the Evidence Based Fitness Academy (EFBA Global). Dr. Splichal is also an accomplished author, having written the influential book Barefoot Strong: Unlock the Secrets to Movement Longevity as well as contributed to several textbooks including: The Myofascial System in Form and Movement and Metabolic Therapies in Orthopedics.
With over 22 years of experience, she has become a prominent figure in the fitness industry, focusing on postural alignment, barefoot science, and foot-to-core integration. Dr. Splichal has been featured in reputable media outlets such as The New Yorker, The New York Times, and Well + Good. Her expertise and contributions have made her a sought-after consultant for leading fitness, footwear, and orthotic companies.
Early life and education
Dr. Splichal was born and raised in Dickinson, North Dakota, in the United States. From a young age, she developed a passion for athleticism and was actively involved in competitive gymnastics for over 13 years.
After completing her high school education, she pursued forensic science at Hamline University in St. Paul, Minnesota, conducting research in forensic chemistry during internships at Walter Reed Medical Center and the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. During this internship, she completed a research study titled "Analysis of Fluoride in Post-Mortem Tissues Using an Ion-Selective Electrode."
Driven by her interest in sports and human movement, Dr. Splichal transitioned her career to the fitness industry. She became a personal trainer and fitness instructor at Crunch Fitness gym in New York City.
She later enrolled at the New York College of Podiatric Medicine, where she began questioning conventional podiatric practices and exploring a more functional perspective. Dr. Splichal delved into the integrated function of the foot, leading her to leave the program and pursue a master's degree in human movement at A.T. Still University in 2009.
After completing her Master of Science in Human Movement, she returned to her podiatric training and finished her surgical residency at Mt. Vernon Hospital in Mt. Vernon, New York. In 2017, Dr. Splichal underwent a professional shift, transitioning to functional and regenerative medicine and prioritizing a holistic and comprehensive approach to patient care.
After completing her residency, Dr. Splichal joined Gramercy Park Podiatry in New York City, where she applied her functional approach to podiatry.
In 2010, Dr. Splichal founded Evidence Based Fitness Academy (EBFA) Global, an educational company focused on neuroplasticity, emotional intelligence, proprioceptive training, and fascial integration. The organization offers Certifications and Continuing Education courses for health and wellness professionals worldwide. Dr. Splichal's Barefoot Training Specialist® Program has been presented nationally and internationally, spanning over 35 countries and being available in 12 languages.
In 2015, Dr. Splichal published "Barefoot Strong: Unlock the Secrets to Movement Longevity," a book delving into the science behind barefoot training and its impact on overall movement and health.
In 2017, Dr. Splichal established The Center for Functional & Regenerative Podiatry, deviating from traditional podiatry and insurance models. As a functional podiatrist, she specializes in barefoot science, foot-to-core integration, and sensory integration. Dr. Splichal's treatment approach incorporates innovative techniques such as PRP, stem cell therapy, red light therapy, dry needling, and integrated exercises. Her expertise has made her a sought-after consultant for prominent fitness, footwear, and orthotic companies.
In 2017, Dr. Splichal founded Naboso, a pioneering sensory technology company specializing in textured products designed to activate the nerves in the feet. Through her innovative approach, she has transformed the industry by creating cutting-edge insoles, socks, and accessories that optimize movement and stimulate the nervous system. These products feature a unique patented texture with two-point discrimination.
Naboso's textured products have demonstrated remarkable potential for enhancing movement and delivering benefits such as improved foot awareness, balance, and posture. Particularly in individuals with chronic neurological conditions like Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and neuropathy, the use of these textured insoles has shown promising results, drawing from research focused on their efficacy.
Dr. Splichal's media presence took off in 2009 with the introduction of her Catwalk Confidence program, a barefoot workout aimed at improving posture and balance for high-heel wearers. The program gained traction at major fitness chains like Town Sports International and Crunch Fitness. This led to widespread media coverage, earning Dr. Splichal the title of the podiatrist who endorsed high heels.
She made appearances on renowned TV shows, including The Oprah Winfrey Show, The Doctors, The Today Show, HSN, and the Rachael Ray Show. She has also been featured on various podcast shows such as Mark Bell's Power Project, Boss Body Podcast, The Strength Connection, and The Living. Fit Show, Bare Bones Yoga, Barenaked Health Podcast, Bliss Ignorance, and The Fitness Industry Podcast.
In 2012, Dr. Splichal expanded her media involvement beyond high heels to encompass natural foot health, human movement, and general foot care. She has since served as a consultant and expert for leading fitness, footwear, and orthotic companies, including Nike Innovations, Bunion Bootie, RAD Roller, Lissom Footwear, Vibram, Orthofeet, Aetrex Worldwide, Trigger Point Performance Therapy, PowerPlate USA, Rocktape, NASM, and ACE.
Dr. Splichal has featured articles in prestigious publications such as The New Yorker, The New York Times, Medical Daily, Bustle, Footwear News, The Inquirer, WELL + GOOD, and more. Her expertise and contributions have earned her recognition in the media as a trusted authority in the foot health and wellness industry.
- Splichal, Emily (2015). Barefoot Strong: Unlock the Secrets to Movement Longevity. Ebfa. p. 112. ISBN 978-0-692-38090-1. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
In the media
- "Dr. Emily Splichal, Author at MedFitNetwork". MedFitNetwork. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr. Emily Splichal". SimpliFaster. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Emily Splichal". ASIA Fitness Conference 2023+. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Emily Splichal - Instructor". RAD Roller. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr. Emily Splichal: How Caring for Your Feet Impacts Your Overall Health". ART19. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr. Emily Splichal". YogaUOnline. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "The Breath as the Driver to Stability | Part 2: Foot to Diaphragm Connections | Power Athlete". powerathletehq.com. 16 October 2020. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr. Emily Splichal – FUNCTIONAL AGING Summit". functionalagingsummit.com. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Faculty and MI Team". Evidence Based Fitness Academy. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr Emily Splichal". The Boston Run Show. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- Greenfield, Ben (7 June 2018). "Barefoot Strong: Unlock the Secrets to Movement Longevity". Ben Greenfield Life - Health, Diet, Fitness, Family & Faith. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Barefoot Training Benefits & Risks With Dr. Emily Splichal - BuiltLean". www.builtlean.com. 31 October 2012. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr. Emily Splichal - Why Should We Train Barefoot - The Robby Row Show". therobbyrowshow.com/. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Health and Performance Coaching. Train "in side out". Wellness Podcast". Marin Lazic. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Stiletto School - How to Walk in Heels Video". Oprah.com. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- Smith, Candace Cordelia (13 April 2022). "CEO Corner: Dr. Emily Splichal, the Mind Behind Naboso, Explains it All About Foot Health". Athletech News. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- Technology, Naboso (22 January 2019). "Naboso™ Technology Expands Product Line to include the First Commercially Available Textured Insoles and Mats designed to Improve Posture, Balance and Strength through Stimulation of the Feet". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "An interview with Dr. Emily CEO/ Founder of Naboso Technology and EBFA". Willkin. 10 November 2020. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Relieve sore, achy feet with these podiatrist-approved recovery shoes". TODAY.com. 12 May 2023. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Functional podiatry- An interview with Doctor Emily Splichal". NK Active. 24 June 2022. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "What to Do About Bunions, Cracked Toenails + Other Unpleasant Foot Stuff | Rachael Ray Show". www.rachaelrayshow.com. 1 August 2017. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "The Optimal Body: 183 | Healing Bunions, Plantar Fasciitis and more with Functional Podiatrist, Dr. Emily on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- Mead, Rebecca (25 March 2013). "Foot Soldiers". The New Yorker. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- "Dr Emily Splichal: Optimizing Foot Function". Animal Flow. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- Johnson, Tiffany (23 June 2022). "Dr Emily Splichal". theunstoppablewoman.com. Retrieved 24 June 2023.
- Media, SMACK! (1 February 2022). "Naboso Disrupts the Footwear Recovery Category". Endurance Sportswire. Retrieved 24 June 2023.