David Brown (entrepreneur, born 1964)
|Born||1964 (age 58–59)|
|Children||Megan and Emily|
David Brown (born 1964) is a serial entrepreneur, investor, professor, and author. He is the co-founder of Techstars and other successful startups such as Pinpoint Technologies and iCentric corporation. He currently serves on the board of directors of Techstars and is a partner at Zintinus, a sustainability-focused Food Tech venture capital firm. He is best known for his skills in leading and helping startup companies in their inception and growth stages.
Brown is also a professor in entrepreneurship at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is also the author of a book entitled: No Vision All Drive.
Early life and education
Brown grew up in Montréal, Canada. He attended high school at Ecole Secondaire Pierre Laporte and attended Marianopolis College to pursue a degree in pure and applied science. Brown holds a degree in mathematics and computer science from McGill University in Montréal, Canada. During his time at McGill, Brown discovered startups and entrepreneurship and decided to make it his career.
In December 1993, Brown founded Pinpoint Technologies, which was sold to ZOLL Medical in 1999. The company specialized in building software for ambulance and fire departments.
In November 2006, Brown, along with Pinpoint co-founder David Cohen, co-founded Techstars. The company focuses on helping entrepreneurs. It runs multiple 3-month accelerator programs that bring together startups, mentors, and investors to launch new businesses in over 50 locations around the world. Since its inception, Techstars has invested in over 3,000 startups. Brown stepped down as CEO in January, 2021 and currently serves on the board of directors.
Brown is a partner at Zintinus, a venture capital firm that invests in companies that are transforming the food industry. Currently, Brown is also sharing his entrepreneurial knowledge and skills as an entrepreneurship professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder.
Apart from his entrepreneurial career, Brown has also authored a book titled: No Vision All Drive. The book was originally an autobiography of the learnings and experiences that Brown and Cohenhad from their first company Pinpoint Technologies, subsequently updated through the Techstars experience. The book has 3 editions, the self-published 1st edition, the FG Press 2nd edition, and the Techstars Press 3rd edition.
Brown currently resides in Boulder, Colorado, with his wife and two daughters. He is a certified ski instructor and enjoys skiing during his free time.
In the media
- "David Brown Bio". generalassemb.ly. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "David Brown - Founder & Board Member at Techstars". THE ORG. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "Interview with David Brown from Techstars". banuhantal. 19 June 2019. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "785-montreal-startupfest-2017". cfccreates.com. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "Entrepreneurs Unplugged: David Brown and David Cohen of Techstars | Silicon Flatirons". siliconflatirons. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "Techstars' David Brown says Canada's entrepreneurial advantage is openness to immigrants | BetaKit". betakit.com. 28 April 2017. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- Chowdhry, Amit (6 October 2019). "Techstars Founder David Brown: How To Deal With Different CEO Personalities". Pulse 2.0. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- Martin, Jeffrey James (1 May 2018). "Boulder, CO with David Brown of Techstars - Give First". Tech Scenes. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- Egusa, Conrad (3 November 2019). "Techstars CEO to speak at next week's Web Summit". Portugal Startups. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- Burch, Bobby (7 December 2016). "Led by a 'give first' ethos, Techstars becomes a B-Corp". Startland News. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "Western Union and Techstars to Drive Payments Innovation". www.businesswire.com. 17 September 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2022.
- "With over 1,300 startups graduated from its network, here are accelerator platform Techstars' four initiatives for India". YourStory.com. 16 March 2018. Retrieved 2 September 2022.