|Born||May 5, 1994|
Journalism and media
Masters in Film Production in Cinematography
|Alma mater||Taylor's University|
University of the West of England
Arts University Bournemouth
|Known for||Known for his recent films His Hands and Secret Child|
Darius Shu (born 5 May 1994) is a cinematographer from the United Kingdom. He is best known for his recent films His Hands and Secret Child.  n
A recipient of more than five Best Cinematography awards, Darius has had back to back award winning films over the recent years. Currently based and living in London, his directorial debut short film His Hands with Arron Blake was an official selection at Tribeca Film Festival 2019, for which the film was nominated for Best Narrative Short.
Darius took up painting from a young age, had passion for interior design, songwriting and subsequently enrolled in Taylor's University and University of the West of England, Bristol where he studied broadcasting, journalism and media for his degree after finishing high school. While studying his degree, Darius developed a passion for photography. He began to shoot his own films with friends and developed his interest for cinematography.
After university, Darius applied to pursue his Masters in Film Production in Cinematography at Arts University Bournemouth. Darius mentioned that his inspiration are Roger Deakins, Christopher Nolan and Denis Villeneuve<
After graduating his Bachelor's degree, Darius started shooting for luxury fashion magazines, music videos and documentaries. His love for filmmaking made Darius dive into cinematography. At the Bournemouth Film School, he had the opportunity to shoot Pardaa (2017) with director Kajri Babbar. The film became a Semi-Finalist at the 44th Student Academy Awards. It premiered at Aesthetica Film Festival in the United Kingdom. Later that year, Darius reunited with Kajri Babbar for her second television-film, ZEE5 Original, Khoj (2018) filming in both UK and India with actress Zara Khan. The film premiered at Cannes Film Festival and went on to stream on ZEE5, India's largest streaming channelCannes Film Festival|.
Darius was approached by producer Gordon Lewis to shoot his new film Secret Child in late 2017. The film is based of Gordon Lewis' bestselling book, Secret Child. It starred Fiona Glascott (Brooklyn, Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald), Austin Taylor (My Cousin Rachel) and Aaron McCusker (Bohemian Rhapsody). Secret Child tells the true story in the 1950s that deals with a young boy hidden away from the world in a home for unmarried mothers called Regina Coeli in Dublin.  The film was a breakthrough success for Darius as it won more than 20 international awards. It had its world premiere at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood at the HollyShorts Film Festival 2018 and receive a nomination for Best Period Piece. For its London premiere at the New Renaissance Film Festival 2018, the film won Best Debut Film. Producer Gordon Lewis is currently in talks to turn Secret Child into a television series. 
In 2018, Darius team up with Arron Blake and they both co-directed, wrote, and produced His Hands (2019), with Darius shooting the film as the cinematographer. This was their directorial debut and the first film they made together. His Hands had its world premiere at Tribeca Film Festival 2019 in New York. The film received nomination for Best Narrative Short. The film created a whole new experience as it was a silent psychological thriller, using only the power of visual storytelling and cinematography.  It tells the story of two men meeting for the most unusual confrontation of their lives as it touches themes such as sexuality, loneliness, identity and ageism.   The film was applauded as a cinematic masterpiece as it was made on a low budget of £400, with no dialogue delivery throughout the film and using only natural light during filming. 
He has also shot a commercial for Chanel and Coach in late 2019 where he was flown over to New York to film with seven celebrities from South East Asia. Darius attended Chanel's prestigious fashion show during Paris Fashion Week in France to shoot for Chanel with singer-songwriter Yuna.
In 2020, Darius reunited with director Yewweng Ho on a new dyslexia film, Mical (2020). It follows the true story of Pat and Mike Jones on the struggles and journey of being dyslexic.
Darius is currently working with Shiva Raichandani on his new drama musical British-Asian film Queer Parivaar.
Attitude magazine, reviewed His Hands (2019) calling, " the cinematography is beautiful, modern and stylish. His Hands is a powerful film that says a lot without “saying” anything at all." The Star praised Darius as, "a cinematographer who shoots to make things and people stand out." The Advocate magazine pointed out that, "the cinematography of His Hands offers an unnerving experience through dark, haunting images with no dialogue."
Mark Gatiss, the producer of Netflix-BBC television series Dracula and Sherlock reviewed His Hands as, "A beguilingly beautiful gem, Arron Blake and Darius Shu's His Hands defies easy analysis. Shot through with strange, homoerotic melancholy it's ravishing to look at and haunts the memory long after." 
Film Threat praised Darius' work as, "beautifully well shot, exuding a mysterious atmosphere in each frame" while Unsettled Magazine called His Hands, "a masterpiece built on suspense and appealing imagery." 
Darius made his first live television appearance in an interview with London Live after the success of Tribeca Film Festival. He has also appeared in an extensive newspaper coverage in the mainstream media in South East Asia and the UK. 
In the media
: : : :
|2017||White Balance: The Grape||Tashita Mukherji|
|2017||Narcissus Revisited||Caspar Muller|
|2018||Secret Child||Yewweng Ho|
|2018||Khoj||Kajri Babbar||TV movie|
|2019||His Hands||Arron Blake, Darius Shu|
|2020||Queer Parivaar||Shiva Raichandani|
Awards and nominations
|2017||Aesthetica Short Film Festival||Nahemi Short Film Award||Pardaa||Nominated|
|2017||Calcutta International Cult Film Festival||Best Short Film||Won|
|2017||Sydney Indie Film Festival||Best Drama||Won|
|2018||Hollyshorts Film Festival||Best Period Piece||Secret Child||Nominated|
|Alternative Film Festival||Best Period Piece||Nominated|
|2018||Los Angeles Independent Film Festival Awards||Best Cinematography||Nominated|
|2018||Best Drama Short||Won|
|New Renaissance Film Festival||Best Debut Film||Won|
|2018||Gold Movie Awards||Best Short Film||Won|
|2018||Festigious International Film Festival||Best Cinematography||Won|
|Best Narrative Short||Won|
|2018||European Cinematography Awards||Best Short Film||Won|
|2018||Bucharest ShortCut Cinefest||Best Cinematography||Won|
|2018||Kerry Film Festival||Best Short Film||Nominated|
|2018||Largo Film Awards||Best Cinematography||Won|
|2018||Oniros Film Awards||Best Cinematography||Nominated|
|2018||Sydney Indie Film Festival||Best Film||Nominated|
|2018||Cefalù Film Festival||Best Short Film||Bulletproof||Nominated|
|2018||Sarajevo Film Festival||Best Short Film|
|2018||Cannes Film Festival||Short Film Corner||Khoj||Nominated|
|2018||Gold Movie Awards||Best Cinematography||His Hands||Won|
|2019||Tribeca Film Festival||Best Narrative Short||Nominated|
|2019||Canada Shorts Film Festival||Award of Excellence||Won|
|2019||London International Motion Pictures Award||Best Narrative / Fiction UK Short Film||Nominated|
|2019||Queen Palm International Film Festival||Best Cinematography||Won|
|Best Short Film - Silent|
- "About | DARIUS SHU | Director of Photography". dariusshu 2.0. Retrieved 2020-02-24.
- Chalil, Melanie. "Malaysian co-directed, low-budget silent film makes debut in New York's Tribeca Film Festival | Malay Mail". www.malaymail.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Short film shot on £400 budget to get Tribeca premiere". QWEERIST. 2019-04-08. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Behind the Scenes: Struggling from Hardwork to Success; Darius Shu's Story". In Real Life. 2018-07-06. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Award winning AUB film Pardaa receives success at Film Festivals". Arts University Bournemouth. 2017-08-04. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Kajri Babbar's short film to release on Lohri". www.outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- Team, DNA Web (2019-01-12). "ZEE5 announces Kajri Babbar's award winning short film 'Khoj'". DNA India. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- ""Secret Child" - short film portrays pain of growing up in an Irish mother and babies home". IrishCentral.com. 2018-05-17. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Secret Child". www.goodreads.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Gordon Lewis | Official Website". Secret Child. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Official Selections 2018 —". www.hollyshorts.com. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Secret Child". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- Chalil, Melanie. "UK-based Malaysian cinematographer earning raves with film on secret Catholic hostel life | Malay Mail". www.malaymail.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "'I couldn't have published this memoir if my mother was alive - it was too painful for her' - Irish man raised in mother and baby home". independent. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Two Men Have a Psychosexual Encounter in New Short Film". www.advocate.com. 2019-04-26. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "'His Hands' review: 'An erotic and unsettling short film of striking power'". Attitude.co.uk. 2019-01-02. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Film with budget of £400 premiered at world leading film festival". London Live. 2019-05-16. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "DARIUS SHU on Instagram: "ACT II: THE STREET ⠀ @chanelofficial @thelaterals featuring @yuna. ⠀ #HANDBAGCHANEL19 ⠀ ⠀ Cinematography by Darius Shu⠀ Produced by…"". Instagram. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- Mical, retrieved 2020-02-21
- "TEAM". Queer Parivaar. Retrieved 2020-02-22.
- "Cinematographer Darius Shu shoots to make things and people stand out | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- Ng, Scott (2019-05-01). "This M'sian Director's Debut Film Only Cost RM2,000 But Was Selected For Robert De Niro's Film Festival! - WORLD OF BUZZ". www.worldofbuzz.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Malaysian Darius Shu's 'His Hands' goes to NY's Tribeca Film Fest | The Star Online". www.thestar.com.my. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "His Hands | Film Threat". 2019-04-27. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "Malaysian co-directed, low-budget silent film makes debut in New York's Tribeca Film Festival". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2020-02-21.
- "News | DARIUS SHU | Director of Photography". dariusshu 2.0. Retrieved 2020-02-21.