|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Organization||Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory|
Christopher Vakoc is a molecular biologist and a Professor at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
Vakoc graduated from Pennsylvania State University with a degree in Biochemistry in 2001. He then attained his M.D. and his Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania. His PhD research was performed with Gerd Blobel on the regulation of gene expression during hematopoiesis. In 2008, he established his own independent research group at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory.
Career and research
Vakoc uses CRISPR/Cas9 technology to probe the epigenetic regulation of cancer and to identify new cancer drug targets. In 2011, Vakoc discovered that the epigenetic protein BRD4 was particularly important for leukemia, leading to a series of clinical trials with a new drug, JQ1. By studying cancer epigenetics, Vakoc has also identified a new subtype of lung cancer and has discovered how gene expression changes affect metastasis in pancreatic cancer.
Awards and honors
- American Association for Cancer Research Outstanding Achievement Award, 2015
- Paul Marks Prize for Cancer Research, 2019
- "Christopher Vakoc, MD, PhD". Pershing Square Foundation. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- Ryan, Joe (2013-06-07). "Cold Spring Harbor Lab targeting cancer cells". Newsday. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "A Conversation with Christopher Vakoc". Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology. 81: 344–346. 2016-01-01. doi:10.1101/sqb.2016.81.031617. ISSN 0091-7451. PMID 28123048.
- Zuber, Johannes; Shi, Junwei; Wang, Eric; Rappaport, Amy R.; Herrmann, Harald; Sison, Edward A.; Magoon, Daniel; Qi, Jun; Blatt, Katharina; Wunderlich, Mark; Taylor, Meredith J. (October 2011). "RNAi screen identifies Brd4 as a therapeutic target in acute myeloid leukaemia". Nature. 478 (7370): 524–528. doi:10.1038/nature10334. ISSN 1476-4687.
- Ricks, Delthia (2015-04-18). "Cold Spring Harbor researchers test treatment that can halt acute myeloid leukemia". Newsday. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- Ricks, Delthia (2018-07-14). "Cold Spring Harbor scientists discover new form of lung cancer". Newsday. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- Kwon, Diana (2017-07-27). "Enhancers Drive Pancreatic Cancer Metastasis: Study". The Scientist. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- "LI scientists make key pancreatic cancer find". Newsday. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Rood, Jenny (2015-05-13). "Targeting Protein Domains with CRISPR". The Scientist. Retrieved 2020-05-01.
- Howley, Elaine K. (2018-09-12). "What's the likelihood that CRISPR will cure Cancer?". U.S. News & World Report.
- "AACR recognizes outstanding cancer research achievements of Dr. Christopher Vakoc". EurekAlert!. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Grisham, Julie (2019-11-08). "Three Scientists are Named Winners of the Paul Marks Prize for Cancer Research". Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
This article "Christopher Vakoc" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.