|Born||July 27, 1980|
|Organization||Rhyme Antics Inc.|
|Known for||Creator of Rhyme Antics -The Hilarious RHyming Vocabulary game|
Chantel Calloway (July 27 1980 ) is an American social entrepreneur from Boston MA ,best known as the creator of Rhyme Antics, a rhyming vocabulary game inspired by hip hop. She is regarded as a pioneer in uplifting the African-Americans and spearheading her entrepreneurial venture Rhyme Antics, which has become the 1st Black-owned game to be sold in big-box retailers Target and Walmart.
Calloway has over a decade’s experience as an entrepreneur with a specialization in research and product development concerning the US literacy crisis. She is also a firm advocate for literacy and is involved in multiple literacy-focused programs in the US.
Calloway has been featured in several media outlets including The Breakfast Club morning show ,Toy Coach, SwaysUniverse, Karen Hunter Show, Black Enterprise, Medium, Buzzfeed TMTV, NewsBreak, Women in Toys, Talent War Group, and others.
Early life and education
Calloway was born in Boston Massachussetts on July 27 1980 . In 1999, Calloway enrolled in Northeastern University, where she studied marketing and marketing management for three years. She was also a student at the Fashion Institute of Technology and holds a certificate from Baylor University in business administration.
In 2011, Calloway was arrested for robbing a bank in Metro Atlanta, which resulted in her hitting the rock bottom and deciding to pursue a better life for herself.
In 2014 Calloway moved to New York City after developing a game prototype based on her vast research on US literacy and Black-owned businesses. To launch her board game - Rhyme Antics, Calloway pitched her idea to Defy Ventures - a criminal background-friendly accelerator, in order to receive funding for her venture. Calloway enrolled in the firm’s two-year program during which she acquired entrepreneurship education and prepared to compete in high-level pitch competitions. During this time she also won over $20,000 to launch her business.
On November 1, 2015, Calloway launched Rhyme Antics through an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign after graduating from the program. By pre-selling more than 300 copies in under 30 days, the campaign surpassed its $10,000 goal. The results strengthened her resolve to make Rhyme Antics a success and to serve as an inspiration to others who have endured similar challenges.
Under the leadership of Calloway, Rhyme Antics scored a major win in 2019 in a pitch competition with Target that led to a product test in 500 stores. Rhyme Antics by Calloway has over 2,000 vocabulary words, including SAT words. As of 2021, Calloway has gained mass public recognition for her unique board game that is entertaining as well as supporters learning.
Winner NYC Pitch Competition, 2015 Accion “Outstanding Entrepreneurship” award, 2018
In the media
In the media
- "Entrepreneur Chantel Calloway Created Hip-hop Board Game "Rhyme Antics" to Promote Literacy". Black Enterprise. 26 February 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Never Before Talked About Black Entertainment History in Boston Starring Rhyme Antics". TheMUSEUM TV. 26 February 2021. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Chantel Calloway | Board Game Designer | BoardGameGeek". boardgamegeek.com. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Charge it to the Game". Medium. 6 February 2021. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- Racioppi, Fran (3 June 2021). "#012: Rhyme Antics - Founder & CEO Chantel Calloway". Talent War Group. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Chantel Calloway creates hip-hop game, Rhyme Antics, to boost literacy". Rolling Out. 9 August 2020. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "How a Game of Rapping is Creating a Huge Social Impact". Ascendus. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Can You Rhyme? (Chantel Calloway & Renee King Interview and Eddie Huang)". GetPodcast. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Getting To Know Black Women In Toys and Entertainment with Chantel Calloway". The Toy Coach. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Chantel Calloway's Rhyme Antics Game Is A Must Grab For The Holidays for Hip-Hop Lovers – Sway's Universe". Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Chantal Calloway's schedule for Boston GLOW Career and Empowerment Conference". bostonglowcareerandempowerm2018.sched.com. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "ogMeta.title". ogMeta.site_name. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "karenhuntershow". Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Chantel Calloway & Renee King On Funding Black Businesses, Crowdfunding, Rhyme Antics + More". Thisis50. 30 March 2021. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- newsbreak. "newsbreak". Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "Empowerment Day". Women in Toys. Retrieved 13 July 2021.