|Add a Photo|
Balazs Vedres is a Senior Research Fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute, part of the University of Oxford. He has held the post since January 2019.
He is a sociologist and network scientist whose work explores the intersections of network and data science, economic and organisational sociology, economic development, civil society and management. He has a strong interest in understanding how teams and organisations rely on open networks and diversity in innovation. Other research interests include social networks, online collaboration, teams and organisations as well as gender and technology. His work focuses on analysing questions about the sources of creativity, gender inequality and the historical sustainability of innovation systems in these industries. He has previously collaborated with technology industry expert Orsolya Vasarhelyi on joint research looking at the gender imbalance in the technology industry and the reasons why the imbalance exists, in their paper 'Women's disadvantage: because of who they are, or what they do?', published in journal EPJ Data Science. In his collaboration with Brian Uzzi, Northwestern University and Jarrett Spiro, Stanford University, Vedres examined the impact of effective leadership on diverse teams, in amongst Broadway musicians, in their joint paper, Collaboration and Creativity: The Small World Problem, referenced in Harvard Business Review..
Vedres is Director of the Social Data Science DPhil Program at the Oxford Internet Institute. His areas of interest from a supervisory perspective are; creative teams, social networks and success and diversity and discrimination.
He holds a PhD in Sociology from Columbia University (2004|, and a Master of Science in Sociology and Finance from the University of Budapest (1997). Prior to joining Oxford University, Vedres held the position of Associate Professor, Central European University (2019) Director of the Center for Network Science, Central European University (2018) and held an International Fellowship at the Santa Fe Institute (2006). He is also a Fellow of the European Academy of Sociology. Vedres also has commercial experience in the games industry, as co-founder of human resources firm CX-Ray and Co-Founder of human resources gamification company Gravitalent.
Vedres is a published author. His co-authored research with David Stark and Mathijs de Vaan, looking at social interactions and teams, in particular the creativity and diversity of teams in the video gaming industry, was published by the American Journal of Sociology. American Journal of Sociology. In addition, he has also collaborated with David Stark on research examining group structures and entrepreneurship, published by the American Journal of SociologyAmerican Journal of Sociology. Vedres's research looking at the mobilisation and politicization of regional developments programmes in Eastern Europe co-authored with Laszlo Bruszt, Central European University, has been published in in leading academic journal Theory and Society. His work on social networks in relation to the jazz musicians was published in the journal Applied Network Science.
In the media
- "Gendered behavior as a disadvantage in open source software development". EPJ Data Science.
- "Great Leaders Can Think Like Each Member of Their Team". Harvard Business Review.
- "Oxford Internet Institute".
- "EAS - European Academy of Sociology". EAS.
- "de Vann, M., Stark, D. and Vedres, B 2015, "Game changer: The Topology of Creativity"". American Journal of Sociology.
- "Structural Folds: Generative Disruption in Overlapping Groups 1". American Journal of Sociology.
- "Bruszt, L and Vedres, B (2013) "Associating, mobilising, politicizing: local developmental agency from without"". Theory and Society.
- Vedres, B. (2017). "Vedres, B. (2017) "Forbidden triads and creative success in jazz: the Miles Davis factor"". Applied Network Science. 2 (1): 31. doi:10.1007/s41109-017-0051-2. PMC 6214249. PMID 30443585.
- Balazs Vedres - Personal pages of the CEU
- Balazs Vedres (On leave 2019/20) | CEU People
- OII | Dr Balazs Vedres — Oxford Internet Institute
- Balazs Vedres - Google Scholar Citations
- Balazs Vedres on twitter
- Balazs Vedres on linkedin
- European Academy of Sociology ~ Prof. Dr. Balazs Vedres
- Balazs VEDRES | Doctor of Philosophy | Central European
- Orsolya Vasarhelyi & Balazs Vedres, Author at SpringerOpen
- Balazs Vedres youtube channel
This article "Balazs Vedres" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.