The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Years active||2005 - Present|
Assem Kroma is a Canadian filmmaker, multi-platform storyteller, actor, digital media and cinema researcher and educator. He began his creative career as a theatre and film actor . He won best actor awards for his roles in “Paradise Falls” and “Tooth of Hope”. He then won five awards as a filmmaker for his short documentary “T for Tango” in addition to several other nominations for other film work . As a filmmaker, he is best known for his short films "T for Tango", “The Infidel” and "Buried Love" which were screened at several international film festivals  . As an actor, he is known for the short films, “Paradise Falls” which was screened at Abu Dhabi Film Festival in 2012 , “Tooth of Hope”  which was screened in several film festivals globally , and "The Man Who Met The Angel", which premiered in Dubai International Film Festival .
Assem was born to a mom, who is an accomplished artist (painter), and a dad, who was an architect; he spent the majority of his childhood in UAE . He started his involvement in performance arts at a very young age starting by acting on stage, then TV shows and radio broadcasts. Gradually, he got involved in many forms of performance arts including dancing, singing, experimental theatre, and standup comedy and improvisation .
Education and research work
Assem studied Advanced Filmmaking at Fanshawe College, then went to study for a Master's in Digital Media at Ryerson University  followed by a Master of Arts in Media Production . He is currently studying for a PhD in Information Technology (Digital Media) at Carleton University .
His Areas of research work are future cinema, interactive storytelling, virtual reality, augmented reality, mixed reality and human-computer interaction . He believes that new filmmakers should be technically and theoretically skilled to keep up with the new media development and keep sharing their art with the public . He has been interviewed by several media outlets to discuss cinema and digital media related matters . In 2017, he was the co-director of the First Take Film Festival .
Filmography (partial list)
|2021||Silence||Filmmaker||David Jeffrey, Nyiri Karakas||Short Narrative Film (Post Production)|
|2021||Mimes' Gossips||Filmmaker||Nyiri Karakas, James Wybrow||Short Narrative Film (Post Production)|
|2019||A Dad's Letter||Filmmaker||Assem Kroma||Short Film - Cinematic Poetic Autobiography|
|2019||A Reflection in My Heart||Filmmaker||Assem Kroma||Short Film - Cinematic Poetic Autobiography|
|2017||The Delivery||Filmmaker||David Jeffrey, Amber Sellars, Leah Gliddon, Emily Ross, Kevin Pegg||Short Narrative Film|
|2017||The Infidel||Filmmaker||David Jeffrey, Amber Sellars, Nyiri Karakas||Short Narrative Film|
|2017||Nightmares||Filmmaker||Danny Czyz||VR (Virtual Reality) Film|
|2017||Buried Love||Filmmaker||Nyiri Karakas, David Jeffrey, James Wybrow||Short Surrealist Film - Experimental|
|2017||Transition||Filmmaker||N/A||Short Film - Experimental on 16mm photochemical film|
|2017||T for Tango||Filmmaker||Ross Todorovic and Milena Todorovic||Short Documentary Film|
|2015||The Man Who Met the Angel||Actor||Assem Kroma, Philip Rachid||Short Film|
|2013||Above and Below||Actor||Assem Kroma, Dana Dajani||Short Film|
|2013||About Anticipation||Actor||Assem Kroma||Short Film|
|2012||The Feeder||Actor||Assem Kroma||Short Film|
|2012||Tooth of Hope||Actor||Assem Kroma, Dana Dajani||Short Film|
|2011||Paradise Falls||Actor||Assem Kroma, May Calamawy, JW Halloway||Short Film|
- "Short+Sweet festival comes to Dubai". The National. 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Feel Your Tempo: Coffee and Showreel". Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "Short+Sweet set to take Dubai by storm!". www.godubai.com. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Awards: Assem Kroma". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "Pomegranate Film Festival Toronto: Burried Love Screening". Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "New Wave Film Festival: Burried Love Screening". Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "Burried Love Release Dates". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "The Infidel". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "T for Tango Release Dates". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-12-18.
- "Abu Dhabi Film Commession: Behind the Scenes of Tooth of Hope". Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "Tooth of Hope". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "Gulf News - DIFF 2015: Emirati films not to miss this year". Retrieved 2020-12-19.
- "New York Film Academy Blog: NYFA Seeds in Abu Dhabi Blossom at Dubai International Film Festival". Retrieved 2020-12-19.
- "Assem Kroma Biography". IMDb. Retrieved 2020-12-21.
- "Episode 12 - The Awesome Journey of Assem Kroma". Into The Spotlight Podcast by Morley Kert and Ryan O'Connor. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "Assem Kroma Bio". Master of Digital Media. Ryerson University. Retrieved 31 March 2020.
- "Synlab - Synthatic Media Lab: People". Synlab - Synthatic Media Lab. Ryerson University. Retrieved 15 February 2020.
- "Research Lab - Current Students". Robert J. Teather, Assistant Professor - School of Information Technology. Carleton University. Retrieved 20 January 2021.
- "Empathic Computing". RUBIX 2019 Conference. Retrieved 2021-01-21.
- "DMTV - Cinematters :10 out of 10 for Michael Moore". DM TV Channel. 2012.
- "Assem Kroma - Publicity". IMDb. Retrieved 2021-01-20.
- "Check out the First Take Film Festival - Tuesday, April 04, 2017". Rogers TV / TV Rogers. Retrieved 2021-01-21.