|Born||June 28, 1950|
|Died||August 30, 2020(aged 70)|
|Years active||1974 - Present|
Anand Kumar (born 28 June 1950) was an Indian business executive. Kumar was an Oil and Gas industry leader with experience in refinery turnaround, change management, innovation management, and technology research and development. He was an accomplished academic consultant, keynote speaker, and panelist on several forums and conferences.
Early life and education
Kumar pursued his high school education from Netarhat Vidyalaya, a residential school near Ranchi, Jharkhand. He completed his college from Birsa Institute of Technology Sindri, where he pursued chemical engineering.
Kumar commenced his professional career in 1974 when he joined the IndianOil corporation. He was an integral member of IndianOil for over 36 years, where he worked in various oil refineries in India and abroad. Kumar was responsible for the modernization, revamps, and setting up refineries and related facilities and plants. As the Project Manager (Process), he was responsible for setting up one of the largest IndianOil refineries at Panipat in India. Kumar was in the Management Team for commissioning of a grassroot refinery of NNPC at Port Harcourt in Nigeria, where he trained the local engineers as Advisor (Planning & economics).
Kumar was also a founding member and Joint Director of Center for High Technology under the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas. Kumar was responsible for identifying appropriate oil refining technologies for overcoming obsolesces and sponsoring and financing R&D in the downstream oil industry.
While defending and building the image of Mathura Refinery in the background of pollution monitoring in the Taj Trapezium by Supreme Court, he gave Mathura Refinery its tagline and identity as “Green Refinery Clean Refinery”. Later he gave the tagline “In Harmony with Nature” to Barauni Refinery, identifying its Core Values. Thanks to the untiring initiative of Mr. Anand Kumar, starting 1994, the Barauni refinery had experienced a total turnaround in its plants, processes, people, and work culture. The Coker A Unit of the refinery was revamped and commissioned in the 2000 incorporating India’s first Coker furnace with online spalling. It was a call given by Mr. Anand Kumar, to turn the Coker into a plant cleaner than FCC or Hydrogen Unit. Due to Mr. Kumar’s efforts, the work culture at Barauni Refinery was deemed as the benchmark of Total Productive Maintenance for Indian refineries by Confederation of Indian Industry.
Kumar transformed the IndianOil-R&D into India’s top research institution in the Downstream petroleum industry and was responsible for launching research activities in futuristic areas and polymer science and technology. He was also responsible for the marketing and commercialization of IndianOil technologies, which are operating very successfully and profitably.He provided a lasting identity to the IndianOil R&D Centre through its tagline “The Power of Possibilities”, together with its logo. He also transformed the IndianOil Institute of Petroleum Management as one of the best Indian corporate Centers of Excellence in Leadership Development. His creative mind also coined the tagline “Nurturing Leadership” for IndianOil Institute of Petroleum (IiPM) along with its logo
Having such vast experience in the Indian oil and gas industry, he introduced several initiatives for bringing Academia closer to the industry by starting Summer School for the Faculty of Chemical Engineering (in Refining & petrochemicals) and Mechanical Engineering ( in Tribology). He also launched R&D Conclave with the participation of Academia and industry R&D scientists and Petrotech Student Chapters along with launching strategic research initiatives at academic institutions in the association of industry.
Kumar also served as a Director at Central Coalfield ltd for three years and then joined Petrotech in 2010. He served on the academic Advisory Board, Academic Evaluation Committees, and was also an Industry Member at the AICTE Accreditation Council for Technical and Management Institutes in India.
He was also a member of the Research Advisory Committee of the Indian Institute of Petroleum which is a premier CSIR lab dedicated to R&D in the downstream oil industry. He was an adviser at the ONGC Energy Research Centre Delhi, Shriram Institute of Industrial Research, Delhi, and Adjunct Professor (Chemical) at IIT ISM Dhanbad.
Affiliations and positions
- Adjunct Professor, ISM Dhanbad,
- Advisor, Research Advisory Committee, ONGC Energy Center
- Member, RAC, Shriram Industrial Research Institute, Delhi
- Chairman NABCB (of QCI)Technical Committee for Petroleum & natural Gas Sector
- Member, Hydrocarbon Committee of FICCI
- Member Higher Education Committee, CII
- Member, CII Energy & Corrosion Education Committee
- Member National Advisory Committee NACE (India) CORCON
- Member Organising committee PTQ –IDS Indian Refining Conference
- Chairman International conference on Process Safety
- Chairman, International Conference on Refining & Petrochemicals
- Chairman, IndianOil Technologies Ltd
- Director (R&D) Indian Oil Corporation Ltd
- Director, Petrotech
- Independent (Ind) Director, Central Coalfield Ltd (CCL)
- Ind. Director Lubrizol (India) and
- Ind. Director, Solar Industries (India) Ltd
- Executive Director, IiPM
- Member Research Advisory Committee of IIP, Dehradun
- Member Apex RAC, IndianOil-R&D
- Member Research Advisory Committee (RAC) HPCL
- Member , Oil Industry Development Board
- Member, AICTE Accreditation Committee (Technical & Business Schools)
- Member, UPSC Academic Council
- Member, SIBT, Governing Council
- Vice Chairman, Bihar Productivity Council, Patna
In the media
- "Anand Kumar ceases as director of Indian Oil Corporation". NDTV.com. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "ntpc". Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "tribologyindia" (PDF). Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "Welcome to IOPEX". www.iopex.org. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "श्रद्धांजलि: बरौनी रिफाइनरी के पूर्व जीएम आनंद कुमार नहीं रहे, श्रद्धांजलि". Dainik Bhaskar (in हिन्दी). 1 September 2020. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "Indian Oil Corporation Ltd appoints new directors - Oneindia News". www.oneindia.com. 1 August 2007. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "List of Members". www.nlgi-india.org. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "ONGC - Expert Advisory Committee". www.ongcindia.com. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "Centre for asphalt sceince at IIT-M". The Economic Times. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "FIPI - Federation of Indian Petroleum Industry | www.fipi.org.in". www.fipi.org.in. Retrieved 10 November 2020.
- "PETROTECH JOURNAL". Issuu. Retrieved 10 November 2020.