Alewya Demmisse is a British singer/songwriter, producer, model and multidisciplinary artist from Egyptian and Ethiopia descent.
Alewya Demmisse was born in 1995 in Saudi Arabia. Her name (ah -le- wee- ya) means "the highest" in Ethiopian. Demmisse was raised in Sudan before moving to London. She is Kesewa Aboah's cousin and was discovered for modeling by Cara Delevingne on the set of the film Kids in Love (film) she was dancing in. At the time, she was working two jobs, as a waitress and as a marketing assistant. Demmisse was introduced and presented as "new model obsession" by Vogue (magazine) in September 2014 and at that time her agencies were Women in New York and Storm in London. In her interview for the Vogue's article she claimed that she had a place at King's College London in London to study Mathematics and philosophy confessing her love for math.
Demmisse released her debut single “Sweating” on the middle of 2020. The song was produced by UK & Ghana-based production duo Busy Twist and mixed and mastered by Shy FX. The video accompanying the song includes some of her visual art and was directed by Jack Bowden. It hit 1 million views in less than three months after its release. She also made a guest appearance in Little Simz’s 2020 track ‘Where’s My Lighter’. The British entertainment website NME included Demmisse in its fifth edition of the NME 100: Essential emerging artists for 2021 selection, published in the first days of 2021
Her second single, Code, came out on March 17 from Because London Records. It is a collaborative record with the British award winning drummer, producer and composer Moses Boyd who also stars in the song's live performance video.
"I knew we would have great musical chemistry and it's been refreshing to work with someone as open, brave and inquisitive as Alewya. I know she has so much more great music to come." Boyd sayd of the collaboration.
- Satenstein, Liana (September 16, 2014). "Alewya Demmisse, Discovered by Cara Delevingne, Is Our New Model Obsession". Vogue. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- Warner, Solly (December 11, 2020). "Co-signed by Tiffany Calver 2021: Alewya". Notion. Retrieved March 21, 2021.
- "Alewya - Sweating (Official Video)". YouTube. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
- "The NME 100: Essential emerging artists for 2021". NME. January 4, 2021. Retrieved March 21, 2021.
- Kenneally, Cerys (March 17, 2021). "Alewya and Moses Boyd connect on new anthem "The Code"". The Line of Best Fit. Retrieved March 22, 2021.
This article "Alewya Demmisse" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.