The topic of this article may not meet Wikitia's general notability guideline. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Add a Photo|
|Born||February 7, 1956|
|Alma mater||Paris VII University|
Alain Bony (born 7th February 1956 in Paris, France) is a French artist specially dedicated to conceptual interventions on architectural projects. He has collaborated over years in numerous projects alongside renowned architects throughout the world.
Life and career
Early life and education
He studied History at Paris VII University and following the advice of Yannis Tsarouchis, he chose to dedicate himself to painting, attending later a school of decorative painting in Brussels. In the early 80s he began his longtime collaboration with architect Jean Nouvel, developing artistic interventions in a great number of his projects. In 1984, he founded Studio Bastille with Christian Bony, a company of painted canvas in Paris.
Alain Bony prefers working with unstable colours and avoiding disconnected flat colours, as he thinks “Colour must be one with the building; working directly on the building’s surface or the intended building material is the only way; it implies a different contemplation that allows one to avoid an isolated or decorative intervention”. 
Working alongside architects
He has developed artistic interventions in numerous architectural projects like the Torre Glòries   and the Quai Branly Museum  of Jean Nouvel; or the National Centre for the Performing Arts (China) in Pekin and the Oriental Art Center in Shanghai of Paul Andreu, among others. He has also collaborated with various artists like Isabelle Clerte and especially Henri Labiole, with whom he has worked as consultant and creator of colorful spaces like the case of the Sofitel Hotel Vienna Stephansdom, where the two artists intervened the rooms.
Approach to materials, color and light
His means of expression and production include references to contemporary art and cinematography; historical, cultural and environmental context of the place; combinations of colors; natural and/or artificial light; texture, brilliance, reflection and transparency; and others such as sound and landscape effects for staging and creating the ambiance of a specific building or area.  
Selected works and projects
Alain Bony has designed a number of artistic interventions in notable architectural projects, the most significant are listed below:
List of notable works
- 1996 – Renovation of Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille, Lille, France | Architect: Jean-Marc Ibos et Myrto Vitart
- 2000 – Culture and Convention Center, Luzern, Switzerland | Architect: Jean Nouvel  
- 2004 – Torre Glòries (Office), Barcelona, Spain | Architect: Jean Nouvel  
- 2006 – Quai Branly Museum, Paris, France | Architect: Jean Nouvel
- 2007 – National Centre for the Performing Arts (China), Pékin, China | Architect: Paul Andreu
- 2009 – Copenhagen Concert Hall, Copenhagen, Denmark | Architect: Jean Nouvel    
- 2010 – Sofitel Hotel Vienna Stephansdom, Vienna, Austria | Architect: Jean Nouvel    
- 2013 – Jinan Grand Theater, Jinan, China, Paul Andreu
- Porter, Tom, Mikellides, Byron, Colour for Architecture Today, Taylor & Francis Ltd.,London, United Kingdom, 2009
- "Colour for Architecture Today Book".
- Mattie, Erik, The Colours of ...: Frank O. Gehry, Jean Nouvel, Wang Shu and other architects, Birkhäuser Architecture, Basel, Switzerland, 2015
- The Colours of ...: Frank O. Gehry, Jean Nouvel, Wang Shu and other architects Book
- "Jean Nouvel: Quai Branly Museum".
- "Fashion Office Magazine: Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom".
- "Le Moniteur: Alain Bony Lab".
- Serra Lluch, Juan, Color for Architects (Architecture Brief), Chronicle Books, New York, United States, 2019
- "Color for Architects Book".
- "Immersion in the Visual Arts and Media, Studies in Intermediality, Volume: 9: Culture and Convention Center of Luzern".
- "Jean Nouvel: Culture and Convention Center of Luzern".
- "Le Moniteur: Culture and Convention Center of Luzern".
- Magazine: Arquitectos del Poder
- Barcelona Solutions: Agbar Tower
- Architectuul: Agbar Tower
- "Revista El Croquis 183: Jean Nouvel - Copenhagen Concert Hall (Page 285)" (PDF).
- "Copenhagen Concert Hall project description". Danmarks Radio website. Archived from the original on April 13, 2010. Retrieved 17 January 2009.
- "Architectural Record: Copenhagen Concert Hall".
- "Jean Nouvel: Copenhagen Concert Hall".
- "Travel with Frank Gehry site: Copenhagen Concert Hall".
- "Jean Nouvel: Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom".
- "Noticias de Arquitectura: Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom".
- "Contract Design Network: Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom".
- "Architectural Record: Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom".
- "Artlink 1 Flyer at Sofitel Vienna Stephansdom" (PDF).
- "Designboom: Jinan Grand Theater".