|Born||November 25, 1976|
Zoltan Tóth (born on 25 November 1976 in Timisoara) is a Romanian musician, entrepreneur, environmental activist, creator of radio programs and percussion teacher.
He gained notoriety as a member of System, a group of five professional percussionists who used plastic and metal barrels as their instruments. Together with Luminita Anghel, they won third place in the Eurovision Song Contest 2005, with their song Let Me Try, the best result in Romania’s Eurovision history.  
Following up on his extensive career as a percussionist, in recent years he also developed as a composer and took on the challenge of a solo career with his signature one-man show HOME ALONE.   Rolling Stone magazine remarked upon his original blend of electronic music and live percussion.  Gigwise considers Tóth among the seven rising artists from Romania that you need in your life. In their words, he is “a one man orchestra with vibraphone, analog synths, digital synths, and acoustic drums”. 
As an ecologist, he supported multiple NGOs - Greenpeace Romania, WWF Romania, Let’s Do It, Romania!, MaiMultVerde, and Recolamp, among others - raising awareness about their environmentally conscious projects.  His radio-show Ecofrecventa celebrates 10 years of existence in 2020. 
He is married, has two daughters and lives in Bucharest, Romania. 
Early life and the beginnings in music
Zoltan Tóth was born in a family of musicians. His mother, Flora, is a piano teacher and chorus conductor , while his father, Alexandru, was a choir singer at the Banatul Philharmonic of Timisoara and a clarinet teacher at the local Music High-school. His brother, Tibor Tóth, is the principal double bass of the Macao Orchestra. 
Between 1991-1995, Tóth studied percussion at the Ion Vidu Music High-School in Timisoara.  He continued his musical studies at the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy in Cluj-Napoca and graduated summa cum laude in 2000.  During his years at the Music Academy, he worked for the Cluj-Napoca Hungarian Opera and collaborated with the Transylvania State Philharmonic Orchestra.  He taught percussion and chamber music at the Sigismund Toduta Music High-School in Cluj-Napoca from 2000 until 2002 and, together with his pupils, won twice the first prize at the Romanian Music Olympiads. 
After a few changes of style and formula, in 2000, Sistem was born - a band of five professional percussionists playing on metal and plastic barrels and other unconventional musical instruments. Besides Tóth, SISTEM included Robert Magheti, Claudiu Purcarin, Ciprian Rogojan and Florin Romașcu. They released four albums and eleven of their singles became number one hits in Romania.  Sistem performed all over Romania as well as abroad and, in 2005, together with Luminita Anghel, won the third place at the Eurovision Song Contest with their song Let Me Try.   They collaborated with many Romanian artists, including: Alexandra Ungureanu, Simona Nae, Andrei Japhet, Stela Anita, Lucia Dumitrescu, Natalia Barbu, Miki, Andra, Loredana Groza, Grigore Lese and Deepcentral.     
Key concerts with Sistem
- European Karate Championship – Cluj-Napoca, Romania (2000) 
- International Percussion Festival – Debrecen, Hungary (2000) 
- Vengaboys & Friends Concert – Bucharest, Romania (2001) 
- Hagi Gala – Bucharest, Romania (2001) 
- Chișinău Music Festival – Republic of Moldova (2001) 
- Sighișoara International Festival – Romania (2001) 
- Bucharest Music Festival – Romania (2001, 2002) 
- Mamaia Music Festival – Romania (2002) 
- Callatis Music Festival – Romania (2001, 2002) 
- Golden Stag Festival – Brasov, Romania (2001, 2002, 2004, 2009)   
- Europe Day – Stockholm, Sweden (2004) 
- Eurovision semifinals (1st place) – Kiev, Ucraine (2005) 
- Eurovision finals (3rd place) feat. Luminița Anghel – Kiev, Ucraine (2005) 
- Opening for Depeche Mode – Bucharest, Romania (2006) 
- Concert “Romania Welcome in EU” – Brussels, Belgium (2006) 
- New Year’s Concert – Berlin, Germany (2006) 
- International Exhibition “Water and sustainable development” – Zaragoza, Spain (2008)
- “Romania, a land to discover” tour – Italy (2008)
- “Europe on Water” – Istanbul, Turkey (2010)
- Nikki Beach, White Grand Opening Party – Marbella, Spain (2010)
- Balkan Beach Party – Liepaja, Latvia (2010)
- Ascension Festival – Santiago de Compostela, Spain (2011)
- “Pro Istoria Fest” tour, Romania (2011-2012)
Zoli Toth Project
Zoli Toth Project is the artistic venture Tóth initiated in 2014. With a unique formula of four instrumentalists (two percussionists on marimba and vibraphone, a violinist and a cello player), Tóth produced the show Bach in Showbiz, based on Adrian Enescu’s music; 12 variations on themes by J. S. Bach - a blend of Pop, Rock and Electro, suited for the modern times. Over 30 performances in less than 6 months made this show a success since its inception.   The project further evolved in 2015 into The Bach Files, a theatre show that had its preview during the George Enescu Festival, with live music performance by Zoli Toth Project. The show was directed by Alexandru Darie, with scenography signed by Octavian Neculai. 
In August 2015, Tóth produced one of the most complex fusion concerts in Romania. With 21 instrumentalists, custom-made video projections and special pyrotechnic effects, it gathered over 5,000 spectators, a first in Romania for this musical genre.
During the recital at the Eurovision Romania finals from 2016, Tóth launched Cocoon, a new project wherein he reinvents himself in the capacity of music composer.  He composed the new repertoire in collaboration with George Calin from Deepcentral. The songs carry a fresh and original sound, sometimes with influences from Romanian traditional music, as in Furtuna (the Storm) with vocals by Grigore Lese.
Sensations (2017) was a premium show, combining the industrial sound produced by energetic hitting of anvils, stainless steel tubs and metal barrels, with the warm sound from the accompaniment of the symphony orchestra, and with the modern sound from electronic synthesizers. The stage movement, the special effects with water, fire or CO2, the lighting design, and the video projections were all important ingredients of this show.
Key concerts with Zoli Toth Project
- Bach in Showbiz Romanian tour (2014) 
- Bach in Showbiz – Chisinau (2015) 
- Bach in Showbiz – Gdansk (2015) 
- George Enescu Festival – Bucharest (2015) 
- The Bach Files – Bulandra Theatre, Bucharest (2015-2016)  
- Bucharest Music Film Festival (2016) 
- Spotlight Festival – Bucharest (2016)  
- Romanian Eurovision Gala – Baia Mare (2016) 
- Visual Art Fest – Bucharest (2017) 
- Dilema Veche Festival – Alba Iulia (2017) 
- Titanum for Romania’s National Day – Bucharest (2017) 
- "Hit Revelion" New Year’s Concert – Bucharest (2018) 
Zoli Toth – Home Alone (2018 – present)
For the first time in Romania, Tóth took on the challenge of creating a musical one-man show wherein he interprets his own original compositions combining an electronic soundscape from analogue and digital synths with live percussion on vibraphone and drums as well as unconventional instruments, such as a metal barrel and various kitchen pans. Tóth's extensive experience as a musician transpires in the harmonies inspired from classical music, in the industrial and electro sound mix, in the narrative melodic lines, and in the diverse rhythm of the songs, all contributing to an avant-garde musical performance HOME ALONE - YouTube.  Gigwise appreciates how Zoli’s music weaves industrial elements with majestic dream-like sounds.  The Home Alone musical show is complemented with Alin Popa’s custom lighting design. 
Home Alone concerts
- The Cultural Season France – Romania, Paris (2018) 
- Musical Timisoara International Festival (2019) 
- Mastering the Music Business showcase – Bucharest (2019) 
- DAKINI Festival – Tuzla, Romania (2019) 
- SINAIA Forever (2019) 
The Percussion Ensemble Young Beats – Cantus Mundi
Since 2018, Tóth coordinates the percussion ensembles of the Cantus Mundi program.  Under his leadership, the most talented children from the program joined forces as part of the Young Beats select group and gave several concerts, most notably in 2019 at the Golden Stag Festival and the Romanian Athenaeum  , and in 2020 at the Brasov Philharmonic.
In 1996, Tóth joined the Percussion Ensemble of the Gheorghe Dima Music Academy in Cluj-Napoca, directed at the time by Prof Dr Grigore Pop. Until 2001, he toured with them across Romania as well as abroad and recorded several pieces by Romanian and foreign composers. During this period, he also collaborated with the Transylvania State Philharmonic Orchestra and other Romanian Philharmonics and gave recitals as an instrumental soloist, performing well-known pieces as well as first auditions of contemporary works by composers from Cluj, such as Ede Terenyi and Peter Szego. 
In 2010, the composer Adrian Enescu dedicated to him the Domino concerto for percussion solo and orchestra. For this piece, Tóth performed on 3 bongos, 3 tom-toms, big drum and vibraphone as a percussion soloist with the National Radio Orchestra of Romania and Banatul Philharmonic of Timisoara, under the lead of reputable conductors such as maestro Horia Andreescu and Radu Popa.    His most important classical appearances were at the George Enescu Festival - in 2011 with Domino  , in 2013 with the concert Classic and Smart , and in 2015 with The Bach Files.
Ecological and Humanitarian Activism
The first "green" cause that caught Tóth’s attention was in 2007 when he became an active supporter of the ban on cyanide in Romanian mining, together with the coalition “Romania without Cyanides” that also included Greenpeace Romania.  He then continued to be an advocate for environmental protection as an Ambassador Earth Hour with WWF Romania.  He was Eco Ambassador for the MaiMultVerde Association and for ‘Let’s Do It, Romania!’, and collaborated with the Recolamp Association in their recycling campaigns.   In 2020, he was a speaker at the TEDx Climate Action Project that took place in Oradea, Romania.
Tóth is partner in Star Management, one of the first event and artist management companies in Romania. Among their projects was the Battle of Songs (the first independent contest of music composition in Romania), ImpresarOnline.ro (the first website for online artist booking in Romania), Star PR (PR for concerts with foreign artists), On Air Music Awards and Showbiz Academy.    
- ‘Man of the Year’ award by Men's Health magazine (2017)
- Ambassador of the Bucharest Marathon (2017) 
- Ambassador of Volunteering in Romania (2011) 
- Ambassador Let’s Do It, Romania! (2010, 2011) 
- Ambassador Earth Hour in Romania (2009, 2010, 2011) 
- “Tine-o toth asa” award for supporting and initiating numerous environmental campaigns in Romania at the Environmental Awards ceremony (June 5/ International Environment Day - 2009) 
- ‘Artist of the Year’ with SISTEM – Radio Romania Actualitati Music Awards (2005) 
- Special Prize with SISTEM at the VIP Gala (2005) 
- 3rd Prize at the Eurovision contest with SISTEM and Luminița Anghel (2005) 
- Golden Record for the album Intră’n Sistem (2002) 
- 2nd Prize at the National Competition of Solo Percussion (Bucharest, 1998) 
- 2nd Prize at the Romanian Music Olympiad (Baia Mare, 1995) 
- 1st Prize at the Romanian Music Olympiad (Constanta, 1994) 
- "Eurovision 2005 Results: Voting & Points". Eurovisionworld.
- Varga, Zoltan. "Zoli Toth revine în Timişoara în calitate de interpret şi compozitor, cu spectacolul „Patimile Estului"".
- "ZOLI TOTH – HOME ALONE".
- "Sado Opera Live in Bukarest: Ein Leuchten im Südosten". Rolling Stone. March 27, 2019.
- "7 rising artists from Romania that you need in your life | Gigwise". www.gigwise.com.
- "Zoli Toth (environmental activist), confirmed speaker at BR's Environmental and Sustainability Summit". June 27, 2018.
- "Ecofrecventa, emisiunea ta favorita la National FM". National FM.
- "Acasă la Ioana & Zoli Toth: „Căminul nostru are o karma extraordinară!"". OK Magazine.
- "Corul "Carmina Dacica" | ANCR - Asociaţia Naţională Corală din România". www.ancorom.ro.
- "Tibor Tóth – Macao Orchestra".
- Varga, Zoltan. "POVESTEA lui Zoli Toth: „ Adevărații timișoreni sunt cu toții ecologiști și cu bun simț"".
- "Zoli Toth a creat... Sistem Junior. "Antrenor" pentru Ansamblul de percuție, format din 50 de copii care bat la tobe". Libertatea. December 29, 2018.
- "SISTEM". romanianstars.tripod.com.
- "Moment unic în cariera sa de muzician! Zoli Toth a cântat cu 250 de copii". Libertatea. June 2, 2018.
- "„Poţi să cânţi Mozart la butoi?" - Zoli Toth, la „Politică şi delicateţuri" | VIDEO". TVR.RO.
- "Sistem | Vocea Romaniei". vocea romaniei.protv.ro.
- "Sistem". Discogs.
- "EXCLUSIV | Zoli s-a băgat într-un alt SISTEM. Pregătește un album inedit cu Grigore Leșe!". Libertatea. September 18, 2017.
- de, Scris (February 10, 2010). "Remember: Sistem & Luminita Anghel - Let Me Try (Eurovision 2005)".
- "Sistem, o formatie de maestri". GAZETA de SUD. 18 June 2006.
- "Sistem - O Nouă Zi". Discogs.
- "Sistem - SisTeMpo". Discogs.
- "Sistem - Best Of". Discogs.
- "Deepcentral - O Stea". Discogs.
- "Romania". esckaz.com.
- "Recitaluri Cerbul de aur 2019". cerbuldeaur.ro.
- "History Golden Stag 2019". cerbuldeaur.ro.
- "Eurovision 2005 Semi-final Results". Eurovisionworld.
- "Sistem si Grigore Lese au deschis concertul Depeche Mode - Cultura - Numarul 725 - Anul 2006 - Arhiva - Formula AS". arhiva.formula-as.ro.
- "Trupa Sistem a decis să ia o pauză "pe termen nelimitat", după 12 ani de carieră. Care este motivul şi când va fi ultimul concert". Mediafax.ro.
- "Trupa Sistem concertează la Istanbul, în cadrul Festivalului "Europe on water"". www.icr.ro.
- "Concert susţinut de trupa Sistem la Santiago de Compostela". www.icr.ro.
- "Zoli Toth (Sistem) promovează istoria şi cultura prin festivalurile Pro Istoria Fest". ApropoTV.ro.
- "BACH in ShowBiz". RFI România: Actualitate, informaţii, ştiri în direct. April 28, 2014.
- "Mediafax Comunicate – Cel mai eficient site de comunicate de presa". www.comunicate.mediafax.biz.
- www.phpcoder.ro, PHP Coder- (August 4, 2015). "Zoli TOTH comparat cu Jean Michael Jarre". Let's Rock.ro.
- "Eurovision Romania: Jury and hosts to perform at Selecția Națională 2016 - ESCToday.com". February 29, 2016.
- "Trupa Zoli Toth Project lansează un nou concept artistic, "Cocoon", pe scena Eurovision". Mediafax.ro.
- "Concert de exceptie Zoli TOTH Project - #Cocoon, la Beraria H din Bucuresti (18 octombrie)". September 22, 2016.
- Chirilă, Raluca (August 24, 2017). "InfoMusic - stiri din muzica, artisti, concerte, cronici, concursuri". InfoMusic.
- ""Bach in ShowBiz" un turneu national electrizant".
- "Sala cu Orgă - Centrul Naţional al Muzicii de Cameră din Chişinau, Moldova". Sala cu Orgă - Centrul Naţional al Muzicii de Cameră din Chişinau, Moldova.
- "Bach in ShowBiz". trojmiasto.pl.
- "The Bach Files".
- "Zoli TOTH Project - la Bucharest Music Film Festival". Agenţia AMOS News.
- "BUCHAREST ROMANIA - 5 MAY 2016: The Zoli Toth Project with strings." 123RF.
- "Festivalul Spotlight: 3D Selfie, proiecţii pe cladiri, controlate de participanţi şi concert Zoli Toth, în perioada 5 - 8 mai". Mediafax.ro.
- "Carla's Dreams, Șuie Paparude, Golan, Gojira, Zoli Toth @ Visual Art Fest". www.zilesinopti.ro.
- "Programul manifestărilor de 1 Decembrie din București". Libertatea. November 29, 2017.
- "Revelion 2018 în stradă, în București". VIRGIN RADIO ROMANIA. December 22, 2017.
- "Zoli Toth este ... Home Alone, la ARCUB - Cultura - HotNews.ro". www.hotnews.ro. March 12, 2019.
- "Mergem la un concert?". October 23, 2018.
- "'Home Alone' - spectacol prezentat de Zoli Toth şi Cosmin Rafael Bălean în cadrul Festivalului Internațional 'Timișoara Muzicală'". Radio România Muzical.
- "Mastering the Music Business 2019 la București - BILETE". InfoMusic.
- "LINEUP Dakini Festival 2019". Dakini Festival 2019.
- "Zoli Toth la Festivalul Sinaia Forever 2019 | Sinaia … "Perla Carpatilor"". September 8, 2019.
- "Cantus Mundi". www.cantusmundi.ro.
- "CONCERT/ ZOLI TOTH & YOUNG BEATS | Filarmonica Brasov". www.filarmonicabrasov.ro.
- "Peter Szego: M. O. M., Resonances, Incantations & other works". Presto Classical.
- "Concertul de închidere a stagiunii Orchestrei Naţionale Radio". Radio România Muzical.
- "VIDEO Concert pentru percutie si orchestra "Domino", la Filarmonica timisoreana - Cultura - HotNews.ro". www.hotnews.ro. March 22, 2011.
- "Zoli Toth, un artist pop pe scena Festivalului "George Enescu" | Stiri". Viva.ro. September 12, 2011.
- Piloff, Autor: Mădălina (September 7, 2011). "Festivalul "George Enescu": Filarmonica "Banatul" răsună în Piaţa Enescu". Evenimentul Zilei.
- "Festivalul „Enescu": Zoli Toth va cânta cinci piese în premieră mondială absolută". LaRevista.ro. September 25, 2013.
- "Ziua 4 - Festivalul Internațional George Enescu". Radio România Muzical.
- "Zoli de la Sistem se alătura campaniei Romania fara Cianuri". Green Report. October 3, 2007.
- "Zoli Toth, un ambassador foarte activ". Libertatea. March 19, 2009.
- "Zoli Toth, Ambasador Eco premiant!". October 7, 2013.
- "„Let`s Do It, Romania!" prezintă Echipa Naţională de Acţiune". August 24, 2011.
- Report, Redacția Green (August 28, 2009). ""Recicleaza! Acum ai cum", o noua campanie marca Zoli Toth". Green Report.
- "TEDxClimateActionProject | TED". www.ted.com.
- Report, Redacția Green (October 10, 2008). "Green Report a revenit la TVR". Green Report.
- "Zoli Toth se alătură Habitat for Humanity România". www.bursa.ro.
- "Zoli Toth, la munca de jos, într-un sat din Dâmboviţa". Click.
- "Biciclete de la Zoli Toth". Hope and Homes for Children Romania.
- "Andra, Smiley, Alexandru Tomescu, Marius Manole, Zoli Toth on the Romanian Athenaeum Stage for the 6th Edition of the Hope Concert". Hope and Homes for Children Romania.
- "Despre Noi".
- B, C. (August 6, 2008). "A inceput Battle Of Songs 2008!".
- "SUNETUL MUZICII". BusinessMagazin.
- "Star Management lansează „ON AIR MUSIC AWARDS", gala oamenilor care contează în muzica autohtonă". LaRevista.ro. March 4, 2013.
- "Zoli Toth de la Sistem lanseaza Academia de Showbiz". Ziare.com.
- "[:ro]Zoli TOTH prezintă "Run", imnul Maratonului Bucuresti[:]". Bucharest Marathon - #RunInBucharest. October 6, 2017.
- "Zoli Toth este … Home Alone la ARCUB". www.arcub.ro.
- "Premiile de mediu - „Spune-mi ce ai facut pentru mediu si iti dau un premiu!"". www.stiri.ong.
- "Un an excelent pentru Sistem | E-Zine". www.e-zine.ro.
- "Luminita Anghel & Sistem premiati de revista VIP - Arhiva noiembrie 2007 - HotNews.ro". www.hotnews.ro. May 6, 2005.
- "Zoli TOTH". George Enescu Festival. July 28, 2015.
- "Turneu exploziv marca Zoli Toth". A1.RO.