|Add a Photo|
Winton Keenen is a British police officer, appointed unanimously in 2018 as Chief Constable of Northumbria Police. Keenan replaced Steve Ashman who had served as Chief Constable for two years from 2015. As Chief Constable, Keenan controls approximately 4,980 police officers.
Winton Keenen began his police career with Northumbria Police in 1985 and worked as a police constable within the Sunderland region. In 2003 Keenan was deployed with the police to Iraq where he assisted in the development of local police forces through helping to establish a police training facility. Keenen also provided advice to senior police officers in the country during this time.
Following his time in Iraq, Keenen returned to the Northumbria region and was appointed to multiple leadership roles.
After 29 years in the force, he was appointed Assistant Chief Constable of Northumbria Police in 2014.
Chief Constable of Northumbria Police
In March 2018, Winton Keenen was announced as the new Chief Constable of Northumbria Police.
As a result of increased media attention in 2019 surrounding stabbings across the country and in the region, Keenen announced that an extra £2 million would be allocated to the force to tackle knife crime. This followed the high profile killing of a local teenager Connor Brown who was murdered in Sunderland city centre.
Keenen has been praised for his efforts to promote animal rights by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and has overseen the work of PC Peter Baker who was awarded an RSPCA Special Recognition award for his work to convict animal abusers.
- "Winton Keenen is Northumbria's new chief constable". ITV News. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "Northumbria police chief to step down". BBC News. 2017-08-01. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Whitfield, Graeme (2019-09-19). "Most Influential 2019: H-L". nechronicle. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "Northumbria Police - Senior Management Team". beta.northumbria.police.uk. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "Police expect £2million to combat knife crime, South Tyneside councillors told". www.shieldsgazette.com. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "Connor Brown murder: Knifeman given life sentence for killing Sunderland teenager in stabbing". www.sunderlandecho.com. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- Pereira, Karuna (2019-10-01). "The Northumbria Police officer who has brought animal abusers to justice". nechronicle. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "Wildlife officer collects national RSPCA award after bringing animal abusers to justice". beta.northumbria.police.uk. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
This article "Winton Keenen" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.