|Add a Photo|
|Died||2003 (aged 94–95)|
|Alma mater||Bauhaus art school|
Wilfred Franks (1908-2003) was a British artist who trained at the Staatliche Bauhochschule (de) in Weimar, Germany from 1929-1930. Franks also attended classes at the Bauhaus art school in Dessau, although he was not officially enrolled at the school. On his return to England Franks worked with a mining community in the Village of Boosbeck in the northeast of England, teaching a group of unemployed miners how to design and make furniture. It was through his involvement with Boosbeck that Franks got to know the composer Michael Tippett. Franks and Michael Tippett were involved in an intense love affair during the 1930s, and Tippett dedicated his String Quartet no.1 to Franks. Wilf Franks was a Trotskyist political activist, and on Sunday 4 October 1936, he was arrested (and later sentenced to 28 days hard labour) while helping to block a march by the British Union of Fascists (BUF), during the The Battle of Cable Street. In the late 1930s Franks became an actor, performing on numerous early BBC Television shows, including The Pilgrims Progress (1939) and The Insect Play (1939) Franks became a designer at the Ford Motor Company at Dagenham and later a lecturer in design at Leeds Polytechnic.
- Powers, Alan (2019). Bauhuas Goes West. Modern Art And Design in Britain And America. London: Thames & Hudson. pp. 184–186. ISBN 978-0-500-51992-9.
- "New Boosbeck Industries". visitmima.com. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- Chase, Malcolm; Whyman, Mark (1991). Heartbreak Hill. A Response to Unemployment in East Cleveland in the 1930s. Cleveland County Council & Langbaurgh-on-Tees Borough Council. pp. 26–27. ISBN 0904784207.
- Gloag, Kenneth; Jones, Nicholas (2013). The Cambridge Companion to Michael Tippett. Cambridge University Press. pp. 89–90. ISBN 978-1-107-02197-6.
- Soden, Oliver (2019). Michael Tippett The Biography. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. p. 176. ISBN 978 1 4746 0602 8.
- "100 years since the founding of the Bauhaus". World Socialist Website.org. Retrieved 23 June 2020.
- Soden, Oliver (2019). Michael Tippett The Biography. London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 191–192. ISBN 978 1 4746 0602 8.
- "Wilfred Franks imdb". IMDB. Retrieved 21 June 2020.
- Powers, Alan (2019). Bauhuas Goes West. Modern Art And Design in Britain And America. Thames & Hudson. p. 186. ISBN 978 0 500 51992 9.
This article "Wilfred Franks" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.