Waiting for Color
|Waiting For Color|
|Directed by||Kosta Karakashyan|
|Narrated by||Ksenia Voronkova, Venya Gushchin|
|Music by||Julien Leitner|
|Backgrounds by||Andro Mathewson|
|August 27, 2018|
|Country||United States of America|
Waiting For Color is a documentary-dance film that showcases the persecution of LGBT people in Chechnya affected in the April 2017 Chechen Autonomous regional government's anti-gay purge under the leadership of Ramzan Kadyrov. Waiting for Color was made in response to the international outcry over the abduction, torture and extrajudicial killings of hundreds of gay men in the Chechen Republic, a semi-autonomous region of the Russian Federation. The film explores the paranoia, fear, trauma, brutality, arrests, blackmail and torture that LGBT people in Chechnya were subjected to by members of the regional government and even frequently their own family members. Kosta Karakashyan, the film's producer, director and only actor on screen, dances against recordings of real testimonies frompeople in Chechnya who were tortured and beatan because of their sexuality.
The film was independently produced by Kosta Karakashyan, in New York City, and was released on Youtube on August 27, 2018. It is also available on Facebook and Vimeo. It was released in collaboration with Single Step Foundation, a Bulgarian non-profit organization.
Waiting for Color has received mainly positive reviews and been awarded numerous awards.
- Prix Lumiere, Cinedanse Ottawa 2019
- Best Student Film, DanceScreen 2019
- Official Selection, Bronx Academy of Arts and Dance, 2019
- Official Selection, Flatpack Film Festival 2020
In the media
- Waiting for Color (2018) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-07-23
- Brammer, John Paul. "This Dance Documentary Shares Stories of Chechen LGBTQ+ Purge Survivors". them. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "Russia's Novaya Gazeta Publishes New Details Of Allegedly Missing, 'Executed' Chechens". RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Winship, Lyndsey (2020-05-12). "Flatpack screendance festival review – dance that leaps through the screen". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "WAITING FOR COLOR: Chechnya LGBTQ+ Persecution Documentary Dance Film - YouTube". www.youtube.com. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- WAITING FOR COLOR, retrieved 2020-07-23
- Movers, ADF's Movies By (2020-07-19), WAITING FOR COLOR, retrieved 2020-07-23
- "NEW YORK – WAITING FOR COLOR is a documentary dance film about the Chechen region of Russia. – LGBT World Beside". Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- "WAITING FOR COLOR". Kosta Karakashyan. Retrieved 2020-07-23.
- Waiting for Color (2018) - IMDb
- Waiting And Waiting Color Scheme » Blue » SchemeColor.com
- Waiting For Color – IMZ Media
- Documentary “Waiting For Color” Presents Chechen Gay
- Russian LGBT Network on Twitter: "WAITING FOR COLOR is a documentary dance film
This article "Waiting for Color" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.