|Add a Photo|
|Born||June 5, 1935|
|Awards||UGC National Swami Pranavananda Saraswati Award in Economics (2006)|
Ulaganathan Sankar, born in 1935, is a distinguished Indian economist. He shaped the career of many young scholars in the fields of econometrics and environmental economics in India. Besides teaching, he has been actively involved in many policy-oriented economics research in his entire career.
Education and career
After serving as Lecturer at Annamalai University, He completed Ph.D. in econometrics at the University of Wisconsin, Madison under the supervision of late Prof. Arnold Zellner in 1967. He was a Professor at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee for 10 years and returned to India in 1977. He played an instrumental role in the establishment of Department of Econometrics at the University of Madras in 1978, and Madras School of Economics in 1995. He was coordinator of the World Bank- Ministry ofEnvironment and Forests, Government of India, 1998-2002 He was member of Government of India delegation to the UN Conference on Environment and Development at Rio de Janeiro in 2012. He is currently Honorary Professor in Madras School of Economics.
His research interests varied over applied econometrics, economics of regulation, farm management, environmental economics, cost benefit analysis of India’s space programme, and trade and environment. His intellectual contributions in the field of environmental economics are significant.
Sankar was actively involved in the development of environmental economics in India. He was Coordinator of the World Bank-Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India, Capacity Building Programme in Environmental Economics in India, 1998-2002 ,which involved curriculum development, training of teachers, training of officials, award of overseas fellowships and India-specific research in environmental economics. He advised the Ministry of Environment and Forests on development of economic instruments for pollution control, ecotaxes on polluting inputs and outputs, biodiversity, and sustainable development. He also served on many committees of the Planning Commission, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, University Grants Commission, National Biodiversity Authority and Indian Council of Social Science Research. He was member of Tamilnadu Planning Commission during 2001-2004.
Awards and honours
- UGC National Swami Pranavananda Saraswati Award in Economics, 2006
- Fellow, South Asian Network for Development and Environmental Economics, 2009
- National Fellow, Indian Council of Social of Social Science Research, 2003, 2004
- Member, Tamilnadu State Planning Commission, 2001-2004.
- President, The Indian Econometric Society, 1993-94
- Post Doctoral Fellow in Public Utility Economics, 1971-72
- Ford Foundation Doctoral Dissertation Fellow, 1966-67
- Silver Jubilee Medal for Best Student in Economics in B.A. in St. Xavier’s College, Palayamkottai, 1955
He has published a large number of books, reports and articles in journals. Some selected books are:
- Controlling Pollution Incentives and Regulation with S.Mehta and S.Mundle, Sage Publications, New Delhi, 1997.
- Accelerating Growth Through Globalization of Indian Agriculture, with K.P. Kalirajan and G. Mythili, Macmillan India ltd, 2001
- Environmental Economics, Readers in Economics, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2001
- Trade and Environment, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2006
- The Economics of India’s Space Programme, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2007
- Ecotaxes on Polluting Inputs and Outputs, with R.j Chelliah, P.Appasamy and R.Pandey, Academic Foundation, New Delhi, 2007.
- Development and Public Finance with D.K. Srivastava, Sage Publications, New Delhi, 2012.
- Foreword by late Dr. Raja J. Chelliah (Minister of State, Finance & Chairman, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy, New Delhi) in the book Topics in Applied Economics: Tools, Issues and Institutions, A Festschrift Volume for Prof. U. Sankar, (Eds) G. Mythili and R.Hema, Academic Foundation, 2005
- Debroy, Bibek; Kaushik, P. D. (2005). Reforming the Labour Market. Academic Foundation. pp. 19–20. ISBN 978-81-7188-441-4.
- "Dr.Ulaganathan Sankar, Author at Madras School Of Economics". Madras School Of Economics. Retrieved 2020-06-22.
- Foreword by Dr. C. Rangarajan (former Governor, Reserve Bank of India) in the book Environment and Development: Essays in honour of Dr. U. Sankar, (Eds) K.R. Shanmugam and K.S. Kavikumar, Sage Publications, 2016. Review column of the book appeared in the journal South Asia Economic Journal, Vol 17 , issue 2, Sep 2016 and the magazine Frontline,17, February 2017
- Dr.Ulaganathan Sankar, Author at Madras School Of Economics
- Ulaganathan Sankar | IDEAS/RePEc
- Sankar Ulaganathan: Books - Amazon.in
- Ulaganathan Sankar - Academia.edu
- ulaganathan sankar ed - AbeBooks
- Ulaganathan Sankar (Author of Environmental Economics)
- Ulaganathan SANKAR | Madras School of Economics
This article "Ulaganathan Sankar" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.