Troutman Pepper is a national law firm with more than 1,200 attorneys in 23 U.S. cities. The firm formed on July 1, 2020 with the merger of Troutman Sanders LLP and Pepper Hamilton LLP. The combination was originally scheduled for April 1, 2020 but was delayed because of the coronavirus.
Primary legal practices include corporate, litigation, intellectual property, tax and bankruptcy, among others. Health sciences, energy, real estate, insurance, finance, private equity, construction and technology are among the largest industries served.
The law firm has offices in Atlanta, GA; Berwyn, PA; Boston, MA; Charlotte, NC; Chicago, IL; Detroit, MI; Harrisburg, PA; Los Angeles, CA; New York, NY; Orange County, CA; Philadelphia, PA; Pittsburgh, PA; Portland, OR; Princeton, NJ; Raleigh, NC; Richmond, VA; Rochester, NY; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; Silicon Valley, CA; Virginia Beach, VA; Washington, DC; and Wilmington, DE.
Troutman Pepper was formed by a merger between Troutman Sanders and Pepper Hamilton, two law firms headquartered in Atlanta and Philadelphia, respectively.
During its history, Troutman Sanders was known by a number of names, most notably for Carl E. Sanders, the late former Governor of Georgia and one of the firm's founding members.
- Walter T. Colquitt, Esq. (1897)
- Colquitt and Lumpkin (1897–1904)
- Colquitt and Conyers (1904–1917)
- Colquitt, Conyers and Latimer (1918–1930)
- Colquitt, Parker, Troutman and Arkwright (1930–1935)
- Colquitt, MacDougald, Troutman and Arkwright (1935–1937)
- MacDougald, Troutman and Arkwright (1937–1947)
- MacDougald, Troutman, Sams and Branch (1947–1949)
- MacDougald, Troutman, Sams and Schroder (1949–1953)
- Troutman, Sams, Schroder and Lockerman (1953–1971)
- Troutman, Sanders, Lockerman and Ashmore (1971–1992)
- Troutman Sanders LLP (1992–June 2020)
Pepper Hamilton was founded by George Wharton Pepper, a Philadelphia lawyer known for his argument in United States v. Butler. The firm was known by several names:
- George Wharton Pepper, Esq. (1890)
- Henry, Pepper, Bodine and Pepper (1900-1921)
- Henry, Pepper, Bodine & Stokes (1921-1922)
- Henry, Pepper, Bodine, Stokes & Schoch (1922-1940)
- Pepper, Bodine & Stokes (1940-1948)
- Pepper, Bodine, Stokes & Hamilton (1948-1960)
- Pepper, Hamilton & Scheetz (1960-1998)
- Pepper Hamilton LLP (1998-June 2020)
- January 09, Lizzy McLellan; AM, 2020 at 10:00. "Troutman Sanders, Pepper Hamilton Vote to Seal Merger Deal". The American Lawyer.
- July 01, Meredith Hobbs; AM, 2020 at 05:00. "Troutman Pepper Merger Goes Live, Even as Pandemic Keeps New Colleagues Apart". The American Lawyer.
- "Troutman Sanders, Pepper Hamilton Delay Merger for Virus (1)". news.bloomberglaw.com.
- "COVID-19 Delays Troutman Sanders, Pepper Hamilton Merger - Law360". www.law360.com.
- Maestro: The Life and Times of a Law Firm (Troutman, Sanders, Lockerman and Ashmore) by Doris Lockerman (The Harrison Company, 1982)
- "Pepper Hamilton LLP | Encyclopedia.com". www.encyclopedia.com.
This article "Troutman Pepper" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.