|Add a Photo|
Tomasz Jedrowski is a Polish author born in the Federal Republic of Germany in 1985. His debut novel, Swimming in the Dark, a gay love story set in the Polish People's Republic, was the subject of a "hotly contested publishing auction."
Tomasz Jedrowski’s parents migrated from Polish People's Republic to western Germany when the short-lived Solidarity trade union movement was suppressed by the Polish Communist Party. Born in Germany, Jedrowski earned a law degree at Cambridge, attended the University of Paris, and now is based in Poland surveying national identity and fashion.
Jedrowski writes in English, which he attributed to English's not having been "imposed on me. It’s not something that I happened to be born into. It’s just something I enjoyed from the very start, and I don’t feel like it’s my parents speaking through me when I’m writing in English, because we never spoke in English." His debut novel Swimming in the Dark was the object of a six-way auction won by Bloomsbury for the UK qnd Commonwealth and William Morrow for North America, the latter part of a six-figure contract.
Jedrowski cites Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin as a major influence in this writing, and Baldwin's novel plays a pivotal role in the novel, when the young protagonist Ludwik lends his copy to a stranger named Januszto. The two begin an intense sexual affair which plays out later in Warsaw in the 1980s during trade union agitation and a government crackdown.
Publishers Weekly gave the novel a starred review and described the work as a "dazzling debut charts an evocative sexual awakening and coming of age amid political unease in early 1980s Poland."
- Swimming in the Dark: A Novel. William Morrow (April 2020) ISBN 978-0062890009 Published simultaneously in Polish as Płynąc w ciemnościach OsnoVa (2020).
In the media
- Nogaś, Michał. "Tomasz Jędrowski: Myślałem o sobie jako o dziecku z chorymi pragnieniami. Czułem, że jestem zepsuty". WysokieObcasy.pl. Wydawnictwo Agora. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Field, Marcus. "Book review: Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski". Evening Standard. No. 13 February 2020. Evening Standard Ltd. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Taras, Ray. "Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski". World Literature Today. University of Oklahoma. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Juzwiak, Rich. "Swimming in the Dark Captures Love and Rebellion Among Men in 1980s Poland". Jezebel. G/O Media. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Friedman, Blake. "Tomasz Jedrowski's "Swimming In the Dark" Sold In a Six-Way Auction In UK and For a Six-Figure Deal In the US". BlakeFriendman.co.uk. Blake Friedmann Literary Agency Ltd. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Bollen, Christopher (21 February 2020). "The Author Tomasz Jedrowski Keeps Coming Back to Giovanni's Room". Interview Magazine. Crystal Ball Media. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- "Swimming in the Dark". Publishers Weekly. Publishers Weekly. 16 January 2020. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- "April 2020 Releases". Publishers Marketplace. PublishersLunch. Retrieved 4 October 2020.
- Tomasz Jedrowski on Instagram
- Tomasz Jedrowski – HarperCollins
- Tomasz Jedrowski's Debut Novel Tells Teenage Love Story In '80s Poland
- Tomasz Jedrowski Keeps Coming Back to "Giovanni's Room"
- Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski - Goodreads
- Swimming in the Dark by Tomasz Jedrowski | World Literature Today
This article "Tomasz Jedrowski" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.