|Add a Photo|
Tim Dominik Sparwasser
January 8, 1969
Tim Dominik Sparwasser (* 8 January 1969 in Mainz) is a German physician, microbiologist and infection immunologist. In 2018, Sparwasser followed a call from the University of Mainz and became director of the Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene (IMMH).
Sparwasser studied human medicine at the Johannes Gutenberg-University Mainz and at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich (LMU) as a scholarship holder of the Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes and received his doctor of medicine in 1996.  He continued his research work first at the Institute for Medical Microbiology, Immunology and Hygiene (MIH) at the Technical University Munich (TUM)and afterwards at the Skirball Institute as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Postdoctoral Fellow in New York.
In 2008, he habilitated at the MIH of the Technical University Munich and in the same year became director of the Institute of Infection Immunology at Twincore, Centre for Experimental and Clinical Infection Research, a joint venture of the Hannover Medical School (MHH) and the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research (HZI).
In 2018, Sparwasser accepted a call from the University of Mainz and became director of the Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene (IMMH), after he had previously declined a call from the Technical University Dresden in 2017.
Since 2014 he is a council member of the German Society of Immunology (DGfI) and 2018 he became a member of the steering committee of the Research Center for Immunotherapy (FZI) at the University of Mainz. In 2019, he was elected as German representative to the Council of the International Union of Immunology Societies (IUIS).  Sparwasser is one of the most frequently cited immunologists in Europe. Sparwasser ha pubblicato più di 200 articoli scientifici, di cui più di 200 sono elencati nel Science Citation Index. Sparwasser has published many scientific papers, of which more than 200 are listed in the Science Citation Index. The publications are cited more than 15000 times and his h-index is 62.
The main research interests of his laboratory at the Institute of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene are host-pathogen interactions.  Sparwasser was one of the first to recognize that microbial DNA sequences containing specific CpG motifs activate cells of the innate immune system and can therefore be used as adjuvants in experimental vaccination approaches. Using novel genetic models, Sparwasser for the first time directly demonstrated the role of so-called regulatory T cells in the prevention of autoimmunity as well as their importance in the adaptive immune response against tumor cells and various pathogens. Since 2010 Sparwasser has been working on the immune modulatory effects of bacterial metabolites and in particular on the metabolism of immune cells to improve immune responses and vaccinations.
Honors and awards
Sparwasser was a scholarship holder of the German National Academic Foundation. The German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology (DGHM) awarded him the DGHM prize in 1999. From 1999 to 2002 Sparwasser received the HHMI Postdoctoral Fellowship Award for Physicians.
In the media
- Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene/ Director
- https://dgfi.org/tim-sparwasser-ist-neuer-direktor-des-instituts-fuer-medizinische-mikrobiologie-und-hygiene%7CTim Sparwasser is the new director of the Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene. In: German Society for Immunology. 23. Juli 2020.
- Deutscher Ärzteverlag GmbH, Editorial office of Deutsches Ärzteblatt: Tasks and offices. 24. Oktober 2008, 23. Juli 2020.
- German Society for Immunology. "Advisory Board 2019-2020".
- 28.11.2019: Univ.-Prof. Dr. Tim Sparwasser elected as Council Member of the International Union of Immunological Societies (IUIS)| Research Center for Immunotherapy. 23. Juli 2020.
- Lab journal online: Citation Comparison 2011-2015: Immunology. 23. Juli 2020.
- Medizinische Mikrobiologie und Hygiene | Medical Microbiology and Hygiene » Research » Infection Immunology (Sparwasser Laboratory). 23. Juli 2020.
- Tim Sparwasser is the new director of the Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hygiene. In: idw Information Service Science. 23. Juli 2020.
- Promotional Award | German Society for Hygiene and Microbiology.23. Juli 2020.
- Thirty-six Physicians Awarded Support to Pursue Careers as Physician-Scientists. 23. Juli 2020 (englisch).
- Tim Sparwasser on Twitter
- Tim Sparwasser: IMB Mainz
- Tim Sparwasser (0000-0001-5645-902X) - ORCID
- Forschung » Infection Immunology (Sparwasser Laboratory)
- Tim SPARWASSER | Director | Prof. Dr. med. | Department of Medical Microbiology and Hygiene
- Metabolic pathways in T cell activation and lineage ... - PubMed
This article "Tim Sparwasser" is from Wikipedia. The list of its authors can be seen in its historical. Articles taken from Draft Namespace on Wikipedia could be accessed on Wikipedia's Draft Namespace.